Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Bench players        (Topic#11642)
1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
02-26-11 10:27 AM - Post#97967    

Verizon crapped out at my house. No phone, no internet. So I drove up from Baltimore for the game. 4.5 hours on the road for a two hour game, but well worth it.

As Coach J said after the game, once we decided to attack the press, we destroyed them. Second half, just superior one on one basketball within a team concept.

Barrett looked very good. Quick hands on defense, and excellent shooting stroke. He looked uncomfortable off the dribble, but perhaps this will come.

Darrow is a very solid player. He pulled one tough offensive rebound, but missed the put back. He shot quickly, fading away. I would have preferred to see him gather and attack the rim.

I really liked what I saw of Hazel. The only other game I saw in person was St. Jo, and I don't recall he played much if at all. Yesterday's box shows only five minutes, mostly as a defensive sub for Davis. Hazel is very quick and fluid laterally, keeps his balance, doesn't use his hands, and blocked a Wrobo shot.

TJ Bray looks comfortable on defense. On the offensive end, when he gets the ball he still looks to pass immediately. Even if that is his intent, I would like to see him a little more deceptive, especially with his eyes.

I watched Connolly during warm up, and he has a real nice shooting stroke. The team plays well with him down low on both ends, and he got out on the break on one occasion. It is still not clear to me why he plays so few minutes.

Tonight's game will be over when I touch down in ski country. I am very sad that I can't be there for the seniors' last game.

The question for next year is at the second guard spot. Who will fill Mavraides shoes? Bray or Hazel will need to score.

BTW, loved how Mav played to the student section. Also, midway through the second half, he drove to the hoop on Wrobo, manhandled him, scored, and then turned around and nonchalantly almost knocked Wrobo down running back to the defensive end.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Bench players
02-26-11 09:18 PM - Post#98005    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Lost in Dan's heroics tonight was the vital bench play we got. Darrow, Barrett, and Bray all contributed in unique ways. Missed some easy buckets, but that'll smooth out with more PT next year. Barrett really flashed some spectacular, smothering defense on Agho tonight. Also made a couple great drives to the hoop he couldn't quite finish (but got FTs).

I see Bray taking on most of Dan's role next year because of his size and smarts, but Bray could also play swingman against smaller teams. In which case, I'd like to see potential snipers Hazel and Clay Wilson get big minutes alongside Davis/Clement.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Bench players
02-27-11 11:43 AM - Post#98082    
    In response to gokinsmen

I was able to listen to the game on the airplane--thank God, as there was a 170 knot headwind, so the flight took an hour longer than usual.

Anyway, Noah Savage was discussing the fact that Barrett needs to finish stronger, and he mentioned that Barrett can jump higher than Maddox, based on observations in practice. If so, perhaps next year we can see some "Maddoxian" plays by Barrett.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Bench players
02-27-11 07:24 PM - Post#98146    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

He'd need to put on at least 20 lbs. during the off-season. Or else he won't be able to finish against contact like Kareem.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.385 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:27 PM