Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Niagara        (Topic#12768)
maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
01-02-12 04:41 PM - Post#115615    

understand Niagara has a freshman guard who is averaging over 20 points, also hear they do not have a good frontcourt, hopefully we can slow the kid down

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
Re: Niagara
01-02-12 10:33 PM - Post#115649    
    In response to maacballer

Guess not...same old Loyola...not prepared to play
Very inconsistent...reminded me of the Siena game last year

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
01-03-12 12:18 AM - Post#115658    
    In response to Rick

Patsos is a joke..

who runs a play to tie the game with a 3 with around 30 seconds left in the game...

who also after having drawn up said play, has it end with Cormier just holding on to the ball (everyone in Reitz knew Cormier was instructed to shoot the 3 off a screen)... but then only to give it up to Etherly (who looked like he shot too soon) for the game tying 3... that's just inexcusable and really mind-boggling to run that kind of offensive play with so much time left down 3

we're good this year and it still could turn out to be a good year for Loyola but we will not get to an NCAA tournament with Patsos running the X's and O's... that was embarrassing

Bang Bang 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-03-07
01-03-12 10:05 AM - Post#115665    
    In response to LoCo2011

We looked flat in this game. Terrible shooting night for us, couldn't do anything against their 1-3-1 zone, and didn't guard the perimeter well, where they shot over 50%. We had a few dumb turnovers too on errant passes. I also agree that the play calling at the end of the game wasn't good. Hopefully we bounce back from this one quickly.

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
01-03-12 10:21 AM - Post#115667    
    In response to Bang Bang

not winning games shooting 35.7%

bigb 
Freshman

Reg: 01-30-07
01-03-12 10:33 AM - Post#115669    
    In response to jdubs

They did come out flat. If I were any other team playing Loyola, I'd zone them up all year long. They refused to flash anyone to the high post or take advantage of their size with a high-low offense.
Patsos must have really been upset with Williams, he didn't see much time the second half. At one time, he had Winbush running the point...that made no sense. His substitution patterns still make no sense. He had Olsen and Winbush subbing every other play for each other...and how do you sit Drummund for as long as he did? He almost scored 1/2 the team's points, yet there he was on the bench for 8 minutes of the 2nd half.

Anyone know what's up with Latham? Saw he was in street clothes? He didn't look hurt, but maybe he is.

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
01-03-12 11:13 AM - Post#115673    
    In response to bigb

latham hurt his foot

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
01-03-12 11:55 AM - Post#115682    
    In response to maacballer

Déjà vu all over again. Thought maybe someone else was running the game strategy this year, but this game looked like same old same old.

Jimmy said the last play was for Olsen but Cormier “got it to him a little late then he didn’t shoot it”. Post-game announcers questioned a lot of what happened in the game, Jimmy got a little testy then simply said “I’m the coach so it’s my fault they were not ready to play”. My guess is they’ll have new announcers for the next online broadcast! ;>)

Williams was in the Patsos doghouse for something, and that was also why Olsen was subbed in and out so much. That’s the Gary Williams school, yank a guy as soon as he makes a mistake, only Jimmy berates the guy who made the mistake whereas Gary always yelled at the others on the bench. Gary was a good coach most of the time, but this was one of the traits I prefer Jimmy not emulate.

Glad Latham had an injury, any time I see guys in street clothes I get Jamaal Barney flashbacks!

Was hearing Jimmy was trying to change his in-game habits this year, guess that was a lot easier when the team played well. No question they shot poorly last night, the stats show that, but shot choices were not always the best, that’s coaching/teaching. Guys are gonna miss shots sometimes, no coaching can fix that, but making good shot choices is all about coaching, especially when the other team throws a zone at you

After coming out in the second half and dominating early, thought they were home free. Then halfway thru they went back to sleepwalking. Hard to follow substitution flow online, but I know when I am there in person it is evident that Jimmy has no X and O reason for who is on the floor at a given point in time, he always seems to manage it by who he’s ticked off at, which is no way to run a team IMHO.

Gonna be interesting to see how Jimmy handles these next two games, I think that’s gonna be key to whether or not we can expect any different results this year

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
01-04-12 11:42 AM - Post#115805    
    In response to WOFM

I watched Loyola play two games this season over the Internet. Kentucky and Niagara.

Kentucky was fun for the first half, I gave them a pass on the second half. Obviously outclassed.

But that Niagara game was embarrassing. The last two minutes were an absolute clinic on how not to coach basketball. Joe Mihalic owns Jimmy Patsos.

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
01-04-12 11:30 PM - Post#115912    
    In response to jdp 94

Chance for this season to really start to slip away with a tough game against a much improved Manhattan team tomorrow night, if we come out flat and put up an effort like the NU game, this team will be no different than in years' past. Excited to finally watch this team live though, the feed is great bc it's free and everything but can sometimes be tough to follow.

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
01-05-12 10:52 AM - Post#115928    
    In response to LoCo2011

Yeah, the feed can be tough to watch. No score, except the random shots of the scoreboard. The person running the camera is a little spastic too.

I'm just spoiled by ESPN3.

It is great that they have an option to watch the games.

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
01-05-12 05:10 PM - Post#115953    
    In response to jdubs

Manhattan hasn't come close to beating anyone yet in the Maac this year but have done well out of conference
Manhattan has Loyola,Iona and Fairfield over the next 3 games

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.726 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:03 PM