Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Siena        (Topic#12898)
LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
01-19-12 10:59 PM - Post#117674    

As I said previously and Walker came around, I would retract my statements.

He didn't have the strongest of first halves.. but whether he was just lucky or actually was in the right place, his hands were very active on D.. and he created some turnovers. He still didn't do what I think he was capable of but it was a big big improvement.

Winbush had himself a nice game as well though so I'd still like to see him get a little more minutes.

All that aside though, awesome comeback. Didn't realize until Loyola posted it on twitter that we went on a 22-2 run. I knew we came down from behind and extended the lead nicely, just didn't realize it was that much.

Impressive defensive play all around.

Only thing that worries me is our ineptitude with trying to break down the 2-3 zone. Even when we extended our lead, I thought the zone was giving us issues. Worried teams will watch film on that and throw the zone at us more often. If Olsen and Cormier hit their 3's like they did tonight, they'll bail us out, but if they don't make them, I worry we won't know how to break the zone besides shooting 3's.

Nice win though, really feels good to beat Siena even though they aren't as good anymore.

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
01-20-12 09:34 AM - Post#117709    
    In response to LoCo2011

siena ran out of gas, we made a few big shots when we were down 47-40, OD for them is really good, guards made them key threes, winbush good first half

Bang Bang 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-03-07
01-20-12 10:37 AM - Post#117715    
    In response to maacballer

I only caught the second half, but I had a close eye on Shane. He did okay, I agree defensively he seemed to be active and took some good charges. I also liked how he was trying to post up deep -- even if he didn't try to go up with it, he shifted that zone and was able to kick it back out sometimes. Winbush stepped up too, glad to see him on the offensive boards doing some dirty work. Siena had two big guys who could post up hard, and when it was just Etherly and Walker, Walker was overmatched defensively. I like him playing the 3, his length affects them. But we have a great depth this year, with Drummond, Winbush, and Latham once he's healthy again. We just gassed them.

I can't say enough about Olsen's game -- he can flat out shoot and he gets hot. Cormier is tough too, I like when he's aggressive.

That 2-3 zone is our achilles heel right now, but at least last night I saw we were getting it to the high post some of the time. But still need improvement on our offensive sets there. Good win otherwise -- at least the 2nd half (heard we were cold the first half).

I also heard that Patsos' mentor - Gary Williams -- was in attendance. I wonder we he thought.

Bang Bang 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-03-07
01-20-12 10:39 AM - Post#117716    
    In response to maacballer

Oh and from the other post -- Downey on Siena, good shooter but he had 9 turnovers -- hurt his team. I think 3-4 of his to's came on our big run.

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
01-20-12 10:53 AM - Post#117719    
    In response to Bang Bang

Defense lacking in the first half. Too many dribble penetrations for easy dishes. For as slow a team as Sienna it was way too easy.
Thought jimmy could have given Hall a few minutes in the first half when we couldn't make a shot. He's a good option when the other guys are cold.
Cormier ran the point well tonight to give RJ a rest. Gives us 3 shooting guards in the game along with 2 guys down low to pick up the misses. I'd like to see Williams penetrate and dish more.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.595 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:04 AM