Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: Amaker to Miami?        (Topic#11939)
umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
04-10-11 09:50 PM - Post#103843    

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/09/2159182/um -c...

Names that have emerged are University of Alabama-Birmingham’s Mike Davis, Auburn’s Tony Barbee, Murray State’s Billy Kennedy, Harvard’s Tommy Amaker, Richmond’s Chris Mooney, and Jeff Capel and John Pelphrey, both of whom were recently fired, Capel by Oklahoma and Pelphrey by Arkansas.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-09-09
04-10-11 10:04 PM - Post#103847    
    In response to umbrellaman

This would probably be even more surprising than Johnson leaving, Amaker seems to really like Harvard, has a good shot to win the league next year, why go to Miami where you have little chance for success

Also didnt Mooney just sign a 10 year contract, that would be a big buyout

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
04-10-11 10:37 PM - Post#103848    
    In response to cornellfan4

The article did acknowledge the buyout problem with Mooney. Doesn't make sense for Amaker, because if next year goes the way everyone thinks it will, he probably can do better. But ACC money, Miami winters...maybe he takes his talents to South Beach?

pchrystie 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-14-06
04-11-11 06:48 AM - Post#103853    

• cornellfan2011 Said:
why go to Miami where you have little chance for success

Because it is ACC money and NO expectations. Unlike Seton Hall and Michigan, there are no memories of championships and Final Fours, no matter how distant. Michigan expected to win the Big Ten; Miami would cut down the nets if they finished fourth in the ACC. And given the recent mediocrity of the ACC, Amaker can probably recruit well enough to finish fourth or fifth.

As an added bonus, given Harvard's recent admissions "adjustments," he can continue to recruit the same players.

By the way, with the exception of Mooney and the Murray State guy, what a motley group of BCS failures.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

04-11-11 07:58 AM - Post#103855    
    In response to pchrystie

Yeah but why jump for the ACC money when you could get a better job in a few years if Harvard has all the success they are supposed to have especially when you have another good recruiting class coming in. Plus Amaker made the BCS money before unlike the other coaches who have left in the past few years

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Re: Amaker to Miami?
04-11-11 09:20 AM - Post#103859    
    In response to umbrellaman

• Quote:
Names that have emerged are University of Alabama-Birmingham’s Mike Davis, Auburn’s Tony Barbee, Murray State’s Billy Kennedy, Harvard’s Tommy Amaker, Richmond’s Chris Mooney, and Jeff Capel and John Pelphrey, both of whom were recently fired, Capel by Oklahoma and Pelphrey by Arkansas.

Keep in mind that this is Miami's wish list, not a list of candidates that they're actively interviewing. In other words, for some of the guys on this list, there's no reason to believe that the interest is mutual.

Southbridge Street 
Freshman

Reg: 03-18-11
04-11-11 10:43 AM - Post#103863    
    In response to mrjames

With Amaker, you also have to find a job for his wife, which Michigan did, and Harvard did as well (with a Harvard Medical School teaching hospital).

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
04-11-11 11:31 AM - Post#103868    
    In response to Southbridge Street

Boy-- I can really see this one both ways.

On one hand, Amaker almost certainly has not accomplished everything he can in Cambridge, and could potentially make himself much more attractive over the next couple of years. He is also, by all accounts, personally happy where he is, and the situation also seems to work very well for his wife.

OTOH, opportunities to jump from the Ivies directly to a big-time job are very difficult to come by, particularly for somewhat damaged goods like Amaker. And, as Paul has pointed out, the Miami job is a particularly appealing one in that it carries very low expectations and no institutional expectation for (and history of), success (much like Harvard and unlike Seton Hall and Michigan). Also, while it's likely that Amaker's stock could rise over the next couple of seasons, there's no guarantee, particularly after Penn unexpectedly beats Harvard for the title next year.

Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

04-11-11 11:40 AM - Post#103871    
    In response to Silver Maple

Yeah but even if Harvard doesnt meet expectations over the next few years Harvard still probably wont fire him, Miami even with no expectations would probably still get rid of him if he couldnt make NCAA tournaments

Old Bear 
Postdoc

04-11-11 01:50 PM - Post#103881    

Um, let's see.... 5 years at Harvard at $?.00 per year, or 5 years at Miami at $1,000,000 + per year? U. of Miami has a very good Med-School/Hospital.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
04-11-11 01:57 PM - Post#103882    

• cornellfan2011 Said:
Yeah but even if Harvard doesnt meet expectations over the next few years Harvard still probably wont fire him, Miami even with no expectations would probably still get rid of him if he couldnt make NCAA tournaments

Get rid of him when? Haith was there for 7 years with 1 NCAA appearance, 4 NITs, and a .384 record in the ACC. In seven seasons his best ACC record was 8-8 (only once!). Despite that, he still wasn't going to get fired. He proactively chose to leave for another job.

Amaker seems like a real longshot because he has a loaded team, seems to be happy, etc. but I understand why Miami would want to speak with him. If they could actually land a quality recruiter, they have a lot to sell. 5-6 years ago they built a nice on campus stadium, the campus in general is nice, and oh yeah, it's in Miami. Florida has a ton of basketball talent and Miami is a much better place to be than Gainesville or Tallahassee.

besnoah 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-14-05
04-11-11 02:05 PM - Post#103883    
    In response to Mike Porter

If he didn't mind annoying other Dukies by joining the ACC, I could see him taking this job.

As others have pointed out, it's a major conference job with next to no expectations, an excellent recruiting climate and a likely pay boost.

On the other hand, Frank Martin has now taken to openly begging for the job and if he wants it that badly, I can't imagine Miami not giving it to him, unless they really don't want to pay.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
04-11-11 02:06 PM - Post#103884    
    In response to Old Bear

Just FYI, she doesn't need to be affiliated with a medical school. At Michigan, according to her bio, she was "Associate Dean of Students" and was responsible for "campus wide counseling, psychiatric services, and incident management". At Harvard, she found a position at a psychiatic hospital as director of the College Mental Health Program. So she has skills that could be used at any major college (even Princeton )

Red Blue Crew 
Freshman

Reg: 03-22-09
04-11-11 03:39 PM - Post#103891    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Amaker's officially interviewing with Miami

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=633 0878

Buckeye Quake 
PhD Student

04-11-11 03:45 PM - Post#103892    
    In response to besnoah

Or if Martin's act isn't what they're looking for. That psycho coach stuff doesn't play everywhere. It tends to get old real quick when you're not winning. Even if he is a hometown boy

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

04-11-11 03:54 PM - Post#103896    
    In response to Buckeye Quake

"Everyone's reporting that my salary is $1.55 million [annually]. Actually, my salary is $1.1 million," he said. "Now, I'm an old high school teacher who was making 32 grand when I moved to Boston, and I'm extremely grateful and thankful for the salary I make right now.

"If I stayed the length of the [five-year] contract and I collect every bonus on the contract, it will average out to $1.55. And you know what? There is a chance that the University of Miami never called because they think I make $1.5," he said. "There's a chance just because it was released at $1.55 the University of Miami said, 'We can't call him. Why waste our time? We can't pay him.' "

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=632 988...

Thats funny, has to make K St feel a bit awkward

Old Bear 
Postdoc

04-11-11 03:54 PM - Post#103897    

I'm sure Penn and Yale fans are pleased to learn that Princeton is Harvard's main rival.

besnoah 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-14-05
04-11-11 03:56 PM - Post#103898    

Yeah, after I posted that caveat occurred to me.

KState did see two players quit this year.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

04-11-11 04:00 PM - Post#103899    

• Penn pal Said:

Or if Martin's act isn't what they're looking for. That psycho coach stuff doesn't play everywhere. It tends to get old real quick when you're not winning. Even if he is a hometown boy

Yeah but as was said before Miami doesnt care about basketball so with Martin at least they would probably be winning or if they arent they can just pretend there is no basketball team like they do now

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
04-11-11 04:09 PM - Post#103900    

That's a valid point. Joe Scott was probably able to get away with his lunatic act at Air Force in part because nobody cared about that team either (also, it's Air Force-- abuse is part of the culture).

This all brings up an interesting question. I suspect that most believe that Princeton's long-term prospects for continued basketball success can survive the loss of a coach. Can the same be said for Harvard? Amaker is nurturing a new-born child up there. His departure could be very damaging.

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.106 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:41 AM