Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Three point shooting        (Topic#112)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-02-04 01:38 PM - Post#503    

Maybe the biggest surprise for me thus far has been Brown's outstanding three point shooting -- as a TEAM, they're shooting at a 43% clip, as opposed to 31% for their opponents. That's incredible...

And probably not sustainable.

My concern is that because of the early success with the three, we'll start to over-rely on it. Among our top six scorers, 57% of their shots have been from three point land. That seems like an awful lot. Last year, our top five scorers took under 40% of their shots from three.

For gunners like Huffman and McAndrew, that's probably fine. But so much of Forte's game depends on his ability to penetrate. While it's great he's had such success with the three - even from NBA distance - I wouldn't want him to get too comfortable out there. 3 out of every 5 of his shots has been a three pointer, and I personally would like to see him taking guys off the dribble and getting to the hoop and the free throw line a little more. With the current success from outside, the middle should be open for Brown in a way it hasn't in a long time.

Thoughts?
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Three point shooting
12-02-04 01:54 PM - Post#504    
    In response to Bruno

I suspect Forte's increased 3 pt. activity is in reaction the kind of defensive schemes he is facing. Without much inside threat, defenses are zoning or giving extra help on Jason and Luke. I don't see this changing much in the near term, at least.

BrownAlum 
Freshman

Reg: 11-22-04
12-02-04 03:46 PM - Post#505    
    In response to Old Bear

I agreee with Old Bear with respect to Forte. Also, non conference teams tend to be bigger and when you couple that with the fact that our post guys aren't that great yet, the 3 becomes our best weapon. In the league it should be easier for Jason to get inside and hopefully the big guys will be able to contribute more to the offense, decreasing our dependence on the 3.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-03-04 02:06 AM - Post#506    
    In response to BrownAlum

Well, there's no doubt that Jason drove more during the Ivy season than he did in the non-conference season last year. But there's no reason he shouldn't be looking to penetrate. Jason has world-class quickness - he ought to be able to get inside against anybody, as I doubt too many teams are going to be double-teaming the point guard.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.22 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:15 PM