Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: What does Loyola need to do to compete and win the MAAC this year?        (Topic#12820)
maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
01-10-12 03:34 PM - Post#116384    

Loy is 4-1 after four home and one away games. We have learned that the team is better this year than recent years because they are more balanced and seem to enjoy playing together. What do we need to do to get more consistent and win the MAAC toruney. Regular season helps with seeding but doesn't really mean anything. Where do we need to go to be good enough to win it in early March? Or can we?

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
Re: What does Loyola need to do to compete and win the MAAC this year?
01-10-12 04:23 PM - Post#116386    
    In response to maacballer

I'd recommend they don't let Jimmy coach during the games.

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
01-10-12 09:43 PM - Post#116416    
    In response to jdp 94

I honestly think we're a better team the less of a factor Shane Walker is.

He does deserve minutes but for him to get his special treatment from Patsos (hardly ever gets on him, especially compared to the other guys) is just absurd and cannot happen.

The offense should not and cannot run through Walker... he's a nice piece here and there but I think the lineup that deserves the most minutes is Etherly, Winbush, Olsen, Cormier, Williams (with Drumond, Latham, Walker, Hall, Brooks coming off the bench... in that order) Place matchups accordingly but all things considered.. that should be who sees the bulk of our minutes.

As to whether or not we can win the MAAC.. it's tough to say until we see how we perform against Fairfield first... but in all honesty it's Iona's league to lose this year and I picture a pretty ugly loss when we play them, especially in New Ro this weekend.

maacballer 
Sophomore

01-10-12 11:11 PM - Post#116429    
    In response to LoCo2011

watched iona the other night against niagara, they are small and shoot alot of threes, we need josh weigand back to guard glover like last year, walker didnt play either game last year against them, you are right we need to get by FF which will be tough

TCard527 
Freshman

Reg: 01-22-07
What does Loyola need to do to compete and win the MAAC this year?
01-11-12 10:27 AM - Post#116447    

Having watched this team over the past few years I am confident in saying this team is the best by far and should get to 20 wins. Obviously Iona is the class of the league but I think we are right there with them, a notch below. Fairfield was way overrated entering the season and their play has reflected that. Bad losses to Siena and Manhattan and 2 of their wins in the MAAC over Canisius and then a close win over Niagara. Rakim Sanders will be a problem for us, a 6'5" guard...our guards aren't big enough to cover him, hopefully Olsen or Winbush can pick him up. But I think we are a better team than Fairfield.

I also don't share the hatred for Walker that everyone else seems to....but maybe thats because I just see him as a better Sean Corrigan, our 7'1" center who probably shot more threes than dunks in the time he was on the team and seemed allergic to the paint. I think Walker can provide matchup problems with his skill set and if Etherly can control the boards he can be an asset. But we will go as far as Etherly, Cormier, and Olsen can take us.

Also, we have proven time and time again under Patsos that we get up for big games. Think back to our matchups with Siena when they eventually went into the NCAA Tournament and upset someone, we always played them tough and even swept them in 07-08 (the first year they notched an upset in the NCAA) before we blew our shot to make the MAAC Championship game thanks to the inexplicable decision to let Josko play defense with under 5 seconds left...but I digress. Either way, based on what we've seen thus far I think we are better than Fairfield and I think we can split with Iona, losing this weekend but not as bad as some might expect, and then beating them at home. Iona has already shown they can be prone to a bad loss, getting handled pretty easily by a not-very-good Hofstra team.

Patsos might not be a good X's and O's coach but they play hard for him and he has shown he can get the team up for big games....our biggest problem is playing down in easy games. If we can beat the MAAC teams we SHOULD beat I see a #2 seed in the MAAC Tourney in our future.

Edited by TCard527 on 01-11-12 10:29 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
01-11-12 01:19 PM - Post#116485    
    In response to TCard527

Our problem is that we dont seem to be able to beat the teams we should..ie..our huge home loss to Siena last year before coming back to beat Iona 2 days later.
If we can shot the 3 this weekend it will help us open up the inside game. I think we have a shot against Fairfield but I don't like the matchups against Iona the way we play defense.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
01-12-12 10:38 PM - Post#116693    
    In response to Rick

Iona goes down to Manhattan tonight on a last second 3. That sets up a huge weekend for the Hounds. Sweep and we are solely in first. Split and we are a solid 2nd place team. Get swept and we are back at square one with every game a must win.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

Bang Bang 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-03-07
01-13-12 11:59 AM - Post#116741    
    In response to loco09

Manhattan has shown up as a solid team, beating Fairfield and Iona in two straight games. Turns out that last second win against them earlier in the week is huge for us. Bad timing though with Iona -- they'll be hungry to win coming off that loss and play us.

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
01-13-12 05:17 PM - Post#116810    

All the Hounds need is Etherly to be able to shoot like Walker, or Walker rebound and play D like Etherly.

And I agree with jdp94, keep Jimmy off the bench during games.

Will be an interesting weekend, but regardless of their standing in reg season, the tournament is the only thing that counts, as St Peters showed last year.

Although, if they were to somehow get 20 wins (assuming at least one win vs Iona), maybe an NIT invite?

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
01-14-12 12:32 AM - Post#116924    
    In response to WOFM

• WOFM Said:
All the Hounds need is Etherly to be able to shoot like Walker, or Walker rebound and play D like Etherly.

And I agree with jdp94, keep Jimmy off the bench during games.

Will be an interesting weekend, but regardless of their standing in reg season, the tournament is the only thing that counts, as St Peters showed last year.

Although, if they were to somehow get 20 wins (assuming at least one win vs Iona), maybe an NIT invite?

Incredible comeback tonight.

The goal for every season should be *some* post-season invitation. An NIT invite would be a tremendous accomplishment. Anything can happen in a conference tourny, which is a good and bad thing. If Loyola can get to 22 or 23 wins, I think they get an NIT nod. They can do it.

WOFM 
Freshman

01-14-12 12:46 AM - Post#116929    
    In response to jdp 94

Some poor execution throughout, but gotta love the effort. Olsen was clutch in the second half. Walker really does seem lost though. Agree, an NIT invite would be good for the program (with the upside of maybe Jimmy parlays that into a new gig )

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
01-14-12 01:18 AM - Post#116932    
    In response to WOFM

At the end of that game I thought "I don't believe we came back and won that game." I thought the our defining momment was getting past 7 down which was where I thought we would run out of gas. Liked winbushs effort again tonight. Team plays better when he is in there. Olsen of course was the man. Thought etherly carried the team early in the year but right now it's Bobbie.
Hope we don't have a hangover on Sunday. Iona was devistated they lost to manhattan and will be loaded for bear.
I'll take a split. First place in Maac for tonight !

maacballer 
Sophomore

01-14-12 12:08 PM - Post#116988    
    In response to Rick

forget the split we have to go and win that game, we played average against FF, too many turnovers etc... great effort and comeback but we can get better

LoCo2011 
Senior

01-14-12 12:32 PM - Post#116990    

I couldn't watch the game.. so looking for a Shane Walker opinion more than anything... when I look at his box score, I get angry but I don't want to judge him without seeing him play, how'd he look.

His box score reads:

4 pts on 1-7 shooting (a 3 and a FT)
3 rebounds (He played 31 minutes, you're 6'10".. holy crap is he soft)
3 turnovers (no need)
3 blocks (eh whatever, Shane can block shots but he's still a horrible defender, there's more to playing defense than blocking shots)
31 minutes (based off of watching his game as of late and looking at the stats, I see no reason why he got so many minutes)

Winbush had more points (5) and more rebounds (5) in just 14 minutes of play... Please tell me why our front line isn't Etherly, Winbush?

LoCo2011 
Senior

01-14-12 12:35 PM - Post#116991    
    In response to LoCo2011

Adding to that..

In 32 minutes... so just one more minute... Erik Etherly who is smaller (I think 6'8" or 9")

17 pts, 10 reb, just 2 TO, 2 Assists (he leads our team in assists.. little fun fact for ya)

Shane Walker needs to find his place firmly on the bench if this team is going to go anywhere

maacballer 
Sophomore

01-14-12 02:50 PM - Post#117006    
    In response to LoCo2011

walker's knee was bothering him and he looked like he got hit in head, he had some blocks and made a nice play at end getting fouled on touchdown pass, only made one of two like winbush at end, he played okay, we needed him in there

WOFM 
Freshman

01-14-12 02:51 PM - Post#117007    
    In response to LoCo2011

Have not seen a game in person yet this year, but based on TV and online watching, Walker seems to have regressed. Was never a great defender but used to score once in a while, get a few boards, and every other block or so would be useful. Now, he’s just taking up a spot.

His stats accurately reflect his game last night.

In fact, he lazily went for a late rebound and knocked it out of Etherly’s hands for what could have been a key late possession. It was as if he couldn’t see the green shirt Etherly was wearing.

I would definitely give Winbush more minutes and see what he can do. I don’t like it when Jimmy seems to want to let him run the point, but he hustles and bangs like Etherly.

Win vs Iona would be nice, but given the way Jimmy’s teams have handled success in the past, might be better if they play well and lose, just to keep them hungry.

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
01-17-12 10:46 AM - Post#117389    
    In response to WOFM

Was at the game on Friday night. Etherly, Cormier and Olsen all looked good. The offense desperately needs Olsen to shoot like that, as their offense doesn't create points. Walker was not impressive. One particular terrible three attempt comes to mind.

Great comeback though. They were able to turn it on in the last 8 minutes. Rakim Sanders is massive. He almost looked bored out there. Would be scary in the MAAC, if he put more effort in.

On another note, I like the new black uni's.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.197 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:14 PM