Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brown 79-77 at buzzer        (Topic#129)
brownbruin 
Freshman

Loc: Connecticut
Reg: 11-22-04
12-04-04 12:55 AM - Post#573    

Brown win with tenth of a second 79-77. Forte with 22 points all in the second half.

BrownAlum 
Freshman

Re: Brown 79-77 at buzzer
12-04-04 03:01 AM - Post#574    
    In response to brownbruin

I just got back from the game so here are some random thoughts:

- Things didn't look good going into the game with Huffman and Manhanga on the bench. The bench looked even worse due to the fact that the fancy sideline chairs had been stolen a few days ago and they were using rented chairs which looked like they were from someone's wedding.

- When Becker and Forte were in the game together Becker brought the ball up the floor, which is something Miller has apparently tried the last few games. It worked well. Becker handled it better than I thought and it is nice to have Jason catching the ball on the wing coming off some screens, it frees him up to shoot or to drive more than if he just brings the ball up himself. It might also save his legs a little bit.

- Jason didn't do much in the first half- 0 points, 0-2 from the field, 0-1 from 3, 2 asts.- but was awesome in the second- 22 points, 8-10, 4-6 from 3, 3 asts. With 5:23 left he went to line with Brown down 66-65. He hit both which were the first two of his 9 points down the stretch. I was impressed that he didn't force things too much and seemed to let the game come to him (not sure what that means but it sounds good).

- On the game winning play Forte drove and kicked it to Mcandrew for an open 3, he missed but Becker flew in from the wing and tipped it in just as I saw the light come on. It was very close but the Binghamton staff didn't argue at all.

- It looks like Miller likes MacDonald more than Flaherty and he is a better fit, especially when they run the motion offense. He moves well and can shoot pretty well, 2-5 from 3. He also had an excellent backdoor pass to Forte which tied the game at 77.

- On the floor down the stretch were Forte, Ruscoe, MacDonald, Becker and Mcandrew and the freshman did a good job under pressure. I assume that if Huffman was playing he would have been in there instead of Mcandrew.

- Rusoce had 14 of his 21 in the first half. He forced many shots (several of which went in) which seemed to upset Miller, but he played very well overall. I know he isn't a superstar but he can score and I love his instincts.

- Both teams shot the lights out. How often do you shoot 61% (66% in the second half), 47% from 3 and lose? Binghamton had the advantage inside but didn't exploit it very well. Their 7 footer only played 11 mins, he finished with only 2 fouls so I don't know what was going on there. Their two guards (Hailey and Heard) were excellent, they combined to shoot 14-35, Brown didn't have much of an answer for them.

- Overall I was very impressed with the Bears. Becker was better than I thought he would be and I like the freshman. None of them are superstars yet but they are all solid. I like MacDonald a lot, I think Jeppesen is more ready than Coulibaly and Daniels, and McAndrew will give them solid minutes which they really need with Huffman out.

brownbruin 
Freshman

12-04-04 03:14 AM - Post#575    
    In response to BrownAlum

Thanks for the observations, BrownAlum. Was Forte not moving well in the first half? Incredible turnaround for him in the second half. Any sense of what was going on with him in the first half? Happy to see Becker get the winning shot - he's had a pretty rough start, shooting-wise, this year. Is there any word how long before Huffman returns?

BrownAlum 
Freshman

12-04-04 04:03 AM - Post#576    

Huffman came back out on the court after the game to work out a bit. He wasn't going particulalrly hard but he seemed to be moving ok. I heard someone say perhaps he could play next week but since there is a long layoff after Wednesday they might just keep him out and let him heal completely .

I'm not sure what it was with Forte early. I think he is more aware of not forcing things right now so he was a bit tentative in the first half. As I said he didn't force things much tonight so he just kept the ball moving to others. Also Rusoce was hot so he became the focus for awhile. Wish I had a better answer but it just seemed like that was the way the game was flowing.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-04-04 02:43 PM - Post#577    
    In response to BrownAlum

If I can chip in, I think B's defense of Forte was more effective in the first half. Jason was bring the ball up and playing the point; BA's observation about Miller's having Becker bring the ball up opened up a lot of things for Jason, but so did Luke's scoring in the first half. B was forced to pay him more attention. I don't think we will see much of Huffman on Mon. but Sam should be back. Not sure whether Eads can play against Holy Cross. He will help in the mix up-front.

brownbruin 
Freshman

12-04-04 03:15 PM - Post#578    
    In response to Old Bear

Has anyone who has seen Eads play offer some observations about his game? Is he merely a big body or is he someone who can provide some offense down low?

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-04-04 05:06 PM - Post#579    

First off, what a great writeup of the game! Thanks BrownAlum.

I don't know anything about Eads, other than the fact that he can't join the team until next semester.

Great win for Brown - Binghamton beat Sam Houston State handily (who beat Brown pretty convincingly too), and was a terrific way to start up at home.

I only listened to the last few minutes of the game, but was happy to see Jason driving and either hitting layups or dishing. Great stuff.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-04-04 06:56 PM - Post#580    

Eads played some as a Frosh (2 yrs. ago) mostly as a thin 4-5 physically somewhat like MacDonald without the 3 pt. range. He seems to have come back from his mission with an older, bigger, more mature body. He's bigger and stronger than MacDonald and, I think more mobile than Flaherty. I don't think we can expect a major uptick in inside scoring but he should help immediately on the boards and on defence.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.186 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:24 AM