Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 1 of 4 1234
Username Post: Hot Seat Part 3: Should he stay or should he go now?        (Topic#11715)
jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
03-05-11 08:52 PM - Post#98937    

Seven years in, another MAAC tourney in the books.... Is it time to turn the page and end the Patsos era?

Should Loyola go change direction and install a new coach at Loyola?
Yes, it's time to turn the page.
No, Jimmy should come back for at least another season.
You may choose one option.
Votes accepted from 03-05-11 08:51 PM to 03-05-12 08:51 PM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Re: Hot Seat Part 3: Should he stay or should he go now?
03-06-11 11:40 AM - Post#99070    
    In response to jdp 94

MAAC Tourny results under Patsos:

2011 – Q – (4) Saint Peter's 70, (5) Loyola 60
2010 – P – (8) Loyola 79, (9) Manhattan 94
2009 – P – (8) Loyola 68, (9) Canisius 74
2008 – Q – (4) Loyola 64, (5) Fairfield 59
2008 – S – (1) Siena 65, (4) Loyola 63
2007 – Q – (3) Loyola 76, (6) Fairfield 72
2007 – S – (2) Niagara 89, (3) Loyola 79
2006 – P – (6) Loyola 72, (9) Canisius 74
2005 – P – (6) Manhattan 88, (9) Loyola 67

Total Record: 2-7
Record as higher seed: 2-3
Record as lower seed: 0-4
Play in record: 0-4
Quarter record: 2-1
Semis record: 0-2

No Finals appearance.
No players named to All-Tourny team.

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
03-07-11 02:07 PM - Post#99292    
    In response to jdp 94

And even Patsos himself says at this level, it's all about league play. So we should be satisfied if we avoid the play-in round, or should we expect to get the finals every once in a while, or at least the semis?

Personally I hope Towson chases JP and convinces him the CAA is a better place to be...

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-07-11 03:23 PM - Post#99314    
    In response to WOFM

• WOFM Said:
And even Patsos himself says at this level, it's all about league play. So we should be satisfied if we avoid the play-in round, or should we expect to get the finals every once in a while, or at least the semis?

Personally I hope Towson chases JP and convinces him the CAA is a better place to be...

It is pretty amazing that Loyola has not had a coach leave for a bigger job since Skip Prosser.

Ellerbe and Guadio landed big jobs indirectly due to strange and tragic circumstances, respectively.

WOFM 
Freshman

03-07-11 04:06 PM - Post#99326    
    In response to jdp 94

CAA a notch above the MAAC, but not sure the Towson job is a step up from Loyola.

Then again, with the new AD and the new arena coming, it might not be that hard to sell it.

Win-win for us, we'd lose JP and get a chance to improve, and it would likely result in more down years for TU! ;>)

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-07-11 04:31 PM - Post#99329    
    In response to WOFM

Imagine what it would be like if we lived in alternative universe where the local sports media actually cared to follow the local programs and thus held the schools/coaches accountable?

Loyola basketball: Death by apathy.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
03-07-11 05:16 PM - Post#99336    
    In response to jdp 94

I've turned around on this. I would give him one more year. Though I have to say I wouldn't complain much if the AD went the other direction.
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

phillyhound 
Junior

Reg: 11-30-06
03-07-11 05:56 PM - Post#99339    
    In response to jdp 94

• jdp 94 Said:
Total Record: 2-7
Record as higher seed: 2-3
Record as lower seed: 0-4
Play in record: 0-4
Quarter record: 2-1
Semis record: 0-2

No Finals appearance.
No players named to All-Tourny team.

A similar winning % to the immortal Scott Hicks who was 1-4 in the MAAC tourney.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
03-07-11 06:04 PM - Post#99342    
    In response to phillyhound

Basically it comes down to 2 schools of thought:

1) We are coming off of a decent season with alot of young talent and Patsos should be able to see what he can do with it.

2) He's had 7 years to win with his players and has not even made a tourney final, and at some point you have to move in a new direction.

I'm somewhere on the fence here because I like Patsos and what he has done for the school and think we could be really good next year, but at the same time I am tired of watch this team play so inconsistently and come up short in the big games and 7 or 8 years is a long time for a coach to be around and never produce anything other than mediocrity.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-07-11 06:07 PM - Post#99343    
    In response to phillyhound

• phillyhound Said:

A similar winning % to the immortal Scott Hicks who was 1-4 in the MAAC tourney.

I think the comparison ends there. Patsos at least has half of the job down... He can bring in talent. He just can't coach them well enough for them to improve and win. Back with Hicks we were bringing in second-team all Toronto (suburbs, not city) guys who didn't improve.
Jesus loves me.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-07-11 06:12 PM - Post#99345    
    In response to loco09

• loco09 Said:
Basically it comes down to 2 schools of thought:

1) We are coming off of a decent season with alot of young talent and Patsos should be able to see what he can do with it.

2) He's had 7 years to win with his players and has not even made a tourney final, and at some point you have to move in a new direction.

I'm somewhere on the fence here because I like Patsos and what he has done for the school and think we could be really good next year, but at the same time I am tired of watch this team play so inconsistently and come up short in the big games and 7 or 8 years is a long time for a coach to be around and never produce anything other than mediocrity.

I think this is a pretty good summary. The only thing I would add is most coaching hires fail. We have a new young AD who has never had to hire high-profile before, and we have no idea how he will do. That uncertainty is enough to tip the scale for me right now, though the leash is getting really short.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-07-11 06:30 PM - Post#99348    
    In response to Lou

• Lou Said:
  • phillyhound Said:

I think the comparison ends there. Patsos at least has half of the job down... He can bring in talent. He just can't coach them well enough for them to improve and win. Back with Hicks we were bringing in second-team all Toronto (suburbs, not city) guys who didn't improve.

True. But to be fair to suburban Toronto, without Michael Tuck, Patsos would be 0-7 in the MAAC tourny all-time.

greyhound 
Freshman

Reg: 11-23-09
03-07-11 11:57 PM - Post#99403    
    In response to jdp 94

Let's take it easy on our fellow alums. Michael Tuck and Shane James are probably the two best recruits Hicks had...and they're above all else, they are both great kids.

If Jimmy was to leave, what about Gaudio returning?

baltimore baller 
Freshman

Reg: 12-24-10
03-08-11 12:14 AM - Post#99406    
    In response to greyhound

Please....I was at the St. Peter's-Loyola game. St. peter's played terrific ball. We couldn't score to save our lives. No coach can play the game for his team. We came within 3 down the stretch, but on-the-court player decisions put a halt to a possible comeback.

St. Peter's dominated against Iona in the final, which is no great surprise to anyone in Webster Arena on Saturday night. Had you seen the quarterfinals on Saturday night, you would easily have grasped that the four St. Peter's seniors on the floor made them the obvious bet for champs.

That said, had we beat them on Saturday, I think we would have competed and probably beaten Iona in the Championship game.

Onwards and Upwards.

wespearl 
Freshman

Reg: 01-10-11
03-08-11 08:57 AM - Post#99428    
    In response to baltimore baller

Balt Baller, well said, all the players were responsible, they all did good and bad things, rudolph great year, was too impatient, olson slowed samuels and jenkins down defensively but has to shoot more, drummond just thinks about scoring, several ill advised possessions, etherly and walker too many easy shots missed,and how about passing the ball out to hall cormier or olson when they are wide open, brooks can't catch, it was fun, keep the coach

WOFM 
Freshman

03-08-11 09:39 AM - Post#99430    

• baltimore baller Said:
We came within 3 down the stretch, but on-the-court player decisions put a halt to a possible comeback.

Player decisions?? Wasn't that when JP decided to get his momentum killer technical?

I might be off on the timing, but I know it killed one of our few runs in the second half.

WOFM 
Freshman

03-08-11 09:48 AM - Post#99434    
    In response to wespearl

All players will make mistakes and/or have bad games, but when you see trends develop and sustain themselves over 7 years, it’s time to look at the coach.

If this were JP’s second or third year, I could look at all the positives mentioned and be willing to say, you know what, St Peter’s just brought their A game this weekend and they were gonna win no matter what, and I could walk away more content about the future.

But I don’t like what I see from JP in-game and the resulting consistent inconsistency. I also have concerns off the court with how he seems to treat his players, but have to admit that’s just a gut feel cause no way for those of us outside the program to truly know what goes on behind closed doors, or how the kids collectively feel about him. But just too many mysterious benchings for me.

I do share the concerns about the new AD and whether or not his background is ideal for being the right guy to bring in a better coach. BTW, Dino is happy working for ESPN, no way he’d consider coming back to Evergreen.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-08-11 11:21 AM - Post#99454    
    In response to greyhound

• greyhound Said:
Let's take it easy on our fellow alums. Michael Tuck and Shane James are probably the two best recruits Hicks had...and they're above all else, they are both great kids.

I was praising Tuck. He was the glue that kept those teams together during the two Gerald Brown seasons.

Shane James was also a tremendous asset to the early Patsos era teams.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Hot Seat Part 3: Should he stay or should he go now?
03-08-11 11:34 AM - Post#99459    

• baltimore baller Said:
Please....I was at the St. Peter's-Loyola game. St. peter's played terrific ball. We couldn't score to save our lives. No coach can play the game for his team. We came within 3 down the stretch, but on-the-court player decisions put a halt to a possible comeback.

St. Peter's dominated against Iona in the final, which is no great surprise to anyone in Webster Arena on Saturday night. Had you seen the quarterfinals on Saturday night, you would easily have grasped that the four St. Peter's seniors on the floor made them the obvious bet for champs.

That said, had we beat them on Saturday, I think we would have competed and probably beaten Iona in the Championship game.

Onwards and Upwards.

St Peter's did not play terrific ball vs Loyola. They played really good defense and we made no strategic changes to try and counter what they were throwing at us. They were almost as much a disaster on offense as we were.

I'm sorry, but to say you walked out of that arena thinking St Peter's were the clear favorite to win the MAAC on Saturday is borderline delusional.

I really wish the friends and family of JP would offer a little more insight on why Patsos is such a great coach beyond blaming everyone else but Jimmy for the program's lack of success.

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
03-08-11 12:19 PM - Post#99473    
    In response to jdp 94

some other great Scott Hicks recruits:

Charlie Bell
Josko
Sean Corrigan
Jim Chivers
Linton Hinds

too bad a rock could've coached those teams better

Page 1 of 4 1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.204 seconds.   Total Queries: 19   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:21 AM