Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: 1-1 (but progress, I think)        (Topic#12869)
QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
Re: 1-1 (but progress, I think)
01-17-12 10:15 PM - Post#117472    
    In response to mrjames

Censorship is alive and well on BRF's blog.

In my experience, anything that contradicts BRF, paints Cornell in anything short of completely glorious colors, or does not actively acknowledge that Greg Barratt was the greatest transfer in Ivy history is summarily deleted.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
01-17-12 10:26 PM - Post#117474    
    In response to QHoops

Just shows what happens when you give a narcissist his own little fiefdom.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-09-09
01-18-12 06:12 AM - Post#117490    
    In response to Mike Porter

• Mike Porter Said:
  • mountainred Said:
No need to be sorry Mike P., I re-started posting on this board to hear from non-Cornell fans. I'm glad that my thoughts on the frosh aren't overly inflated by my red-tinted glasses.

Good to hear it and great to have more posters on these boards. Keeps it more interesting so please keep posting and feel free to bring friends.

I lurk but don't post on CBB forums and I saw maybe yesterday that someone posted about the possibility of migrating here and posting more (phillysportsfan I think)... and I see today that post no longer exists. I'm assuming that BRF eradicated it?

Yes that was phillysportsfan, that was my post. I am amazed you saw that post, BRF took it down within 5 hours or so. I dont understand what his problem is. I read his blog everyday, it serves its purpose, saves me from searching google news everyday to find articles and keep track of recruits. However, I dont get why we need our own forum over there. I would rather post over here, only more people to get involved.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

01-18-12 06:16 AM - Post#117491    
    In response to QHoops

• QHoops Said:

In my experience, anything that contradicts BRF, paints Cornell in anything short of completely glorious colors, or does not actively acknowledge that Greg Barratt was the greatest transfer in Ivy history is summarily deleted.

I think you are exaggerating a little bit, he deletes a lot of posts on his blog but he rarely deletes posts off the forum where he rarely comments. There is a decent amount of criticism on forum

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

01-18-12 06:29 AM - Post#117492    
    In response to mountainred

• mountainred Said:
There is no question that Cancer is a work in progress, but an intriguing one. He will make plays that are simply jaw-dropping (both good and bad). The old-timey, cigar-chewing scout side of my brain marvels at his tools.

I'm not saying he is an elite shooter, his FT percentage tells you he isn't, but his main shooting issue is his insistence on driving the lane and putting himself in an impossible position. Over and over. (Yes, Galel, Ian Hummer is still down on the blocks waiting for you.) That's a problem for a PG and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was hoping for more improvement in the decision-making.

Still, it's not like Cornell is sitting a bunch of high-efficiency guards in order to give Cancer PT. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cherry push him for the role of #3 guard. He looks like a better shooter, and I would like to see him with more time to get enough data to make a better evaluation.

I dont think Cancer will ever be an elite jump shooter but he should be able to improve his FT. He was a 70% FT shooter in high school.

I do think Cherry will eventually be a better player than Cancer. Cherry seems to be a much better shooter and can get to the basket like Cancer but is much more under control.

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
01-18-12 10:12 AM - Post#117498    
    In response to cornellfan4

• cornellfan4 Said:
  • QHoops Said:

I think you are exaggerating a little bit, he deletes a lot of posts on his blog but he rarely deletes posts off the forum where he rarely comments. There is a decent amount of criticism on forum

I know BRF burned a lot of bridges over here, but my experience is the same as Cornellfan4: the blog is his domain but the forum is more hands off.

And we all know Drew Ferry is the greatest transfer in Ivy history.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
01-18-12 10:23 AM - Post#117499    

I'm pretty sure that one of the initial reasons for this board splitting from an Ivy-wide message board to an Ivy-wide one and 8 teams was to try to give each team its own community, since the Penn fans are numerous and tend to post, umm, vigorously. That's worked to an extent, but Penn fans always seem to find their way over to other boards as well.

At any rate, everyone is welcome to post here. I "unbanned" everyone that was ever cast into exile so all of the usernames should work again.

mrjames 
Professor

01-18-12 10:24 AM - Post#117500    

I haven't seen a ton of Galal this year, but everything about him reminds me of Harrison Gaines. For better or worse, that's where my mind goes.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

01-18-12 10:39 AM - Post#117503    
    In response to mrjames

He's considerably bigger and more physical than Gaines.

QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
01-18-12 03:38 PM - Post#117531    

• cornellfan4 Said:
  • QHoops Said:

Let me get this straight.

The blog (which of course invites comments on each post) has a high rate of censorship, and the forum (which of course exists to host discussion) only has a low rate of censorship.

And you are saying this is OK.

Hats off to BRF, he has put in a lot of work and it shows. But to act as his own Ministry of Truth is small-minded beyond words.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
01-18-12 09:00 PM - Post#117553    
    In response to QHoops

Hadn't looked at BRF's blog in months, but this discussion prompted a peek and discovered he had (surprise!) anointed Cornell's recruiting class the best in the league.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
01-19-12 01:59 AM - Post#117584    
    In response to Howard Gensler

• Howard Gensler Said:
He's considerably bigger and more physical than Gaines.

Yeah I could see the comparison on numbers and play style but agree with Howard that Cancer is bigger and more physical. He's really got to learn when not to go fullspeed and his shot needs a lot of work, but if I was a Cornell fan I'd like his upside.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

01-20-12 10:31 AM - Post#117712    

• cornellfan4 Said:
However, I dont get why we need our own forum over there. I would rather post over here, only more people to get involved.

Do you think if he posted his little lesson about why Cornell's incoming recruiting class is the best in the League in an open forum that he wouldn't called on it viciously within minutes? Cornell fans are fine to have but the vacuous cliche-riddled diatribes we can do without. Really, if he could bring information and opinion without trolling I'd have no problem. But history's proven that's impossible so, his own sandbox it is.

And I never cease to be stunned that someone who got through Cornell and law school still is as inept with commas as he is.

mrjames 
Professor

01-20-12 10:41 AM - Post#117717    
    In response to pennhoops

To repeat: no one is banned from these boards. Anyone who wants to post here and maintains a modicum of decency is quite welcome.

mountainred 
Masters Student

01-20-12 11:28 AM - Post#117725    
    In response to mrjames

And another Cornell thread turns into a discussion of BRF, even though he never made an appearance. {sigh}

As for Cornell's recuring class, it looks solid. Better than what Penn or Harvard are bringing in, who knows? Probably not, but ask me in four years after we know if Bunce is the elusive stud center or not.

mrjames 
Professor

01-20-12 11:41 AM - Post#117728    

Bunce and Kuakumensah went at it in a tournament last weekend, getting to play the finals against each other. Bunce apparently got a couple nice baskets against Kuakumensah, but the latter also rejected a bunch of shots in that game.

Bunce made first-team all tournament while Kuakumensah took home the MVP. From accounts of the tournament, it would seem that Bunce is further ahead offensively (something Cornell needs), but that Kuakumensah can dominate the paint defensively (something Brown definitely needs).

I did that recruiting research earlier this year that showed that while, in general, projecting any one player is a crapshoot that the rankings do tend to stratify player by odds of success decently well. It would be pretty significantly beating those odds if a three player class with no ranked players wound up being better than Penn or Harvard's. Doesn't mean it can't happen, just means that historically it hasn't.

mountainred 
Masters Student

01-20-12 12:12 PM - Post#117736    
    In response to mrjames

I did say "probably not."

Mike, can you link your research easily? I'm curious about your results. I've always been highly skeptical about recruiting services, thinking they were more marketing than fact, but I'm willing to be convinced.

mrjames 
Professor

01-20-12 02:40 PM - Post#117748    

No problem.

http://ivybasketball.blogspot.com/2011/10/great-un...

I also have the Excel backup data, if need be. PM me for my e-mail if you want to take a look at that, and I'll see if I can find where I put it.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

01-20-12 05:24 PM - Post#117756    
    In response to mrjames

I too root for most, but not all Ivies. Cornell's run was a real thrill at the end of the season when it went to the big dance and did well, even though the earlier Lion losses to them were painful. What I loved most, just as a basketball fan, was Foote's improvement each year. I'm not sure I can remember any player making as big an improvement year to year to year.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
1-1 (but progress, I think)
01-20-12 05:41 PM - Post#117757    

• mountainred Said:
And another Cornell thread turns into a discussion of BRF, even though he never made an appearance. {sigh}

As for Cornell's recuring class, it looks solid. Better than what Penn or Harvard are bringing in, who knows? Probably not, but ask me in four years after we know if Bunce is the elusive stud center or not.

Sorry that's my bad... I just noticed the post had been taken down and mentioned it so I opened up the can of worms.

That said, I do think Cornell has some interesting pieces this year and is getting a 6'11" kid next year that fills a big need (and who Penn recruited too). I like what Penn is doing in recruiting, Harvard has the most hoopla, Yale and Brown seem to be getting quality kids, and even Dartmouth is looking up. Princeton and Columbia are wildcards right now as their 2012 classes aren't as strong on paper, but that's based on recruiting experts and only time will tell for sure. There are a lot of unknowns but the next few years could be very interesting.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.348 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:33 AM