Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Wyoming game        (Topic#11)
TigerDave 
goober

Reg: 11-21-04
11-21-04 08:08 PM - Post#56    

Anyone have thoughts on the Wyoming game? It's not easy winning on the road but if Princeton is for real they should win this game. I'm not predicting victory but merely saying that the expectations of a excellent season would seem to require a win in a game like this.

I guess it helps that Joe Scott knows Wyoming and led Air Force to two wins last season. Conversely, that may indicate Wyoming will be ready for Princeton-style basketball.

Domer72 
Domer72
Loc: Rural Iowa
Re: Wyoming game
11-21-04 08:13 PM - Post#57    
    In response to TigerDave

I'm going to go with the knowledge that Scott knowa Wyoming. Princeton is not the team we expected without Logan but let's keep our fingers crossed re Owings continuing his great play.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
11-21-04 09:52 PM - Post#58    
    In response to Domer72

Wyoming this year:

Two exhibitions:
Colorado School of Mines Laramie, Wyo. W, 76-72 (ot)

Sat 11/13/2004 Colorado at Colorado Springs Laramie, Wyo.W, 99-50

Wyoming Puts Down Alcorn St., 77-63
Justin Williams and Steve Leven score 16 points each in victory.

Nov. 19, 2004

LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The University of Wyoming Cowboy basketball team (1-0) opened their 2004-05 season at home on Friday night by downing the Alcorn State Braves (0-3), 77-63.

UW head coach Steve McClain used the depth of his bench to keep continuous pressure on Alcorn State, forcing 25 turnovers and coming up with 11 steals.

then: Falcons beak Alcorn State, 67-41

Alcorn fell to 0-4 on the season with a loss at Air Force Sunday afternoon.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Co. – Alcorn hung around but a 7-0 run by the Falcons at the start of the second half took the sails out of ASU as Air Force handed the Braves its fourth straight loss to start the year, 67-39.

The Tigers should have little trouble with WY, although the Cowboys have three players 6-10 and taller.

ptontn 

Loc: Philly
11-22-04 02:27 AM - Post#59    
    In response to internetter

Where can I find out which Princeton games will be broadcasted (either audio or video) on the internet? I'm out of the country for the year, so I can't make it to any games, unfortunately. Would love to catch a few of them on the internet, though.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
11-22-04 02:36 AM - Post#60    
    In response to ptontn

All game audio is available on internet. Some games have Gametracker also. Schedule with links:

http://goprincetontigers.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/prin-m-baskbl-sched.html

Tiger82 

Wyoming game in 2nd OT
11-23-04 03:20 AM - Post#61    
    In response to Brian Martin

56-56

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
11-23-04 04:47 AM - Post#62    
    In response to Tiger82

Boxscore observations:
I have no idea whether the calls were unfair, but the free throw spread is incredible.
Wyoming 14-41 fg (4-10 3fg) but 32-45 ft. How often does a team shoot more ft than fg?
Princeton 21-52 fg (9-28 3fg), 8-15 ft.
By stopping at 59, Princeton continued its streak of 18 straight wins when scoring 60.
Many system traditionalists disagree with me, but I do not like shooting more 3's than 2's on a regular basis. That is one reason the Tigers get few foul shots. However, Wallace needs to hit a few 3's. In the past two seasons, the offense has opened up for him and for everyone else whenever he hit a few outside shots. Savage had something of a breakout game with 12 points and 38 minutes.

ptontn 

Loc: Philly
11-23-04 11:20 AM - Post#63    
    In response to Brian Martin

Definitely frustrating not being able to see the game, especially with the foul stats mentioned earlier.

One question I have is: After Syracuse achieved such success with the zone last week, I would like to know if Wyoming was using zone or m2m ball. The 'Prince' said that Pton was practicing its zone offense all week. I'd like to know if it paid off last night.

One small positive I observed is that it sounded as though we were easily getting through their full-court press. Again, hard to tell, though, judging just by radio. Also, I'm glad we battled back toward the end of regulation when things seemed to be lost. 2OT Loss = Loss, though.

In any case, for those of us hoping/dreaming of a top 25 season, this is a win we needed to have.

Jon Solomon 
T.A.
Jon Solomon
Loc: Mercer County, NJ
Reg: 11-22-04
11-23-04 02:20 PM - Post#64    
    In response to ptontn

Wyoming played man-to-man all night.

Jon
http://www.princetonbasketball.com

BRHPr91 
goober
BRHPr91
Loc: Rochester, NY
11-23-04 02:55 PM - Post#65    
    In response to ptontn

Quote:

One small positive I observed is that it sounded as though we were easily getting through their full-court press.

Thanks to altitude (Laramie is at 7,000 feet), the Tigers may have paid a price for all that work by the time the second OT rolled around. It's one thing for Scott to take Air Force a couple thousand feet higher to play at Wyoming; it's another to take a sea-level team up in the mountains and ask them to play 50 minutes against a full-court press and man-to-man.

All of this discussion would have been academic if Wallace could have hit both of his free throws with 48 seconds left in regulation instead of going 1-2. Shades of Scrabis missing that last-minute FT against Georgetown. Going 8-15 from the line is completely inexcusable, especially when the other team has 30 more opportunities from the charity stripe.
The fans may or may not like a lot of passing, but I know they don't like losing. -- Pete Carril

nix23 
goober

Loc: NJ
11-23-04 09:56 PM - Post#66    
    In response to BRHPr91

Free throw shooting is definetly going to be the weak spot for this team, hopefully it won't cost them too many games.

TigerDave 
goober

11-23-04 11:15 PM - Post#67    
    In response to nix23

I find it hard to believe that Wyoming got to the line 45 times to Princeton's 15. I mean really.

Still, Princeton should have won this game and they didn't. Not a promising sign.

Anonymous 

11-24-04 10:50 AM - Post#68    
    In response to BRHPr91

I think you have a good point...taking a team that's had no exposure to high altitude out to play a game at 7100ft is asking for trouble. No matter what kind of shape someone is in, physical activity at this altitude is very difficult without some adjustment. It's not a coincidence that the Denver Nuggets and Utah Jazz have such glittering home records over the years (compared to their road records and the NBA's general road record) and opponents are only playing at 5000 ft in those cases.

I wouldn't take anything from this game if I were a PU fan, except that somewhat more logical scheduling should be considered.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.215 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:08 PM