Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: The Rest of Non-Conf        (Topic#12658)
gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
12-11-11 10:07 PM - Post#114215    

@Rider
@Northeastern
@Siena
@Florida State
@Florida A&M
TCNJ

We should win at: Rider (comfy), Siena (close), Florida A&M (~10...I'll explain), TCNJ

We should lose at: Florida St. (might keep it close for a while, but FSU pulls away)

A total toss-up: Northeastern (winning this would make up for the Drexel finish)

The guys just need to keep doing what they've been doing the last three games. Well, that and the following things:

1) With Barrett out, we need Connolly's size and defense more than ever. If he can't improve his post moves, then he can at least cut down on silly loose-ball and non-shooting fouls. That way, he can stay in the game for his interior D. Saunders actually did a nice job against Drexel...he just wasn't strong enough to stop them.

2) Get Clement and/or Wilson into the rotation (at 5-10mpg). That way, Bray and Davis won't be so overwhelmed by late-game pressure. A lowly, but nonetheless D-I FAMU seems like an ideal opportunity to give Chris and Clay their first real action. MH can let Hummer play 30min. to ensure the win, but those two need to see 15+ minutes, I think. The TCNJ game isn't enough.

3) Play Koon 20+mpg for the rest of non-conf -- even if it costs us a game or two. It's all about Ivy play, anyway. We need Denton to develop ASAP since Barrett is injured this year and Justin Sears is going to Yale next year.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

The Rest of Non-Conf
12-11-11 10:44 PM - Post#114217    
    In response to gokinsmen

And yes, "2010" remains my rallying cry. A spotty non-conf (a solid record, but a super-weak schedule). Followed by a darkhorse title campaign against the overwhelming Ivy favorite. The league may be much stronger overall now, but this Princeton team is more talented than 2010's.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: The Rest of Non-Conf
12-12-11 08:28 AM - Post#114230    
    In response to gokinsmen

I think Clay Wilson is still hurt. He never got out of his warmups at Drexel.

Henderson is trying to cobble together an offense/defense backup guard by using Comfort and Sherbourne.

Connolly almost refuses even to look at the basket on offense, except if he gets an offensive rebound. His open bunny against Drexel occurred after he was startled by how open he was. On the other hand, out at the three point line he is very comfortable setting picks and even putting the ball on the floor to move from side to side. And on the defensive end, he works very hard and uses his big body to keep the big guys off the low block.

I was surprised how easily Foucht (spelling?) scored over Hummer when he posted up--Henderson had to put Darrow on him. Also Drexel apparently realized that once Hummer gets moving on his drives he doesn't stop, so the charge they drew was planned. Hummer has gotten better at dishing when triple teamed and stationary. Now he will need to learn to stop and shoot or dish when moving if the route to the basket closes.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

The Rest of Non-Conf
12-12-11 03:06 PM - Post#114269    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

What's Wilson's injury? Didn't hear about that. Comfort's a one-dimensional 3pt shooter, but if he can come in for 5 minutes and hit 1-2 treys -- why not?

As for Sherburne, he did a great job on defense the other day against Massenat, who isn't especially quick but is skilled and smooth. So he may be able to defensive-sub in for DD late in games against, say, McNally and Drew Ferry. Still, I haven't seen any evidence yet that he can do more than that. With Wilson out, I think it's time to give Clement a chance to crack the rotation.

Connolly's probably afraid of having the ball stripped, which has happened a couple times. But that's only because he's so stationary and flat-footed. He's got to pivot and use his huge frame to create space...it's like he's too nice and doesn't want to hurt anyone. The guy can still set a pick and body up opposing big men. But unless he can finish reliably while driving to the hoops, I don't think he should even attempt it. Sure, he made that UK bucket...but it wasn't pretty. He's gotta confront his struggles in the post not run from them.

To be fair, Fouch hit some pretty tough shots and probably used some of the same techniques Hummer does against bigger defenders. Everyone gets beat sometimes. As for the charges, yeah, he reacted/passed too late. But in the post-game, he immediately admitted it and didn't question the refs' call. So I'm sure that problem will fade.

clio 
Freshman

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: The Rest of Non-Conf
12-13-11 12:20 AM - Post#114313    
    In response to gokinsmen

Clay Wilson has a shoulder injury. His arm was in a sling after the Lafayette game.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

12-13-11 01:54 AM - Post#114314    
    In response to clio

Aha. Thanks for the info.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.018 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:40 PM