Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Poor Jimmy        (Topic#12000)
Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
05-05-11 04:53 PM - Post#105030    

Today, for what some would say is the first time ever, he is as disappointed as the fans are at his lack of progress and NCAA tournament appearances while at Loyola.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=648 729...
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
05-05-11 06:16 PM - Post#105036    
    In response to Lou

Make whatever jokes you want but Gary and Jimmy had some great teams together at UMD. Congrats to Gary on a great career. Jimmy to Maryland? jk
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
05-05-11 07:41 PM - Post#105039    
    In response to loco09

Jimmy released an official statement on Gary's retirement.

www.loyolagreyhounds.com

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
05-05-11 10:18 PM - Post#105040    
    In response to loco09

• loco09 Said:
Make whatever jokes you want but Gary and Jimmy had some great teams together at UMD. Congrats to Gary on a great career. Jimmy to Maryland? jk

No arguments from me.
MD should call Mike Brey. He wouldn't say no.
Jesus loves me.

Brian 
Senior

Reg: 07-24-06
05-06-11 08:27 AM - Post#105045    
    In response to Lou

Jay Wright is the other name getting a lot of mention. Some talk about Sean Miller.

Brian 
Senior

Reg: 07-24-06
05-06-11 11:59 AM - Post#105052    
    In response to Brian

Also Mike Brey is apparently negotiating an extension at ND. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be interested in MD though. Of course, he could play both against each other for more $$$$$.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
05-06-11 01:08 PM - Post#105060    
    In response to Brian

Brey loves ND, but if Maryland went at him hard they could get him. Appears they are looking elsewhere, though.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
05-07-11 09:49 PM - Post#105086    
    In response to loco09

• loco09 Said:
Make whatever jokes you want

It's almost summer. The only jokes worth making are about all those ncaa tournament men's lacrosse games being hosted at Ridley Field.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
05-07-11 10:39 PM - Post#105088    
    In response to jdp 94

If youre lucky youll be able to catch a womens playoff lax game at Ridley. Big East champs

Scott 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-25-06
05-08-11 11:23 PM - Post#105100    
    In response to loco09

Love this: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusriv a...

I guess the MD head coaching job isn't quite the draw that those arrogant Terp fans think it is!

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
05-09-11 07:19 AM - Post#105102    
    In response to Scott

it a great job, timing is bad May?

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
05-09-11 09:19 AM - Post#105107    
    In response to maacballer

It is a very good job, not a great job.

The AD is screwing it up, too. Not willing to pay the buyout at Ariz or ND, and isn't offering enough years.

No matter, though, as of this weekend GW is now the best program in DC.
Jesus loves me.

Hounds 05 
Freshman

Reg: 01-03-07
05-09-11 11:12 AM - Post#105111    
    In response to Lou

Insight to the Miller/MD saga through a informed MD graduate:

Background

Let me begin by saying this. I don't fully grasp the difference between Nike and Nike Elite beyond this: Prestige. To be "Elite" in college basketball, you have to have won a title. Pretty cut and dry. What does this mean in terms of perks? It gives you dibs on the newest product. You get priority for the newest lines demo'd, like the fat brax jerseys (or just check out your favorite football teams rocking gear in the early 11' college football season), as well as recruiting favors if you make the call.

Here's what I do know. Nobody turns down Nike Elite, nobody. Maryland did. In September 2008, Maryland signed a 5 year-$17.5 million deal to become the exclusive outfitter of U of M athletics, effective January 1, 2009. Nike Ellite is no joke. It took Maryland a long time to breakthrough and generally once you do, you do so having had one arm tied behind your back. You don't get recruits 'filtered' to you the way the powers do and you're not nearly as priivy to a world of favors and favors owed. Look no further than Maryland's 2002 group become the first to win a nat'l title without a McDonald's All-American on its roster.

Why did we make the switch? For starters, Kevin Plank is a Maryland alum and his football gear is legitimately state of the art. Fridge and the administration had wanted the move for an official outfitter for about 18 months before the official transition. It made perfect sense for football and Gary went along in large part because he and and Plank were friends and blinding loyalty prevailed.

Reality Check

Nike is everywhere. And UA was in over its head. You can't just make a shoe and push it off shelves. You need marketing and breakthrough into the grassroots of the game. The grassroots entails diving into the h.s. scene and the slime of AAU. It took UA a while to get its sea legs so to speak. They've broken through faster than anyone ever dreamed, but they still did it at Maryland basketball's expense.

Under Armour's best move to date has been the hiring of Kris Stone as its director of basketball operations. He's a hustler with connections, a vision, and knows what he's doing in the game. He's made in-roads for MD/UA by grabbing some of the top start-ups out there. "Start-ups" are basically the top national AAU teams that remain brand-unaffiliated. Their most notable move in hoops circles was nabbing up the Houston Defenders. The names you'll hear in a few years outta there are Shaquille Cleare and the Harrison Twins (Aaron & Andrew). The reason a UA breakthrough is so tempting for Maryland is that IF they breakthrough for good, the Terps lay claim as their flagship school. Think Oregon to Nike CEO and OU graduate Phil Knight. Except on fertile recruiting ground and a deeper basketball history.

But the problem is this. Even with marquee signings like Brandon Jennings, UA basketball shoes aren't flying off shelves. UA is doing so well with it's apparel here and abroad that they're just eating these losses like it's nothing, but it's a concern. For all it's scores, we're talking about a 1 billion $ company against a near 20 billion $ empire.

This isn't to say Maryland is right about a top 15 job. It is. Don't mistake not being a top 15 team of late with status, history, and resources of a program. But this only seems to do any good with the brand-name prerequisite.

Sean Miller

There's no hard evidence, there never will be, but it's been speculated that this marked the best of opportunities for Nike Elite to get its revenge once Maryland came calling. Quite frankly, it's naive to underestimate the role that corporate allegiance plays and it's not unheard of that Nike-bred coaches are scared to budge.

Who knows what form any possible influence may have come in? Maybe they offered him absurd dollar amounts that made it a no-brainer. Maybe they let it be known he'd never touch another Nike player ever again. I do know that he has an extremely strong relationship with Gary, called this his dream job less than a year ago, and has immediate family within 3 hours every which way of College Park. But you won't hear anything about Miller being Nike-strong armed. The people in the know, if such types exists beyond educated speculation, can't and won't say at thing. You can't just shoot your mouth off without absurd amounts of backing, because devoid of big-time credibility you just haven't got it. You'd be saying that Nike controls how many programs, at how many levels, and that they're doing it from the cozy perch of its corporate offices. This isn't a cave dweller. This is Capone. You haven't got it...

Email from a friend along these lines who's an AAU assistant up in NY:

The story we were played by Miller doesnt make sense. Miller started to play us two years ago in Xavier when he said UMD was his dream job?
All the "early" leaks were by Md sources.
No this is all about Nike vs UA. Nike played hardball and Miller had to save face and backtrack. Nike cannot allow Md to expode unto the the college BB scene and be the flagship for UA. Md will fair as well as UA does nothing less nothing more. This is a huge crap shoot. If UA can flex its muscles then we are set for life.(figuratively speaking).
It wont happen this cycle. We have to get lucky, finding an under the radar coach who Nike doesnt care about. Buy us time untill UA can compete in the trenches.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
05-09-11 01:25 PM - Post#105116    
    In response to Hounds 05

What did the President know and when did he know it?

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
05-09-11 02:54 PM - Post#105120    
    In response to jdp 94

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The whole bin Laden thing? An elaborate ruse by Nike to get Jack Bauer out of the country, allowing Nike to kidnap Miller's family and hold them until he took his name out of consideration.

Or, MD just didn't pay up and Miller's situation has changed now that he is at Arizona instead of Xavier. One or the other, though.
Jesus loves me.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
05-09-11 09:50 PM - Post#105129    
    In response to Lou

Mark Turgeon is the next MD coach. As far as I know Jimmy has no connections to him.

Scott 
Sophomore

05-10-11 12:11 PM - Post#105135    
    In response to Hounds 05

Hounds 05...interesting post. Thanks for the insight.

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
05-10-11 09:47 PM - Post#105149    
    In response to Lou

you dont know what you are talking about, Nike stopped miller and brey wasnt interested, it only took four days , how can u say AD was messing it up

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
05-16-11 04:56 PM - Post#105310    
    In response to maacballer

I will now argue Texas A&M got a better coach than Maryland did. But I am terribly biased... the new Aggie coach is a friend of a friend. Congrats Billy!
Jesus loves me.

Scott 
Sophomore

05-16-11 10:52 PM - Post#105315    
    In response to Lou

I remember you mentioning that guy years ago when he was at Centenary.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.369 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:42 PM