Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: St Bona game        (Topic#12666)
Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
12-13-11 11:55 AM - Post#114329    

Do you think we have a chance here?
I wish we got the students out like this school does. Have less than 2000 undergrads that pack the Reilly center.

hound4life 
Freshman

Reg: 01-01-09
Re: St Bona game
12-13-11 01:43 PM - Post#114341    
    In response to Rick

a school of under 2000 maybe, but the stadium seats about 6000.... clearly they get a lot more support being in the middle of nowhere. Look at Marist - they pack out the arena just because people in the area have nothing better to do. You're competing with a city which has a lot going on and students would much rather go to a bar in the city then sit home on a friday night to watch a subpar basketball game. Don't get me wrong, I went to Loyola and missed less then a handful of games in my four years. But you will not see any crowds until this team consistently start winning and they get some national recognition. The student body is dying for a successful team (No, a sport which is played by only 60+ division one schools will not do the job. It's easy to say we are a top 25 lacrosse school when about a quarter of the teams out there are within 5 years of the first game for the school. But I digress...) You can't get support from students being successful at sports like soccer and lacrosse. Find me any school in the nation that the lacrosse/soccer program is the number one revenue producing, crowd drawing sport. Give the student body time - if we continue to win, students will come.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
12-13-11 02:34 PM - Post#114344    
    In response to hound4life

• hound4life Said:
You're competing with a city which has a lot going on and students would much rather go to a bar in the city then sit home on a friday night to watch a subpar basketball game.

I'm so sick of this BS argument, as if Baltimore is NYC. Baltimore has no pro baskteball and no dominant college program. It borrows U of Maryland as the team to cover. Try being Iona, or Manhattan... those schools have it MUCH harder.

As you eventually go on to say - it is about winning - building a tradition, an expectation of success. You win, you become a source of pride at the school and in the community - and the men's basketball team has far greater potential to attract national visibility and greater revenue for the school than the lax program could ever hope to achieve.

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
12-13-11 03:39 PM - Post#114348    
    In response to jdp 94

I agree with jdp. i don't know what attendance has been this year, but if they make it through this stretch with a decent win or two, the students will come out in the new year.

hound4life 
Freshman

12-13-11 06:42 PM - Post#114352    
    In response to jdubs

JDP you can be "sick" of that argument all you want. But I have a feeling I'm a little closer to being in the student situation than you are.

I grew up on Long Island and have a few friends that went to Iona - there is much less desire to go into NYC than you think. You try going out and spending $10 a drink on a college budget. They go to little dive bars around the school, as well as some around Fordham, and have house parties. I'm not gonna answer your "Manhattan" argument because i went to the Loyola/Manhattan game there over Christmas break about two years ago - you could hear pins drop.

So you can whine and complain all you want, but its the reality of the situation. And as long as Loyola's administration is stupid enough to schedule Sunday afternoon games conflicting with "Raven" football - good luck getting locals out to the games.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
12-13-11 07:52 PM - Post#114355    

It is hard to get the community to come to the games because frankly for the last 30 years the team has sucked and there has been no reason to go. If you look at St. Bona, Siena, and some of the mid majors in the region they were good for long stretches of time and people grew up going to the games and continue to go now. Loyola has to build that culture of families taking their kids to the games and get the locals to come out. The students will come if the team is good and promotions help as well. The location argument is part of it but its not the only reason.

And you cant complain about Loyola scheduling those Sunday games you can thank the MAAC for that they wanted to go with Friday Sunday rotation mainly to get Friday night games on ESPNU.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
12-13-11 07:59 PM - Post#114356    
    In response to loco09

As for the game yes Loyola has a chance but i dont like the circumstances, coming of an 8 day break for exams, fairly long trip, sunday afternoon game and a good opponent. They are led by 6-9 Andrew Nicholson who is avg 15.3 pts and 8.1 boards a game so hopefully Walker and Etherly can control him somewhat and maybe if were lucky get him in early foul trouble. If we can force some turnovers and limit our own and do what we do best ie. rebound we should have a decent shot at winning. Bona just beat Canisius by 20 so it should be interesting to see how we do. A win here would be great but I'm not holding my breath.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
12-13-11 10:45 PM - Post#114363    
    In response to loco09

loco09, its not worth winning if you can't win big! Loyola wins by 5 pts over St Bon!

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
St Bona game
12-14-11 04:28 PM - Post#114388    

• hound4life Said:
JDP you can be "sick" of that argument all you want. But I have a feeling I'm a little closer to being in the student situation than you are.

Your age doesn't make your BS argument because it is the same BS arguement that was made when I was there a million years ago.

The problem isn't the "distractions" of Baltimore. Balto may as well be any [fill in the blank] midsized American city. It isn't NYC. Not San Francisco or LA. There aren't a million things to do.

The community doesn't support the team because the team doesn't win. The students don't support the team because they rather be drinking. It has nothing to do with options.

• hound4life Said:
I grew up on Long Island and have a few friends that went to Iona - there is much less desire to go into NYC than you think. You try going out and spending $10 a drink on a college budget. They go to little dive bars around the school, as well as some around Fordham, and have house parties. I'm not gonna answer your "Manhattan" argument because i went to the Loyola/Manhattan game there over Christmas break about two years ago - you could hear pins drop.

You've completely missed my point. I was NOT talking about students going into the City to drink. I was talking about those two programs building a following/raising visibility in their local markets. That will never happen for them in the NYC market. But Loyola is in Baltimore. If they had a run like Siena had, you have a chance of taking sports marketshare in the area. The students are an important part of building a fan base, but without aluni and community, the fanbase doesn't grow or carry influence.

• hound4life Said:
So you can whine and complain all you want, but its the reality of the situation. And as long as Loyola's administration is stupid enough to schedule Sunday afternoon games conflicting with "Raven" football - good luck getting locals out to the games.

The only dynamic that has really changed since I attended Loyola is Ravens football. It sounds like it would be pretty stupid to try and compete with that that - but those are isolated occations.

And for the record, I wasn't whining or complaining. Just pointing out your misguided opinion that Baltimore was some cornucopia of entertainment options.

hound4life 
Freshman

12-15-11 04:03 PM - Post#114434    

• hound4life Said:

Give the student body time - if we continue to win, students will come.

We're both saying the same thing here - we win, we get crowds. I also said that they would rather go to a bar in the city then sit and watch subpar bball on a Friday night. My point was not about Baltimore being awesome, it was about ANYthing remotely interesting taking away from students interest for the bball team.

Yes, I agree if Loyola makes a run it will draw local attention. But, Iona has a pretty decent following from people in the area of the school. I've been to Loyola games in most MAAC sites but Iona was one of the most electric. People actually cared.

Addressing your point about alumni... Loyola can't get alumni following in the area because most of the alumni end up back where they grew up (NJ, NY, MA, PA). So there are no ties in the area presently, until they start to win.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
12-15-11 04:40 PM - Post#114436    

• hound4life Said:

Addressing your point about alumni... Loyola can't get alumni following in the area because most of the alumni end up back where they grew up (NJ, NY, MA, PA). So there are no ties in the area presently, until they start to win.

I'm pretty sure that is inaccurate. Plenty of alumni in the area from which to draw from.

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
12-15-11 10:33 PM - Post#114443    
    In response to jdp 94

if Loy beats Kentucky they will come

Bang Bang 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-03-07
St Bona game
12-16-11 11:23 AM - Post#114458    
    In response to maacballer

The last home game I went to seemed to have a lot of non-students at the game. Not sure how many were alumni, but I think we have a pretty good community interest. The problem I think is that the interest may not be something engrained into these people. We're doing well, obviously now there will be greater interest. But as the program continues through the ups and downs each season, I'm not sure these people will continue showing up. Maybe they will?

Regarding the alumni, I think it all starts with student attendance. If you enjoyed going to games as a student, it'll transition to your alumni life to come to games. Once you have that sense of school pride, you continue to support the team as an adult -- you can see this with many of the larger schools that have generations of families attending games year after year. Many Loyola grads do leave the Baltimore area, but there still should be plenty around here to fill a gym.

Start with the students, and the alumni will come (as the students become alumni). I think we have a pretty good community backing, whether or not it's instilled in them. But these things take time, for sure. As the spotlight grows, we'll obviously get a bigger draw too. But Loyola has made great strides since Patsos has been here in terms of attendance.

Again, I'm basing this off the attendance of one home game this season.

Edited by Bang Bang on 12-16-11 11:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.218 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:54 AM