Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Does this site layout work?        (Topic#127)
Anonymous 

12-03-04 10:51 PM - Post#554    

I'm wondering if there are enough active Ivy fans to make a go of this type of segregated site. Looking at the activity on the H/D/Cor/B/Y boards (not a whole lot, to be kind) you've got to wonder whether this works.

It seems to me that without the large contingent of 'P' followers regularly reading and commenting on posts about non 'P' teams there just isn't enough activity to draw people to those boards.

Much as folks from those schools may not have liked the amount of 'P' activity on the old board, I've got to think it was better to have someone reading/commenting on things going on than just having lots of silence...

Administrator 
Junior
Administrator
Reg: 11-08-04
Re: Does this site layout work?
12-04-04 12:27 AM - Post#555    
    In response to

It probably depends on your motivation for being here.

If you're here to be heard by the maximum number of people, then you're probably bummed that you aren't automatically being broadcast to everyone on here.

However, if you're here to read about or discuss your team, you're loving this.

Since the board's purpose for existing is discussion rather than providing a forum for individuals to communicate to the masses, the move to this format makes sense.

Just so this is completely clear to everyone: This move is permanent. There is absolutely zero chance of returning to the single-board format.

Embrace the future. This is it.

Stripes 
Freshman
Stripes
Loc: Boston
Reg: 11-21-04
12-04-04 03:30 AM - Post#556    
    In response to Administrator

To me the jury is out on whether it works or not.

But "working" isn't about being better or worse than the old board. This is because a daily reading of the "active topics" makes it just like the old board, so there really is no change for me.

The proof of success will be whether the new format will attract more non-Penn fans to participate and discuss their own team - something that was harder to do in the ivybasketball world where there were 10 Penn posts to each non-Penn post, and most non-Penn threads seemed to turn into Penn threads. And I don't mean to disparage the Penn fans here - you are great fans and really embraced the site...it's just that a critical mass wasn't developing for the other schools.

It may be that this change doesn't, in fact, bring in more active participants for the other teams (there is a bit of a chicken and egg challenge here). If so, then it won't have "worked", but the pain will lie on the backs of those who put it together, not on those of us who have changed our bookmarks to: Active Links.

Domer72 
Domer72
Loc: Rural Iowa
12-04-04 05:07 AM - Post#557    
    In response to Administrator

That "embrace the future" bit....did that come from "Pogo"?

BigGreenjeans 
goober

Reg: 11-22-04
12-05-04 05:44 AM - Post#558    
    In response to

What Penn-Princeton fans may object to is not being able to subject the rest of Ivy fans with their constant P-centered blather. Chuck Daly's comment reveals the naked truth: they never considered this an Ivy board in the first place, just a P's board writ large. Content yourself, P-fans with dominating discussion in your own little world, and don't worry about the activity, or lack of it, on other boards. Your "concern" for the rest of the board -- and league --rings a more than a bit hollow. The new format fits us non-P's just fine.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-05-04 12:54 PM - Post#559    
    In response to BigGreenjeans

No, you have it all wrong. Penn fans only want to subject the Princeton faithful to Penn blather, and vice versa. The rest of the league... just collateral damage. I think we should have combined 'P' board, and separate boards for everyone else.

Anonymous 

12-05-04 01:42 PM - Post#560    
    In response to Streamers

The active topics section is the place to be for sure. Is there a one button way to go to the next topic in this section? Right now I can only do it in 2 steps which seems silly.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Yep.
12-06-04 01:01 PM - Post#561    
    In response to

Hi Chuck --

I'm enjoying the layout. I was honestly never that interested in the in depth team discussions of the P's, only really joining in when there was something of league-wide interest.

On the Brown board, there's been more discussion of Brown-related items than there ever was on the old board. I've been posting with other Brown fans about the details I'm most interested in -- and it's more than I had before. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that there's more discussion now of most of the non-P teams than there was before - with the notable exception of Cornell... and we know why that is.

The bottom line is that if some of the team boards are light, those are the same teams that were getting overshadowed on the main board -- and if those fans don't want to be posting, that's fine. This way, everyone's able to get what they want out of the site, without having to wade through the countless posts that we just have no interest in. If we want those, we can log onto the other boards to get them, and if there's league-wide news of interest, we'll check it out on the main board.

Cheers.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

oldtimeRudyL 

12-06-04 01:05 PM - Post#562    
    In response to Stripes

I agree with Stripes on this. If you check the board regularly and just use Active Topics, it's like the old board. I also like that when there has been something to discuss on one of the teams with less "traffic", there is a place to make that known.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
12-06-04 02:27 PM - Post#563    
    In response to oldtimeRudyL

Agreed with 10Q- if there is some way to go directly from one active topic to the next, that would make my day.

Also, there still needs to be some place for 10Q and I to discuss the new Florida Coach. My friend from Utah is despondant, as are my friends from Notre Dame. Is there any way to start an SEC football site here? secfanatics is kinda scary.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.171 seconds.   Total Queries: 19   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:55 AM