Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Finally.        (Topic#11270)
mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
12-31-10 12:00 AM - Post#91877    

Cornell 86 Wofford 80. The Terriers were KenPom's #123 team and a 7 point favorite based on the website. This was a solid win for a team that needed a win of any kind.

The story of the game is that Cornell was lights out from behind the arc. 15/21 (71%) as a team. Ferry was 7 for 8 and Wrobo 4 for 4. Simply put, if the Big Red had lost after shooting like that, it may have been time to throw in the towel on the season.

After eight losses in a row, I'm going to focus on the positives, because there are some:

1) Wrobo shot the ball well from the field, had 12 assists (to just 1 TO), earned 12 free throws (only hit 7) and grabbed 5 rebounds. His best all around game of the season. He is Cornell's only real option at PG, the team needs him to revert to form.

2) Peck really has turned the corner. 16 points on 6 of 9 shooting, 3 boards and a block. And no fouls. That's Peck's sixth straight game in double figures. He remains Cornell's only mid-range threat.

3) Osgood finished with 12 points on 6 of 9 shooting and 3 offensive boards. The last time I talked him up, he had three bad games and then got hurt. Still, he is Cornell's only legitimate inside scoring presence. His play in Richmond is making me optimistic again that the Big Red can count on him.

What about leading scorer Drew Ferry? You may think he ran over my dog based on my lack of love for the guy, but the stat line is really pretty empty other than exceptional three point shooting. Four other points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists. Everyone looks great when they hit 7 three-pointers in 8 tries. But his season average says he's a 33.7% shooter from downtown, or just barely below the national average. I'll take his numbers tonight, but when he reverts to his usual 3/8 or 2/7, he's 30+ minutes of fairly average two guard play. He deserves to start on this team, but I don't see an "all-Ivy" guy or the "best player on the team."

And that's my biggest concern -- this really feels like an outlier for a three point dependant team. You're supposed to win when you hit 71% from behind the arc, and if Cornell shoots a still exceptional 50% they probably lose. Even BRF would have to concede that they aren't shooting this well again.

Throw in that the defense was less than stellar(Wofford shot over 50%) and Cornell nearly blew a 17 point lead with 11 minutes and change to go, and there are still big concerns. Cornell has five guys who have shown the potential to be double digit scorers. Two (Ferry and Groebe) are three point bombers exclusively, and Groebe is too streaky to count on. That leaves Wrobo, Peck and Osgood. If all three click, this team can look good. But, that leaves no room for error. so someone else needs to step up. We're hours away from 2011 and 12 games into the season and I have no idea who it would be.

Still, that's for another day. Snapping an eight game losing streak feels good and I will sleep well and thing of the positives.

Edited by mountainred on 12-31-10 12:04 AM. Reason for edit: Ferry didn't deserve the knock I had. Not tonight at least.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Finally.
12-31-10 01:02 AM - Post#91880    
    In response to mountainred

This pretty much sums up my feelings about Cornell. On one hand, they shot 15/21 from 3 and only won by 6. On the other hand, holy crap, they shot 15/21 from 3!!

In other words, I don't see any way Cornell can be a darkhorse this year, but I still live in fear of the spoiler upset when Princeton plays them. The Tigers (or Crimson) could play a fine game, but your snipers might just hit a bunch of contested 3s and pull one out.

mountainred 
Masters Student

Re: Finally.
12-31-10 09:56 AM - Post#91892    
    In response to gokinsmen

Sure, rain on my New Year's parade.

Still, I can't disagree. Wrobo, Peck, Wire and Osgood could form the core of a decent Ivy team. Ferry and to a lesser extent Groebe are "x-factors" that can elevate a team with their shooting on a given night. That looks like a 7-7 team who can bite someone when the shots are falling.

Changing subjects, now that Kinsmen has ruined my mood, is that Cornell's rotation (as best you can figure it out) has just one underclassmen. At 3-9 there are minutes out there to be earned and the youngsters aren't doing it.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Finally.
12-31-10 02:50 PM - Post#91903    
    In response to mountainred

I mean, sometimes you just have to accept a rebuilding year. It's not like Cornell is in as bad shape as Princeton was during SJ's first year.

mountainred 
Masters Student

01-02-11 10:10 AM - Post#91971    
    In response to gokinsmen

Fair enough, it's just that as a Cornell fan I don't have a lot of experience in rebuilding. Building, sure. Re-building, not so much.

I'm not sure that 2010-11 is a rebuilding year, so much as a laying fallow year. You don't rebuild with line-up that is half seniors. I wouldn't be surprised if Courtney is just making the best of this season that he can and then come back next year with five of his recruits (which looks like a good class) and hoping for better health from Scelfo and Tarwater. After the last three seasons, I can live with that.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.251 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:24 PM