Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Hounds win exhibition vs Indiana(Pa)        (Topic#12402)
loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
11-03-11 10:08 PM - Post#110442    

Hounds led the whole way and won by like 15 points. They played well in spurts but there were some glaring issues that need addressed. They must rebound better they need to box out not just jump for the rebound. They also need to stay out of foul trouble. The defense forced 20 turnovers but let up too many open shots.

Some players that stood out:

Etherly, had 22 pts and picked up where he left off last season.

RJ Williams, small but quick, tons of energy especially on defense

Winbush, looked healthy hit some 3s and had a nice drive to the basket

Latham, not going to be a star right away but he had some solid post moves just needs to finish better
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
11-03-11 11:31 PM - Post#110444    
    In response to loco09

Nice to be back on here after a long off-season away.. first game I went to as an Alumni, different feeling...

Gotta disagree with the assessment a bit though 09...

83-71.. i think was the final, a team called IUP should not be held within 12 of a Division 1 school like Loyola.

Couple notes, Josh Wiegand actually transferred to IUP and I could argue was one of their better players on the night (Had no shot to actually contribute at Loyola so happy to see him getting minutes elsewhere, was always a nice guy)

Etherly was Etherly.. which is good to a point, but to another point, I didn't see a lot of improvement to his game, which is unfortunate, he actually seemed to have less energy on the floor than he did last year, but I'll chalk that up to it being an exhibition

RJ Williams, I absolutely love the energy and quickness that this guy brings. His speed is quite frankly absurd and we are such a better defensive team when he's on the court... the game was 26-22 at some point, RJ Williams entered the game and Loyola went on a 14-2 run or something like that, he creates turnovers and bad shots, really excited about him.

Winbush.. looked healthy but he just isn't the player he was during my freshman year.. and it's sad to see because he really had a bright future. He still will create defensive mismatches but not sure he'll ever be as dynamic as he used to be.

Latham, like what he brings to the table but wow does he need to learn how to finish... too many missed layups for my liking.. but a big that actually plays big unlike....

Shane Walker, god does he urinate me off, he plays such a soft, stupid hook shot, stupid 3 point game and it really is crazy that he has not learned to play big down low throughout his 2 or 3 years that he has been here. I've never seen a 6'10" guy play as small as he does and it really is just such a shame b/c if he learned how to play big, he would be a beast, especially in the MAAC

In the end, letting up 70+ points to D2 school (they might have been D3, I didn't check, my apologies) is just not good enough. Our team defense NEEDS to get better if we hope to finish anywhere near the top 3 in the MAAC this year.

Our flex/motion offense has seemed to get even less motion to it.. too many guys standing still on the offensive end, you just can't do that if we really want to run this offense properly.

All in all, I understand that this was just an exhibition and I am probably dissecting it way too much, but I came away very frustrated from a team that I'm expecting a top 3 finish from this year, plain and simple we need to be much much better than we were tonight.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
11-04-11 07:15 AM - Post#110452    
    In response to LoCo2011

I dont disagree with your assessments 11 I just pointed out a couple positive things I saw. Etherly will be fine if he gives us 20 pts and 6 boards a game we'll be okay this year. Defense and rebounding are the biggest thing that needed work, both are effort related and can be corrected. Hopefully the performance was poor due to it being an exhibition. I like the offense when the ball swings from side to side but for whatever reason our guards stop and look for an alley oop half the time and it just stalls the offense completely until we jack up a 3.

BTW, were there any upgrades to Reitz? I heard they were getting new scoreboards but I couldnt see on the online feed. What was student turnout like?
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
11-04-11 10:30 AM - Post#110465    
    In response to loco09

Sounds like it's the same awesome offense and incredible rebounding. I don't think Patsos knows what "boxing out" is.

Hopefully they're ready to go when the season starts on the 11th. Expectations are relatively high this year.

LoCo2011 
Senior

11-04-11 12:48 PM - Post#110478    
    In response to jdubs

Student turnout wasn't very good from what I could see.. I did the mature thing and sat on the 'community' side last night as hard as it was...

I talked to a couple of kids I still know at school though, and they said the main reason was that it was an exhibition but I remember our exhibitions always drawing pretty well.. but we'll see how it looks once the season starts... I'm actually interested to see how it looks next Sunday when the women play Navy and raise the NIT banner, pretty impressive stuff for Loyola, would be nice to see the students realize this.

They replaced the Retired Number and NCAA Tournament signs (I assume to make sure that the Women's NIT banner looks the same as the rest, as those sides were pretty outdated) I heard we are taking on black jerseys this year, so a lot of the sides around the gym have a black background, definitely an improvement. The scoreboards are the same but each one has a new "Unleash the Hounds" sign/banner underneath it that's a little bit smaller than the scoreboard itself, good to see the school really trying to push this "Unleash the Hounds" concept... Initially it was supposed to become Loyola's version of Maryland's Fear the Turtle, I like to see them continue on with it.

LoCo2011 
Senior

11-04-11 12:52 PM - Post#110479    
    In response to LoCo2011

one thing I will add.. seems like IUP isn't as much of a scrub team as I initially thought.

The video highlights on the Loyola website mentions that they reached the NCAA D2 Sweet 16 last year and the D2 Championship the year before that.

TCard527 
Freshman

Reg: 01-22-07
11-04-11 04:10 PM - Post#110491    
    In response to LoCo2011

I watched most of the game and, while it was only a 12 pt win over a D-II team, I was fairly impressed considering the debacle we usually put on in the first organized game.

IUP is a top D-II team, as someone mentioned they reached the Sweet 16 last year and played for a national title 2 years ago so hardly a pushover team. A D-II team (I assume of even lesser quality) just beat Butler so let's not overlook them due to their division.

I thought Etherly looked great and Latham looks like a solid, wide-body guy with some semblence of skills that we've lacked for awhile. Walker is what he is but he winds up putting up decent numbers so I'll take it. If we get Etherly, Latham, and Walker playing together with Winbush off the bench that is a solid group of big men.

I was also really impressed with Williams....he was lightning quick, tenacious on defense and around the ball, moved the ball well and was always moving off the ball (something we have continually been horrible at which has led to our shot clock 3-pointers we know so well). He also had a ridiculous weak side rebound in traffic at one point over a few bigger players. Like what I saw from him a lot for a guy his size and he could be just what we need defensively and energy-wise.

Other than that I didn't see anything surprising or that stood out....good to see Winbush healthy, hopefully it lasts, and Olson looked solid at points and I think could be a good asset defensively with his size.

Our skill isn't going to be the biggest problem this year, in my opinion. It's the timing and the influx of skill throughout the MAAC that will give us trouble. Iona is obviously stacked and Fairfield is solid and their transfer from BC will likely give us problems because he's a big guard and I'm not sure we have anyone cut out to defend that....perhaps Olson or Winbush. Anyway, I think it was a solid start and as good as, if not better than, I expected.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.532 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:36 AM