Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: Harvard vs. Princeton: The Final Showdown (for real this time!)        (Topic#11745)
gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Harvard vs. Princeton: The Final Showdown (for real this time!)
03-12-11 07:19 PM - Post#100447    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
No. you are not garbage --- Chip is!

Well, to be fair to myself, one could say that if Davis hadn't struggled so mightily before (including the Brown loss or the last Harvard game), we wouldn't have needed his buzzer-beating heroics...

Okay, now I'm acting like garbage. He showed incredible guts to hit that shot and not get down on himself after a rough start today. Nothing can ruin this moment for the guys or for us!

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
Re: Harvard vs. Princeton: The Final Showdown (for real this time!)
03-12-11 07:23 PM - Post#100450    
    In response to gokinsmen

I don't think anyone ever criticized Joe Scott for his recruiting abilities. Lincoln Gunn and Marcus Schroeder were great catches as well.

Scott's issue was the offensive strategy and in-game situational coaching.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-12-11 07:28 PM - Post#100452    
    In response to puband09

Scott's not over the hump at Denver, but he has a promising young team.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

03-12-11 07:29 PM - Post#100453    
    In response to SRP

Let's not spoil this moment with talk of Joe &@#$-ing Scott.

I can't wait to watch the replay of this game tomorrow...another advantage of ESPN3.

besnoah 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-14-05
03-12-11 07:30 PM - Post#100454    
    In response to gokinsmen

Watch for the section when they're talking about Princeton's Ivy playoff in 1996.

There is a great shot of Princeton Assistant Joe Scott celebrating.

puband09 
Masters Student

03-12-11 07:33 PM - Post#100456    
    In response to puband09

Johnson mentioned how the team really didn't play that great today, and I agree. They played just barely good enough (barely, as in .3 seconds).

My concern is the offense in these Harvard games has relied entirely on Maddox and Hummer driving to the net. When given the opportunity, Davis, Mavraides, Saunders, and even Bray and Darrow, can produce from outside and from 3, but none of Princeton's plays are set up to create those opportunities.

I feel like they will get CRUSHED next week with this 1-dimensional offense, but they could really flummox a 'major' team with some more variety.

puband09 
Masters Student

03-12-11 07:35 PM - Post#100460    
    In response to puband09

Also, Davis' jumper was great recent-Princeton-athletic -history karmic retribution for this little .8-second debacle 2 years ago:

Most of you probably haven't seen this, so I highly recommend a viewing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgveHcea0kc#t =3m3s

SRP 
Postdoc

03-12-11 07:37 PM - Post#100461    
    In response to puband09

puband09:

I agree. I'd like to see more spacing and more off the ball movement. On the other hand, I think they are learning to adapt to the match ups available, so we may see more spacing against bigger, stronger, better-jumping teams.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

03-12-11 07:39 PM - Post#100462    
    In response to puband09

Yes, there wasn't a lot of movement on offense (the ESPN commentators mentioned this as well). I think our snipers are a little gun shy from deep and it's easy to over-rely on Maddox and Hummer since the former can make highlight-reel bank-shots and the latter is sinking his FTs of late.

Also, I think our guards are gun-shy/cold from deep because they're getting winded by bigger, more athletic guards. The rapid development of Bray, Hazel, Clement, Wilson, etc. will be priority #1 in the coming years, IMO.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-12-11 07:42 PM - Post#100465    
    In response to gokinsmen

It would be very nice to see Harvard get in. After Cornell lat year, it would continue to make a statement about Ivy play - assuming neither they nor PU get completely rolled by whatever unjustifiable seed the NCAA assigns in its never-ending effort to protect BCS schools hegemony.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
03-12-11 07:54 PM - Post#100471    
    In response to sparman

Thought Davis had killed them again when he made the ill-advised one-on-two drive at Wright and Casey on the next to last possession. Sure redeemed himself in the end, though!

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

03-12-11 07:59 PM - Post#100472    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I'm watching that last shot again on the ESPN highlight clip...oh man. That last shot was really a total prayer. A Doug Flutie Hail Mary. And Davis swished it anyway. Redemption, indeed!

The highlight also shows SJ putting his head down to hug Brian Earl, and when he comes back up, there's tears flooding his eyes...it's as emotional as sports can be.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

03-12-11 08:14 PM - Post#100476    
    In response to gokinsmen

How about another round of applause for Brendan Connolly? He sees his role reduced over the Ivy season, didn't even see action against Penn, and he comes up with a perfect shooting day (3-3 FG, 3-3 FT) in the most tense of situations, while playing solid D inside.

SRP 
Postdoc

03-12-11 08:33 PM - Post#100485    
    In response to gokinsmen

I'm a big Connolly fan. Gutsy performance tonight, and I thought he did an excel,net job noshing up Mangano in New Haven...hmmm, maybe we should try to get a tourney game at Yale.

SRP 
Postdoc

03-12-11 08:34 PM - Post#100486    
    In response to SRP

Bodying up, not noshing up. Blasted auto-correct.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
03-12-11 08:56 PM - Post#100494    
    In response to Stuart Suss

If you want to bring up Joe Scott, then it's in the context of the quick turnaround that Sydney Johnson accomplished, from the depths of a 2-12 season.

It's worth noting what Johnson did differently. With regards to Maddox, Johnson should credit for Maddox's development as a player - but more importantly, that Johnson adjusted the offense and defense to take advantage of his skills.
I'm not sure Maddox would have been near the same player in the traditional Princeton offense and matchup zone that Scott employed. Some of the key fouls today on Casey and Wright, were in transition or semi-transition, where Harvard couldn't get their defense set up.

The other thing that Johnson does that really helped him today was opening up the rotation. Carril and all of his successors seemed to stick with short rotation of 7 or 8 guys. Joe Scott would start someone every game, then the player would disappear from the rotation. Johnson got meaningful minutes from Barrett, Connolly, Darrow, Bray and Hazel, and some of those guys were key to the last two winds.

So I am not here to bury Coach Scott - he's landed on his feet with decent job and he's part of the Princeton family. He's part of an amazing tableau which I hope the Tournament coverage will highlight. In Carril's final year, in that win over UCLA, all three of his assistants are Division I head coaches, Carmody, Scott, and Thompson. More remarkably, the starting backcourt of Johnson, Earl and Henderson are also Division I coaches, Earl and Henderson being assistants.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

03-12-11 09:28 PM - Post#100498    
    In response to umbrellaman

I still can't believe what I just saw. A honest-to-god buzzer beater to punch our Dance card.

What an amazing way to cap a program comeback.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-13-11 01:12 AM - Post#100535    
    In response to gokinsmen

Keep seeing the replay on ESPN. It was McNally who let Davis get the wide open look at the basket there, which I found amusing because he was doing the Duke floor slap on defense in the final minutes, and berating his teammates in the huddles at every timeout. Then after doing all that, he gets undressed on a simple fake, and ends up trying the failed desperation fly-by to distract the shooter, because he didn't play sound fundamental D on the play.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-09-09
03-13-11 01:34 AM - Post#100536    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Mcnally said afterward "I was undisciplined. I jumped when I shouldn't have." That what he gets for doing the Puke floor slap, I took a double take when he did that, who does that?

puband09 
Masters Student

03-13-11 04:02 AM - Post#100543    
    In response to cornellfan4

I was out at a club in West L.A. tonight wearing my orange Princeton lacrosse jersey, and this random guy was like "Dude, awesome win today. F*** Harvard."

I shook his hand.

Anecdotal awesomeness aside, it does speak volumes about how far we've come when people all the way over here are reasonably excited about the win. It helps when the club has ESPNews on, which is playing "The Shot" on repeat.

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.274 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:36 AM