Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 2 of 4 <1234
Username Post: Hot Seat Part 3: Should he stay or should he go now?        (Topic#11715)
phillyhound 
Junior

Reg: 11-30-06
03-08-11 01:03 PM - Post#99480    
    In response to baltimore baller

• baltimore baller Said:
Please....I was at the St. Peter's-Loyola game. St. peter's played terrific ball. We couldn't score to save our lives. No coach can play the game for his team. We came within 3 down the stretch, but on-the-court player decisions put a halt to a possible comeback.

St. Peter's dominated against Iona in the final, which is no great surprise to anyone in Webster Arena on Saturday night. Had you seen the quarterfinals on Saturday night, you would easily have grasped that the four St. Peter's seniors on the floor made them the obvious bet for champs.

That said, had we beat them on Saturday, I think we would have competed and probably beaten Iona in the Championship game.

Onwards and Upwards.

Beaten Iona? Are you out of your mind, Patsos can't even beat Manhattan in the MAAC tourney? And Manhattan is at least cutting ties with their coach.

MacDog 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-21-06
03-08-11 05:18 PM - Post#99539    
    In response to phillyhound

Was John Reimold a Hicks or Gaudio recruit?

baltimore baller 
Freshman

Reg: 12-24-10
03-08-11 06:15 PM - Post#99549    

You folks are way too negative. The only team to beat us twice this season is Rider. We split or swept all other teams. And, if you were at the game you would know that Jimmy's technical was completely unwarranted. He did nothing more than complain about a call. No swearing, no jumping up and down, no leaving the coaching box. He was actually quite calm throughout the entire game.

We lost momentum because Rudolph took an ill-advised 3-pointer, which he was cautioned not to do all season long. He is a senior, so I won't blame him for the impulse, but it was not his shot to take.

We lost to the eventual tourney champs, who had 5 seniors in the starting lineup. Period. Let's all chill out and see how things shape up next season when we have nearly all of our own players returning.

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
03-08-11 06:43 PM - Post#99553    
    In response to baltimore baller

• baltimore baller Said:
when we have nearly all of our own players returning.

Let's hope so, but I'm always gonna wonder who the next guy to quietly "leave the team" is gonna be....maybe Brooks, maybe Cormier??

And remember, even those of us with less confidence in JP still care enough about this team and this program to be out on this board, and we all want them to succeed, even if we might disagree on the best path to take to get there.

wespearl 
Freshman

Reg: 01-10-11
03-08-11 09:17 PM - Post#99625    
    In response to WOFM

brooks can't play does not matter

phillyhound 
Junior

Hot Seat Part 3: Should he stay or should he go now?
03-08-11 09:48 PM - Post#99653    
    In response to MacDog

• MacDog Said:
Was John Reimold a Hicks or Gaudio recruit?

Reimold was a Gaudio recruit, but was at Loyola for Hick's first year. I believe Hicks wouldn't let him out of his LOI and convinced him to come. Transferred to Bowling Green and had a decent career, but looked like he could be a star his freshman year.

Edited by phillyhound on 03-08-11 09:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bigb 
Freshman

Reg: 01-30-07
03-09-11 11:04 PM - Post#99985    
    In response to jdubs

I've been there for 60% of the home games Loyola has played during the Patsos era. I have seen very little improvement in his coaching capability during that tenure. He still substitutes like he's ADHD-you make a wrong move and next whistle you are out. He has no feel for the flow of the game. His teams never come out ready to play. Rarely does he make an in-game adjustment. His offense is terrible, and players do not improve year to year. Finally, he doesn't bring the students in. Is that his fault? Maybe not, but part of that is the mediocre teams he trots out there. He does recruit pretty well as his teams rarely are overmatched talent wise, at least in the league.

Bottom line, he's taken the team from terrible to average; but I've been to maybe 3 or 5 games out of 50 that I've walked away saying "Jimmy coached well tonight." If you talk to the boosters, he's already gone.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
03-10-11 08:16 AM - Post#100000    
    In response to bigb

Its clear that you either like Jimmy or you absolutely hate him and want him gone. As far as boosters saying hes gone. First, I am not sure of his contract but I doubt we have the type of donors that are willing to lay down cash to buy out the remaining years. Secondly, if he is in fact gone they need to make the move now rather than wait until May or June so the process can begin.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

wespearl 
Freshman

03-10-11 09:30 AM - Post#100006    
    In response to bigb

he is staying, no way they will eat two years, he calmed down this year, made good decisions like exiting JB, team was inexperienced on a whole , forcing it in tournament, Rudolph had a good year but took bad shots against st peters and didn't let the game come to him, you have a booster on this board who doesn't know so i wonder who your inside booster sources are

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
03-10-11 10:14 AM - Post#100010    
    In response to bigb

Agree with everything bigb says about JP, but if he indeed has two years left then I agree with wespearl, he's not going anywhere unless he initiates it. No way Loyola can afford even a minimal buyout.

I don’t know about being “calmed down” but I do agree we have a nucleus of good young talent, enough to compete for a MAAC title next year. At the very least, if we’re sitting here a year from now hoping to back into a 5 or 6 seed, I think even his supporters would then start to see the light…

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
03-10-11 12:00 PM - Post#100027    
    In response to loco09

• loco09 Said:
Its clear that you either like Jimmy or you absolutely hate him and want him gone.

I very much like Jimmy and will be forever thankful to him from raising the program from the dead. He was the guy to get the program from point A to point B.

He just not the guy to get us to the next level. Seven years has proven as much.

greyhound 
Freshman

Reg: 11-23-09
Hot Seat Part 3: Should he stay or should he go now?
03-10-11 03:11 PM - Post#100080    
    In response to jdp 94

I have a few friends that are boosters at Loyola and few that are boosters at Maryland. Both groups of boosters know each other and keep in contact quite frequently. I have heard from both groups of boosters what bigb stated early regarding Patsos' tenure.

Not even making it to the MAAC championship game is unacceptable over a 7 year period. Back in 2007-2008, when they were almost a lock to win the league, they blew a 17 point lead to Sienna in the semis...that's the closest the team has gotten.

I just feel that as a Jesuit school located in a talent filled, basketball loving city, Loyola is a sleeping giant. I really think it's possible that if Loyola was to get a young and hungry coach in here, not just using Loyola as a stepping stone, with an even-keeled demeanor and the ability to recruit locally....the sky would be the limit for the program.

It would take time but there's no reason Loyola can't compete with other Jesuit universities like St. Joe's, Creighton, etc. And eventually competing with Xavier, Marquette, and possibly even Georgetown.

Edited by greyhound on 03-10-11 03:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-10-11 05:36 PM - Post#100129    
    In response to greyhound

Like I said if these boosters are correct and Jimmy's days are numbered they need to make the move so the search can start as early as the final four. I'm not sure of many candidates out there i dont know if we would go with a hot assistant or with a has been head coach. Of course there is always the high school coaches as well from the Bmore area.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-10-11 11:08 PM - Post#100165    
    In response to loco09

Some posters on the Fairfield board really want Patsos gone. Im not sure why a Fairfield fan would be concerned if Jimmy stays or goes.

wespearl 
Freshman

03-11-11 08:00 AM - Post#100189    
    In response to loco09

loco09, you are as locked into the program as anyone, you are very involved you think you would know, he isn't going anywhere

phillyhound 
Junior

03-11-11 08:06 AM - Post#100191    
    In response to wespearl

As soon as another major D1 school on the east coast has an assistant job available, Patsos will probably leave on his own anyways.

bigb 
Freshman

Reg: 01-30-07
03-11-11 10:53 AM - Post#100209    

He may possibly take another job as an assistant, but I do not see him taking a substantial cut in pay to do so. He also returns a solid core of talent. He has calmed down at least with his sideline antics. I would argue though that his substitution pattern is the same from day 1 of his tenure to today.

I'm not sure of his contract, what options Loyola has to buy him out; but I know that he's on very thin ice. I personally think Loyola would do better severing ties especially if they can upgrade. I am not sure he would have interest, but Loyola should consider making a strong run at Pete Gillen. There are ties to the school, its a small jesuit school in a mid size city (see Xavier), and word is that he's interested in getting back into coaching. Not sure Loyola is high profile enough, but it would be a major coup if Loyola could land a guy like him.

greyhound 
Freshman

Reg: 11-23-09
03-11-11 06:14 PM - Post#100271    
    In response to bigb

Pete Gillen? Are you kidding me? That guy, and his toupee, sucked at UVA. He's also old as $h!t. Why would you bring a coach back to the sidelines after a 6 year departure? Honestly, Pete Gillen is the worst suggestion you could possibly give for a replacement to Patsos.

If Patsos does go, we don't necessarily need someone from another Jesuit or Catholic University...just somebody on the younger side that wants to put in the 70-90 hours per week to turn Loyola around.

wespearl 
Freshman

03-11-11 07:41 PM - Post#100275    
    In response to greyhound

stay the course

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
03-11-11 10:13 PM - Post#100293    
    In response to wespearl

• wespearl Said:
stay the course

...thousand points of light...

Page 2 of 4 <1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.246 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:58 AM