Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 12 « First<5678>» Last
Username Post: Coach Sydney Johnson        (Topic#11781)
Kit 
Senior

Loc: Central Massachusetts
Reg: 11-29-04
Coach Sydney Johnson
03-21-11 03:53 PM - Post#102130    
    In response to Silver Maple

BTW, when was the last time another program poached our coach?

Edited by Kit on 03-21-11 03:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
Coach Sydney Johnson
03-21-11 04:05 PM - Post#102132    
    In response to Kit

Andy Katz talks about it:

"Princeton has received inquiries if it would allow Sydney Johnson to talk to Bradley and Towson. Huh? ... Bradley and Towson? Sure, there are connections with Bradley's AD Mike Cross, who was at Princeton, and Johnson has Maryland ties in the Towson-area. But leaving his alma mater, Princeton, a place where he has great emotional investment, for these two schools would only be a money grab.

"Meanwhile, Princeton has to do more to step up and keep Johnson. .... Johnson is a better fit where he is now and will likely see that to be the case, if he hasn't already, unless he gets an offer from an ACC school."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba ll/blog/_/...

In fairness, I don't know how he can compare Towson and Bradley, though. The Colonial League had 3 teams make the Big Dance, with one going to the Sweet 16 and looking really good. Just about says it all.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Coach Sydney Johnson
03-21-11 04:52 PM - Post#102137    
    In response to Kit

• Kit Said:
BTW, when was the last time another program poached our coach?

Is that a serious question?

Tiger86 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-10-11
Re: Coach Sydney Johnson
03-21-11 05:50 PM - Post#102143    

Kit, just the last two that didn't leave with their tail between their legs!

Tiger69 
Postdoc

03-21-11 07:08 PM - Post#102153    

"It's just that the Princeton fans are still somewhat shell-shocked by what happened the last time another program poached their head coach. Total catastrophe. So they're still kind of touchy."

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly wasn't "shell-shocked when either Carmody or JT III left. In Carmody's case, he had been with Princeton for many years as both an assistant and head coach (a lot longer than Fran Dunphy) and left for a higher paying post with a compatible program. In the latter case, JT III practically was weaned on Georgetown B-ball, but still supports Princeton. Sad to see them go -- of course. But shell-shocked or angry? No way.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

03-21-11 07:26 PM - Post#102154    
    In response to Tiger69

Not shell-shocked by JT III's departure per se, but by what transpired afterward.

Kit 
Senior

Loc: Central Massachusetts
Reg: 11-29-04
03-21-11 07:32 PM - Post#102156    

I grok that.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

03-21-11 07:47 PM - Post#102158    
    In response to Kit

Live long and prosper.

Dial Lodge 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-08-07
03-21-11 09:13 PM - Post#102171    

Here's the full second paragraph from Katz's blog:

"Meanwhile, Princeton has to do more to step up and keep Johnson. These are no longer the days of Pete Carril, when a coach was just happy to be there. It's a competitive marketplace, and even if Georgia Tech or NC State were to call -- which are much more palatable jobs -- the Tigers, led by AD Gary Walters, must make the Princeton job work within the marketplace. There is money within the alumni base who love seeing their school in the NCAA tournament -- go get it. Princeton is an Ivy League power. Harvard has raised the recruiting ante in the Ivy, and now there is going to be serious competition for the top spot and a bid. So the competition to keep coaches has increased. Johnson is a better fit where he is now and will likely see that to be the case, if he hasn't already, unless he gets an offer from an ACC school."

Katz has brought up a question that I've always wondered about. How much does Princeton pay its basketball coach, and how does that compare to what is paid at mid-major and major schools? I've never seen any public listing of compensation for any Ivy coaches.

The Friends, if pressed, could raise the money to pay him a salary that would be significantly higher, but how would that fly if it was higher than that of key administrators or star faculty like Alan Blinder (and many other stars on the faculty that i'm too lazy to list)?

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
03-21-11 09:20 PM - Post#102174    
    In response to Dial Lodge

I bet Cornel West gets paid an a$$-load. I think I read somewhere that he's the highest paid professor at Princeton, maybe even higher paid than Shirley "The Tildge" Tilghman.

I'm sure he'll get some kind of raise after this year. The real question is how much and on what terms. Gradual increase every year for 5 years? Bonus money for each future Ivy championship?

There's also the looming concern of Gary Walters retiring. In a video on GoPrincetonTigers.tv he is giving a speech to the staff and Friends in Tampa and refers to the Kentucky game as one of "two bookends" to his career as A.D., and goes on to discuss the UCLA upset and coach search which took place during his first year. He never referred to the other bookend again, but it only added to my concerns that he may be leaving soon.

Someone else with the industry experience and deep understanding of what it means to play sports (specifically basketball) at Princeton will be hard to find.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
03-21-11 11:14 PM - Post#102193    
    In response to puband09

• puband09 Said:

There's also the looming concern of Gary Walters retiring. In a video on GoPrincetonTigers.tv he is giving a speech to the staff and Friends in Tampa and refers to the Kentucky game as one of "two bookends" to his career as A.D., and goes on to discuss the UCLA upset and coach search which took place during his first year. He never referred to the other bookend again, but it only added to my concerns that he may be leaving soon.

Someone else with the industry experience and deep understanding of what it means to play sports (specifically basketball) at Princeton will be hard to find.

How about Mike Cross from Bradley?

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
03-21-11 11:31 PM - Post#102196    
    In response to umbrellaman

Unfortunately he's already got America's dream job in Peoria.

BradleyBrave 
Freshman

Reg: 03-18-11
03-22-11 06:23 AM - Post#102202    
    In response to puband09

• puband09 Said:
Unfortunately he's already got America's dream job in Peoria.

That was a good one, dude, I gotta admit. Honestly, outside of the BU basketball job and a very good men's soccer program, I don't see why anyone would want the BU AD job. I think the Princeton AD job, overall, is much more attractive.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
04-04-11 05:34 PM - Post#103118    
    In response to sparman

We were both wrong (cus I said he would turn down these types of midlevel jobs), but I have to say, sparman, you were more wrong. because I'm juvenile like that.

Very disappointing for the league.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
04-04-11 05:55 PM - Post#103131    
    In response to Jeff2sf

This whole thing is very odd and frankly disturbing even as a Penn fan. I get that it's more money, but couldn't Princeton counter with something competitive enough to keep their homegrown hero? Or do they feel that there are enough Princeton guys in the coaching pipeline that they didn't need to break the bank? If so I think that is extremely short-sighted.

I get Johnson going somewhere else to build his career, but freakin Fairfield in the MAAC? I'm a Penn fan, but that just doesn't make sense to me. BRF has been saying that Johnson's restrictions in aid & admissions were much more difficult at Princeton as compared to Harvard's. When a move like this happens it makes me wonder if he is right...

Johnson's recruiting classes have been pretty good, but outside Hummer & Barrett (recruited 2 years ago), the guys have been a step below Harvard's. This year after a great 2nd place finish, the Princeton class for 2011 seems a little disappointing considering the improvement.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Coach Sydney Johnson
04-04-11 06:24 PM - Post#103140    
    In response to Mike Porter

• Mike Porter Said:
...but couldn't Princeton counter with something competitive enough to keep their homegrown hero? Or do they feel that there are enough Princeton guys in the coaching pipeline that they didn't need to break the bank? If so I think that is extremely short-sighted.

You wonder if he was perhaps offended by that. "Well, Sydney, we have Brian and Mitch and Mike all willing to take this job at your current salary so..."

And from Princeton's p.o.v., if you've resigned yourself to the fact that all successful Tiger/Ivy coaches will ultimately leave you anyway, why offer a raise at all? Don't get me wrong -- I'd give SJ the cash in a heartbeat. But I can see why Princeton would do otherwise. They prefer young, hungry coaches looking to make a name for themselves...and you don't need to offer big money to get them.

Again, considering Princeton's deep pockets, it's stingy as heck. But from a cold, cruel business standpoint, I can understand that thought process.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
04-04-11 06:32 PM - Post#103143    
    In response to gokinsmen

Obviously, Princeton has the money. I just don't think it's realistic that Princeton, or any Ivy League school is going to be willing to match what a BCS or a committed mid-major is going to be willing to pay. The way the Ivy League looks at athletics is different. Princeton will always be Princeton regardless of what happens in basketball for 99.9% of the world. A school like Fairfield is going to get much more return on investment by spending on a coach and trying to make a name in basketball.
I'm not saying I like it, but if you root for Ivy League basketball, it's they way it is going to be.

Dial Lodge 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-08-07
Coach Sydney Johnson
04-04-11 06:33 PM - Post#103144    
    In response to gokinsmen

This is what hapens when a recession reduces the endowment down to a mere $14-billion. No money kicking around for non-essentials like coaches' salaries.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
04-04-11 06:35 PM - Post#103145    
    In response to Dial Lodge

I would love to be at Shirley's next alumni meet, greet, and solicitation.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
04-04-11 06:35 PM - Post#103146    
    In response to umbrellaman

• umbrellaman Said:
Obviously, Princeton has the money. I just don't think it's realistic that Princeton, or any Ivy League school is going to be willing to match what a BCS or a committed mid-major is going to be willing to pay. The way the Ivy League looks at athletics is different. Princeton will always be Princeton regardless of what happens in basketball for 99.9% of the world. A school like Fairfield is going to get much more return on investment by spending on a coach and trying to make a name in basketball.
I'm not saying I like it, but if you root for Ivy League basketball, it's they way it is going to be.

Agreed. Well put.

Page 5 of 12 « First<5678>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.106 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:52 AM