Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Mega- Conferences and the Impact on the Mid-Majors        (Topic#12247)
jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
09-19-11 03:22 PM - Post#108298    

With Syracuse and Pitt leaving the Big East, I was wondering if anyone had any insight or opinion one what kind of impact these moves will have on the mid-majors conferences.

Seemingly Syracuse and Pitt made a institutional decision to save their football futures. But the basketball impact will be profound. I think the Big East has to once and for all decide that it is a basketball-only conference now (to remain a major player on the national scene). I believe Connecticut will move quickly to pair up with another Big East football school (Rutgers or Louisville) and leave as well -- and when the dust settles, you will see the conference gutted.

That said, I think it will be a great opportunity for some mid-major basketball powers to step into that void. I think you will see a handful of A-10 schools enter the Big East conference as a result (Temple, St. Joe's types), maybe Hofstra.

Eventually this will trickle down to even the MAAC. I have to believe Siena and Niagara will have some opportunities to move on up.

Love to hear other thoughts on this topic.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
09-19-11 04:54 PM - Post#108315    
    In response to jdp 94

It wont impact the mid majors until the Big East finally does break up. I think the Big East basketball schools will wind up in a conference with maybe Xavier, Dayton, Temple, maybe Butler. Once those moves are made then the trickle down may get to the MAAC level to fill in the gaps. Honestly I would like to see Loyola move to a more geographically pleasing like the CAA or patriot but I doubt it will ever come to that.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

B More 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 09-20-11
09-20-11 08:32 AM - Post#108340    
    In response to loco09

These are football driven moves, and will have little to no impact on the mid-majors.

If anything happens within the MAAC it would be adding a LaSalle or Mt. Saint Mary's.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.216 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:56 PM