Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 4 ALL1234
Username Post: J-Lin        (Topic#13023)
TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
02-04-12 11:08 PM - Post#119446    

Player of the game tonight. Team was flat until he came into the game and took it over.

25 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, only 1 turnover. He's the Knicks PG at this point. I don't see him giving it up anytime soon.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
02-04-12 11:30 PM - Post#119450    
    In response to TheLine

I just saw ESPN's NBA frontpage -- "Lin As In Win." Haha! That is awesome. He really deserves it after his monster night.

TheLine 
Professor

02-04-12 11:54 PM - Post#119453    
    In response to gokinsmen

Postgame quotes were interesting.

D'Antoni when asked about Lin's playing time in the coming games : "We're going back to that well."

Some genius asked D'Antoni if he has reservations playing Lin against better PGs (guess this guy didn't notice who the Nets PG is): "No. Deron Williams is a pretty good player."

Tyson Chandler: "Lin has been beating the other guards in practice. Coach didn't have a choice but to play him."

Lin seems genuinely liked by his teammates. Plus the Knicks don't have anyone else who can really play PG (well, maybe Baron Davis if/when he is ever healthy). The door's open for major minutes going forward.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 01-06-11
02-05-12 01:46 AM - Post#119460    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
Postgame quotes were interesting.

D'Antoni when asked about Lin's playing time in the coming games : "We're going back to that well."

Some genius asked D'Antoni if he has reservations playing Lin against better PGs (guess this guy didn't notice who the Nets PG is): "No. Deron Williams is a pretty good player."

Tyson Chandler: "Lin has been beating the other guards in practice. Coach didn't have a choice but to play him."

Lin seems genuinely liked by his teammates. Plus the Knicks don't have anyone else who can really play PG (well, maybe Baron Davis if/when he is ever healthy). The door's open for major minutes going forward.

Really interesting quotes. Thanks for those.

I think with all the "pressure" building up from prior press comments, etc. and perhaps some credible practice play, coach said, "What the hell, let's give it a try." With the Knicks' dismal recent record, one of two things would happen:

1. Lin flames out and then Coach D’Antoni gets the critics off his back, or

2. Lin does well, and he's got a reliable (back up) point guard.

I don’t follow the Knicks closely, but it seems to me that they need a PG who can feed their 3 stars, Carmelo, Amare and Chandler, and run the pick & roll. If he's also a credible threat to drive to the hoop, so much the better, when he draws a defender and gives one of the open stars an open shot. With this 25 point outing, opponents now know Lin can score, and so Lin may be the perfect "non-star" to feed the Big 3 the ball and help build their stats concurrently.

As a Harvard alum and Ivy fan, I’d love to see JLin be a roaring success, and at the same time, I think the real test will be when JLin gets more minutes consistently and he’s no longer a surprise to opposing PGs.

P.S. I note how he's applauding his teammates, e.g. Chandler, on their baskets. Important not just to feed the stars the ball, but also their egos, right?

H78 
PhD Student
H78
02-05-12 02:16 AM - Post#119461    
    In response to H78

"Amare on Lin: 'What the.....?'"
February, 5, 2012, 12:58 AM ET
By Ian Begley

"Funny moment in the Knicks' post-game locker room on Saturday.

Usually, when Jeremy Lin walks into the locker room, no one bats an eye lash.

But after his breakout performance on Saturday night, every media member wanted to talk to him.

As soon as the unassuming 23-year-old walked into the locker room, Landry Fields shouted, 'There he is everybody, it's Jeremy Lin!'

Amare Stoudemire walked in and was shocked to see about 30 media members converged around Lin's locker room, which is directly to the right of his.

'What the....?' Stoudemire said. 'I'm not used to this guys.'"

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
02-05-12 07:42 AM - Post#119465    
    In response to H78

NY Daily News article and photo---Lin taking it to Deron Williams:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/kni ck...

TheLine 
Professor

02-05-12 10:10 AM - Post#119471    
    In response to H78

H78, your comments are all on the mark. The Knicks desperately need a PG who can pick and roll. Lin still has some work to do in that regard - for example, his outside shooting has been spotty at best - but at least Lin can play point, unlike Shumpert, Douglas and the dessicated remains of Bibby.

Lin and Chandler have very good chemistry. There were a couple of alley-oops the two executed to perfection. Post game Chandler was incredibly complimentary of Lin's play.

Lin and Stoudemire have some work to do with their chemistry - it wasn't bad but wasn't as crisp as Lin-Chandler. Stoudemire really needs a pick and roll PG - the Knicks havent had one since Felton was traded - so you could see Stoudemire's excitement that maybe there was someone on the team who could feed him the ball.

Right after the game Carmelo made it a point to place Lin right in the middle of the team's celebratory huddle. It was a nice gesture.

As a lifelong Knick fan last night's game got me excited. It has been painfully clear that the Knicks need a true point. Assuming Baron Davis is back with the team soon, a Davis-Lin tandem should be enough to turn the season around.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
02-05-12 11:25 AM - Post#119480    
    In response to TheLine

Not a fan of the fact that J-Lin brought Harvard's program back. But I have to be a fan of J-Lin representing the league and being a completely non-stereotypical NBA player.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
02-05-12 03:04 PM - Post#119499    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
NY Daily News article and photo---Lin taking it to Deron Williams:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/kni ck...

Really good article. I particularly like this quote:

"'Down the stretch I didn’t do a good job of containing Jeremy Lin,' Williams said.

That’s something we thought we’d never hear."

Penn94 
PhD Student

Loc: Dallas, Texas
02-06-12 11:35 AM - Post#119582    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
Post game Chandler was incredibly complimentary of Lin's play.

Lin and Stoudemire have some work to do with their chemistry - it wasn't bad but wasn't as crisp as Lin-Chandler.

Remember Lin had a nice run with the Mavs in the preseason last year, with Chandler as his teammate, so Chandler has seen more of Lin than others to know what he can bring to the table.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
02-07-12 10:47 PM - Post#119701    
    In response to Penn94

Another lifelong Knicks fan here. As I said elsewhere, never in my life did I expect that an NBA team would start a guy from Stanford and a guy from Harvard in the same backcourt.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
02-08-12 12:51 AM - Post#119709    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Yep. They're saying the Knicks have the highest SAT-scoring backcourt in the NBA.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
Rap Song about JLin
02-08-12 02:11 PM - Post#119739    
    In response to H78

New rap song about Jeremy Lin .

According to Andrew Van Nest:
"You Have officially made it when you get a terrible rap song about you.. Congrats @JLin7"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKlybeGKeCU

P.S. Just heard about new nickname... "Yellow Mamba". Ha!

palestra38 
Professor

Re: ap Song about JLin
02-08-12 08:54 PM - Post#119772    
    In response to H78

Hysterical article about Lin..."He has his own couch!"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-l ie/je...

TheLine 
Professor

02-08-12 09:18 PM - Post#119774    
    In response to palestra38

This adds context to Lin's comment after his Saturday night star turn that he slept on Landry Fields' couch Friday because he didn't have a place to sleep that night.

Looking like yet another good game tonight.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
02-08-12 10:36 PM - Post#119795    
    In response to TheLine

This is getting hilarious now: Lin finishes with a double-double tonight, as the Knicks play without both Stoudemire and Anthony. According to Breen & Frazier on the Knicks broadcast, when Lin started against Utah Monday he was the first player since Isiah Thomas to finish with 25 points & 8 assists in their first NBA start. And with his performance tonight he's the first player to have better than 20 points and 8 assists in his first two starts since ... LeBron.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

02-08-12 10:41 PM - Post#119796    
    In response to Chip Bayers

It really is amazing. And he's fun to watch, too. Even threw down a dunk tonight!

The competition may not be great, but that's offset by the fact that he's doing it without Stoudemire or Melo in the lineup. And the point guards he's going up against -- Deron Williams, John Wall (Summer League rematch) -- those are primo talents. It's not like the Knicks are winning in spite of him (a la Tebow), they're winning because of him.

Penn94 
PhD Student

Loc: Dallas, Texas
02-08-12 10:47 PM - Post#119797    
    In response to gokinsmen

Bravo to Lin, but it's amazing what happens when offensive-flow stoppers like Melo and Amare are out of the game. The Knicks with Lin actually look like they have plays and an identity on offense!

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

J-Lin
02-08-12 10:52 PM - Post#119799    
    In response to Penn94

BTW, someone on YouTube already put up the dunk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyIfsHb4tuI

Holy moly.

TheLine 
Professor

02-09-12 10:24 AM - Post#119836    
    In response to Penn94

• Penn94 Said:
Bravo to Lin, but it's amazing what happens when offensive-flow stoppers like Melo and Amare are out of the game. The Knicks with Lin actually look like they have plays and an identity on offense!

Melo is an offensive-flow stopper but Amare just needs a pick-and-roll PG - which he hasn't had since Felton was traded. I have no concerns about how Amare will fit with Lin. It'll be interesting how Melo reacts.

Lin has amazing court vision - a couple of his assists to Chandler last night were brilliant. That coupled with his forceful penetration move make him difficult to defend. The smarter teams will realize he doesn't have an NBA quality outside shot and lay off him, which will negate his game somewhat. He's still better than a number of starting PGs in the league and miles better than anyone the Knicks have thrown out there to date.

Page 1 of 4 ALL1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.687 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:07 AM