Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Loyola 7-1 after GW        (Topic#12628)
greyhound 
Freshman

Reg: 11-23-09
12-08-11 05:32 PM - Post#113917    

Loyola's off to it's best start in history with a record of 7-1. The team is ranked #104 in the Sagarin Ratings, which I believe is also the highest the team has ever been ranked.
The GW game was a good one, and we knocked off an A10 team in the process. Finally, Loyola has more than one player that can pile up the points (Cormier, Etherly, Drummond) and a very solid true point guard (RJ Williams). This is the most well-rounded Greyhound lineup I've ever seen.
Even though the Mount is supposed to be terrible, I am a bit worried. No matter the talent disparity between these teams, it is always a close game.
Loyola could potentially be 8-1 going in to play St. Bonaventure, another A10 team, which would be unbelievable. The Bonnies are pretty good despite their record; they lost to Illinois (#22) and Cleveland State (who beat #7 Vanderbilt) by a combined 8 points.
Then we have KENTUCKY!

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
12-08-11 06:25 PM - Post#113924    
    In response to greyhound

mount almost beat MD last night, we shot well last night but too many turnovers and bad shots by drummond when we should of been holding ball, this team can get better, if we want to beat the likes iona and FF we will need to do that, much better than last year, last year we killed Mount,two years ago they killed us, go hounds

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
12-08-11 06:32 PM - Post#113926    
    In response to maacballer

I'd like to see more of Brooks in the non conference. I dont think Jimmy has given him much of a chance. Cant expect etherly to give us 35 minutes every game. I can see why Latham has not been getting many minutes. I think his play has been disappoInting so far.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
12-08-11 08:42 PM - Post#113941    
    In response to Rick

I thought we played very well last night, beating a decent A10 team on the road is never easy. But as maacballer said we need to clean up some of the sloppy turnovers and Walker had a quiet offensive game last night. Our RPI is now at 99 I dont ever remember us being top 100 in the RPI. We should be able to get past a scrappy Mount team on Saturday and then the next three games are huge. @St. Bona, @Kentucky, and @Bucknell obviously Kentucky will be a loss but if we can some how win the other two or at least split them we will be in really good shape heading into MAAC play.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
12-08-11 09:44 PM - Post#113953    
    In response to loco09

loco09, you are right on your thoughts, GW was allowed back in game when the way loy was shooting and playing defense it could of been a 20 point game,Loy can get better if they can continue the unselfish play, and move the ball so cormier and etherly can get good shots, Rick, brooks can't be trusted with the ball,can't catch or dribble very well, he can rebound and block shots and is good for a few mins, latham is pretty good and he can play more back up mins in frontcourt

bigb 
Freshman

Reg: 01-30-07
12-08-11 10:22 PM - Post#113964    
    In response to maacballer

Loyola played a very good game overall. The only questions issues I have is Olsen and Brooks' limited play. Obviously, Cormier thrives when he doesn't have to be the primary ballhandler. His game reminds me of Juan Dixon's. He seems to play the best when he gets the ball worked to him through the offense. As for Brooks, my point is Loyola could benefit from a guy who wants to rebound. It seems Lantham plays passively. Olsen can handle the ball in Williams absensence. I love the way RJ plays, gritty and really understands the game, but he does need a breather.
This an uptempo team and I think they let GW get a little back in the game when they slowed things down to run the flex. The only other reason GW made a run was Loyola's medicore free throw shooting. Walker didn't seem to get involved until late, but he did show some aggression in crunch time.
All and all, how can you not be excited? 7-1, solid 8-9 deep rotation and a bonafide superstar (Cormier) in the making. If Jimmy figures the rotation and finds a groove, this team could be one of the best in school history.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.207 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:07 PM