Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Hell freezes over at Dartmouth        (Topic#118)
picknroll 
Freshman

Reg: 11-21-04
12-02-04 08:56 PM - Post#518    

I see Dartmouth is going to allow an outside station -- that is, not the college-owned WDCR or WFRD -- to broadcast some hockey and hoop. This may represent a monumental change, since the college has steadfastly refused to allow any outsiders to carry the school's contests, despite numerous feelers over the years.
What up with that?
Rudy?

Cooper 
Sophomore

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Hell freezes over at Dartmouth
12-02-04 10:28 PM - Post#519    
    In response to picknroll

They are scooping up the leftovers when the student station can't/won't be there. It has happened, although rarely, in the past. Don't read too much into it. Sorry.

oldtimeRudyL 

12-03-04 12:56 PM - Post#520    
    In response to picknroll

pnr,

Saw the press release but don't know much else. Interesting that they went with a new station and not one of the established local AM stations that have had some interest in the past. could be the established stations have profitable program that they don't want to pre-empt, and tthis UVR station needs to fill some air time.

BigGreenjeans 
goober

12-03-04 10:55 PM - Post#521    
    In response to picknroll

Question: Why has Dartmouth resisted allowing area stations to broadcast games in the past? Are they adverse to making money for the athletic department? There's especially a need in winter, when mens/womens basketball and mens/womens hockey are going on. For example, no Dartmouth mens home hoops games are on the campus outlets in February due to scheduling conflicts. It would make sense to farm out the most commercially viable sports: football and mens hockey, and perhaps mens hoops. Another alternative: just broadcast some games with sutdent broadcasters on internet feeds only, if time isn't available over-the-air.

Anonymous 

12-05-04 01:38 PM - Post#522    
    In response to BigGreenjeans

1. There have been situations like this before, where a local station picks up a Dartmouth game during the break (910 AM The Score did last year's Dartmouth hockey games at the UVM tournament - although they did it with Dartmouth Broadcasting regular Keith Burdette and Dartmouth football announcer Wayne Young).

If you *did* want to read anything extra into it, though, you might point to last year's Colgate game, where the Dartmouth student announcers talked about what a disgrace Dartmouth's performance was. As I recall, that did not go over too well.

But I think it's just a matter of the students being off.

-The Ghost

picknroll 
Freshman

Reg: 11-21-04
12-06-04 01:42 AM - Post#523    
    In response to

Giving credit where it's due...I listened to some of the Q'piac game on the radio and the announcing team (I did not get their names) was far, far superior to the guys who worked the games last year. They were pretty smooth.

BigGreenjeans 
goober

12-06-04 04:41 PM - Post#524    
    In response to picknroll

I fully agree. You have to cut the announcers some slack -- they are students doing their best -- but a couple of last year's boradcasts were so bad it was painful. Had to even send a note to the DCR folks to gently complain. This year's been better. But there still should be a method to hear all the games of the major winter sports teams all the time, especially home games (with no travel costs to incur), on the net. Opening the required number of internet paths would hardly break the budget.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.307 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:46 AM