Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Minnesota Game        (Topic#11149)
gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
12-05-10 08:59 PM - Post#90298    

(...so as not to hijack the Columbia forum)

I'm kinda in the middle on the nailbiter loss. Even if they had won, it wouldn't prove that Cornell is "for real" and is capable of being an Ivy darkhorse. That honor belongs to Yale thus far.

On the other hand, it does show that they're more than capable of playing spoiler by stealing one from Princeton or Harvard. Especially with the Tigers' FT shooting being frequently face-palm inducing. Hummer should expect hack-a-Shaq treatment.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Minnesota Game
12-05-10 10:15 PM - Post#90299    
    In response to gokinsmen

I basically agree with this sentiment. I imagine there's a lot of chest thumping going on in Cornell circles, but the performance was really nothing more than an underdog taking a high variance approach and cashing in.

If the Big Red had done something well or improved in one of its weak areas, it would be one thing, but Cornell just shot a ton of threes and hit at a high rate. Big Red still got dominated inside and couldn't make a two pointer to save its life.

CUJacob 
Senior

Reg: 12-05-04
Minnesota Game
12-06-10 01:43 AM - Post#90316    
    In response to mrjames

I don't think there's much chest thumping in Cornell circles at all. I think most people agree this team could finish anywhere from 3rd to 7th and would have to improve a lot in terms of rebounding and non-3-pt-shooting-offense to mount any kind of challenge to Harvard and Princeton.

My take is that if Errick Peck can play like he does against BCS teams against non-BCS teams, the Wroblewski-Wire-Peck-Ferr y group can be pretty effective and lead Cornell to 7-8 Ivy wins-- and there are plenty of folks on the Cornell blog who think that's too optimistic. There are also some people that think Cornell has a shot to win the league, but those people have been thinking that all season, not just after the Minnesota game.

Edited by CUJacob on 12-06-10 01:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Minnesota Game
12-06-10 10:46 AM - Post#90330    
    In response to CUJacob

I have Cornell at 8 Ivy wins right now and third place in the league.

Defensively, the Big Red has been outstanding. Nine or 10 wins isn't out of the question, though I think 7 or 8 is more likely.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.429 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:35 PM