Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: Recruiting update        (Topic#11527)
villaloyola 
Freshman

Reg: 03-07-07
02-09-11 07:34 PM - Post#96110    

Just a couple of quick updates:

1. David Samuels from The Phelps School is still committed to Loyola and should be a welcomed addition next year.
2. Desmond Williams- from the Putnam Science school in CT is a 6'4" SG that has an offer from Loyola. He has about 10 other offers, or near offers, but I think we are in the lead. He is Jordan Williams' younger brother so you may be able to figure out how we have "an in" with him.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
02-09-11 08:06 PM - Post#96120    
    In response to villaloyola

good stuff, glad to hear Samuels is still committed to Loyola.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
02-15-11 06:14 PM - Post#96900    
    In response to loco09

Brandon Ford committed to Howard. We didnt offer his "desired major" of physical therapy. Apparently he really wanted to come to Loyola and Loyola really wanted him but the father wouldnt stop until he got his way. Best of luck to him. It def. sounds like there is more to it than a lack of physical therapy major.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/recruitinginsider...

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-11-11 08:10 AM - Post#100193    
    In response to loco09

Chen Cai commits per twitter.

@CoachPapLA Andrew Papaefthemiou
Chen "David" Cai has commit to Loyola, MD! Congrats David!
13 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® Favorite Retweet Reply
Retweeted by recruitrecon

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
03-11-11 10:09 AM - Post#100198    
    In response to loco09

Will he be eligible? Seems the kid comes attached to controversey.

• Quote:
The 6' 8" Chinese born star was given more than $ 30,000 in gifts and cash by agents to come to the USA.

The CIF-San Diego section declared Chen Cai '11 ineligible for the 2010-11 season. According to a CIF report two former China-based Nike employees, Terry Rhoads and Frank Sha of Zou Marketing, helped recruit Cai to the USA and play at Maranatha (San Diego, CA); as reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune on September 28, 2010.

Chen Cai was given $ 30,000 worth of living expenses and training; which included three trips to the USA for his parents.

Apparently Maranatha head coach Rle Nichols also assisted in bringing Chen Cai to Maranatha and he has resigned.

Maranatha did self report the major violations once the information became available but the Pastor at the church based private school admitted that he knew about some of the arrangements but wasn't sure what to do about the situation.

The CIF-San Diego section accepted Maranatha's offer of forfeiting all games played with Chen Cai during the past three years in which Maranatha reached the section championship game all three years. The CIF section also put Maranatha on probation for three years until 2012-13.

Rle Nichols and the two agents, Terry Rhoads and Frank Sha also worked with Yao Ming in the past.

Two other Maranatha players were also declared ineligible last year because of recruiting violations.

Chen Cai transferred to Lee Academy prep school in Maine for his senior season.

The Skills: Nice snap pass, decent long range shot and a developing hook shot to go with his 6' 8" frame makes Chen Cai a nice college prospect but may not be eligible for college because of the gifts.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
03-11-11 10:14 AM - Post#100199    
    In response to jdp 94

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/08/pre...

• Quote:
Prep star who left amid controversy lands in Maine

CIF accepts Maranatha forfeits, adds three years of probation but clears player of certain violations

By Brent Schrotenboer, UNION-TRIBUNE

Monday, November 8, 2010 at 5:35 p.m.

Charlie Neuman

Chen Cai averaged 25.7 points and 16.6 rebounds per game last season at Maranatha.
Related story
China-based marketers linked to Chen
Chinese high school basketball star Chen Cai has enrolled at a prep school in Maine after leaving Maranatha Christian Schools amid controversy.

Chen declined comment when reached at his new private boarding school, the Lee Academy, whose basketball program is known for its many Division I college prospects and “ties to the NBA.”

In the season opener Friday, Chen scored 15 points. School officials said his grades so far are A’s or B’s.

“It’s a place you can excel on and off the floor,” Lee coach Andrew Papaefthemiou said. “It is a place where they get exposure. We play a pretty good schedule and so forth. That’s sort of been our calling card.”

The Lee Academy’s website describes itself as a program “designed to assist students with the academic transition to a two- or four-year school.” It says its basketball program has “developed ties with major scouting services, Big East, Big 12, America East schools and the NBA.”

Chen played at Maranatha the previous three years but was declared ineligible amid an investigation into the boys basketball program. As a result of the investigation, the school offered to forfeit every game in which Chen played. The San Diego Section of the California Interscholastic Federation accepted those penalties in a letter dated Oct. 22 while also adding three years of probation through 2012-13. Chen’s coach at Maranatha, Rle Nichols, resigned under pressure.

Chen referred questions to his counsel in Oakland, Philip Boyle, an immigration attorney who has promoted professional soccer in China. Boyle declined to answer questions about documents obtained by The San Diego Union-Tribune in which a sports marketer based in China stated in an e-mail that he and his business partner “spent more than $30,000 on this kid (Chen), not to mention paying his living bills, paying the training, paying the parents to come to the U.S. three times.” The statement came from an e-mail sent to Chen’s local host family from Frank Sha of China-based Zou Marketing, a sports marketing company that has promoted American sports in China.

The e-mail does not state Chen received anything directly, only that money was spent on him as if it were an investment. The Union-Tribune previously reported it wasn’t known how much, if at all, Chen was aware of any such expenditures on his behalf. Terry Rhoads, marketing director at Zou in Shanghai, said there was “no need to explain” the e-mail referencing the $30,000. He only said it was a “long story,” a “misunderstanding” and that Sha was not a native English speaker.

The Oct. 22 CIF letter said it concluded Chen did not violate bylaws involving wearing his team uniform while appearing in an advertisement. It also said he did not violate bylaws that forbid accepting financial rewards for his athletic performance or the receipt of financial inducement to attend a CIF school. Boyle released statements he said were from Chen and his mother saying they were “grateful” and “relieved” Chen was cleared of those violations. Nichols also sent a statement that said he was pleased Chen was cleared of those violations.

Boyle declined to answer questions about the marketers’ involvement with Chen. Boyle said in an e-mail that Chen’s ineligibility at Maranatha “is based on the conduct of (Maranatha) adults.” Chen was ruled ineligible because Maranatha was found to have violated rules involving impermissible recruiting and the failure to disclose pre-enrollment contact with Chen or his representatives.

A message left for Maranatha was not returned.

“Recent circumstances have been difficult for all involved,” Nichols’ statement said. “I continue to love both the mission and people of Maranatha Chapel and Maranatha Christian schools.”

The marketers, both former Nike employees in China, have represented Chinese athletes. Rhoads scouted current Chinese NBA star Yao Ming from an early age. Sha helped Yao move to the United States to play in the NBA.

In this case, Rhoads said he and Sha were “big brother” figures to Chen and said he knew him since Chen was 11.

The statement said to be from Chen stated that Chen was “sad that people close to me created a lot of unnecessary drama and hurt feelings.”

“I cherished the opportunity to be a student at Maranatha and despite all the sadness of the last two months, I can never forget the many happy memories of being a student and living in San Diego,” the statement said.

Lee headmaster Bruce Lindberg said the Lee Academy has several Asian and other international students and that Chen came there after he received a call from his family. He called Chen a “perfect citizen.”

Brian 
Senior

Reg: 07-24-06
03-11-11 12:46 PM - Post#100222    
    In response to jdp 94

Another 6' 8" player who has a long range game and a "developing hook shot"? But this one brings eligibility issues and controversial history. Not crazy about this commit.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Recruiting update
03-11-11 05:37 PM - Post#100264    
    In response to Brian

Hopefully Patsos and company investigated the issues to make sure he would be eligible per NCAA standards. This team needs size and maybe he will develop into a nice player. The clips I have seen seem to show him as not very athletic but a bulky kid that has some talent. I think David Samuels if he shows up will be much more likely to contribute earlier in his career than Chen Cai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQAK9WJUKqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDzioGL9o8

He reminds you a little of a Michael Tuck type.

Edited by loco09 on 03-11-11 05:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bigb 
Freshman

Reg: 01-30-07
03-20-11 10:30 AM - Post#101998    
    In response to loco09

In case you guys missed the Baltimore Sun article on David:
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/rec...

Brian 
Senior

03-21-11 08:52 AM - Post#102098    
    In response to bigb

Nice little highlight reel, but looks like it was all from the same game. Also seemed like he was at least 4 inches taller than anyone else on the court.

“David’s a great pick-and-pop guy,” Papaefthemiou said. “We used him a lot with pick and rolls. He can stretch defenses very well, as well as score on the block. He can go both ways. He has good handles for a big guy, and he’s a face-up 4. He’s pretty crafty with the basketball.”

With all the games I've watched over the past 7 years, the pick and roll never struck me as a part of the arsenal. And again, a "face-up 4" - I'd rather have one who can play with his back to the basket or step out if needed, not the other way around.

phillyhound 
Junior

Reg: 11-30-06
03-21-11 12:21 PM - Post#102113    
    In response to Brian

Who's the last back to the basket player Loyola had? Blanchard Hurd?

greyhound 
Freshman

Reg: 11-23-09
03-21-11 01:29 PM - Post#102116    
    In response to phillyhound

I'm surprised by Chen Cai's versatility for his size. Not too impressed with the rest of those clips...he's playing against an all white team from San Diego...not exactly a good measure of talent level.

Brian 
Senior

03-21-11 01:50 PM - Post#102120    
    In response to greyhound

I think Blanchard Hurd is a stretch for that classification. He sure like the jumper a lot. I might go back to BJ Pendleton for a pure back to the basket player. I thought Tuck and Israel (more so his senior year) played the post well and it worked nicely w/ the outside threats we had.

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
Re: cruiting update
03-21-11 10:10 PM - Post#102185    
    In response to loco09

Can you imagine this kid trying to score against the St Peters D??

For all that baggage, I'd want a lot more than another soft big man with an outside shot...

aighounds03 
Freshman

Reg: 09-23-08
03-22-11 10:51 AM - Post#102209    
    In response to WOFM

Personally, I wasn't impressed by that clip of this kid. Obviously that is just a tiny sample, but there is nothing there to get excited about. As others have mentioned, it looks like the competition is small & unathletic and he doesnt show any back the basket moves. Also, he doesn't look 6'8''.

Any word on David Samuels? I'd be much more excited to if he was a definite committ.

Scott 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-25-06
03-22-11 12:50 PM - Post#102213    
    In response to Brian

I'd say Rod Platt was the last back to the basket player.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
04-04-11 08:34 PM - Post#103195    
    In response to Scott

Saw this tweet the other day on a 2012 recruit. Isaiah Miles a 6-8 forward. He has some high major interest so I doubt we have a legit chance at landing him but it is good to see us going after the local guys.

@scoutsfocus Joe Davis
Isaiah Miles, a 6'8 2012 PF/SF of Baltimore Elite, claims offers from Xavier, UMASS, USF, St Joes, & Loyola. Interest from Maryland.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
04-07-11 07:30 PM - Post#103634    
    In response to loco09

2011 guard Tyler Hubbard of Montrose Christian (MD) will take an official visit to Loyola (MD) this weekend

Per recruitscoop twitter

MacDog 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-21-06
04-07-11 08:21 PM - Post#103638    
    In response to loco09

That kid shot the living #%$@ out of the ball against John Carroll at the NHSI. He is tough!

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
04-08-11 05:10 PM - Post#103754    
    In response to MacDog

6-8 Freshman forward Jordan Latham is transferring from Xavier. He is from B'More and said he wants to get closer to home and get playing time.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2011/04/ 08/lath...

Could be a nice addition for Patsos.

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.33 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:19 PM