Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 1 of 4 1234
Username Post: Iona at home        (Topic#13028)
Bang Bang 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-03-07
02-06-12 10:58 AM - Post#119575    

This is a huge home game for us, perhaps the biggest in Reitz's history. I didn't get to see our game at Iona a couple weeks ago, and I'm wondering what we need to do to get that win. Looking at Iona's two conference losses against Manhattan and Siena, they were up at 17 and 18 points late in the second half but blew their leads. We were actually up at halftime at Iona but lost our lead on a second-half Iona run in which they scored efficiently. Glover and Momo Jones dominated offensively, as they have basically all year.

Has anyone seen Iona enough to know what our strategy should be? We seem to size up evenly with them.

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
02-06-12 11:22 AM - Post#119580    
    In response to Bang Bang

Haven't seen them play too much.. but I'd say we need to kind of admit to ourselves that Momo and Glover are going to score. We just need to make sure Momo doesn't go off for 43 like he did recently.

RJ Williams playing defense on Machado (if he gets the chance) will be huge for us.. We need a guy quick like him to guard him, not sure Cormier is sound enough defensively to do it for the whole game.. so should definitely be a mix of those 2.

Glover is absolutely going to have to be a rotational system. I think Latham size wise will be huge for us. Walker needs to play like a big man, which has been a problem this year.. but better as of late. Etherly as well. Hell, we could even throw Brooks in there to pick up a couple cheap fouls on him just to prevent some shots... pretty sure Glover is terrible from the line, almost to the point that some teams have employed a "hack-a-shaq" mentality to him.

Momo Jones is going to score... absolutely. But he's been prone to taking some bad shots and sometimes can become ridiculously selfish and jack up poor shots. Gotta think this is strictly Olson's man.. and then I guess Drummond if he comes on for him or Cormier when both Dylon and RJ are on the court.

All that being said, they are not a good defensive team at all. Gave up 85 points to Canisius (who I really think is approaching one of the worst teams in division 1 status) Not sure we are high-powered enough to get in to a shootout with them.. but if we can keep the game in the 70s or even the 80s... I think we can win this. If it gets in to high 80s or even 90s (Iona puts up some serious points) we won't be able to hang.

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
Re: Iona at home
02-06-12 11:55 AM - Post#119584    
    In response to Bang Bang

went to the Iona game, we were ahead at halftime and with 4 mins to go in the game it was a five point game, at home it should be better for Loy, they have a deep offensive team, we are bigger than them, we beat them last year at home with Josh guarding Glover, so with Latham and Walker we should win

LoCo2011 
Senior

02-06-12 12:06 PM - Post#119586    
    In response to maacballer

this is a completely different team than last year.. to expect a win, is just not being logical. It'll be tough. You can not just forget to mention Momo Jones... he was one of Zona's best players last year for a reason, it wasn't one of those transfer away from the big school because he couldn't cut it situations, he was the second leading scorer and would've been the best returning player this year.

Winning last year means nothing. Iona is a completely different team.. both Glover and Machado are so much better than they were last year.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
02-06-12 12:33 PM - Post#119587    
    In response to LoCo2011

Alot of teams get in trouble by trying to double Glover which ultimately leaves Machado and Momo open. Personally I would like us to play straight up against Glover and rotate our big men. He will get his but we need to shut down the perimeter. If we can make them take contested twos instead of open 3s I like our chances. The crowd needs to be a huge factor Friday. If we want to win the regular season title we need a win here but Sunday's game against Fairfield is just as important.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

MacDog 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-21-06
02-07-12 09:36 AM - Post#119646    
    In response to loco09

Whether we can keep them off the offensive glass will tell the difference. Need to limit second chance points.

maacballer 
Sophomore

02-07-12 10:50 AM - Post#119648    
    In response to LoCo2011

remember LAtham didnt play first game, he can spell walker winbush etherly, may help slow glover down

Bang Bang 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-03-07
02-07-12 11:51 AM - Post#119654    

Yeah, I was thinking that we didn't have Latham in that first game. Big body that should really help with containing Glover a bit downlow, at least get him tired. Against Rider, Latham picked up a couple touch fouls, but with Walker, Etherly, Latham and Brooks rotating on Glover, we should be alright with that. I agree with macdog, we need to clean up on the defensive boards. Keep Momo out on the perimeter too and hope he forces a bunch of bad shots.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
02-07-12 01:03 PM - Post#119661    
    In response to Bang Bang

I am really excited to see how well this team plays Defense. It's amazing how good you can be at this level when you can make stops and force turnovers.

Greyhound21 
Freshman

Reg: 02-07-12
Iona at home
02-07-12 01:19 PM - Post#119663    
    In response to LoCo2011

We got out scored in the paint 36-20 against Iona earlier this year so stopping Glover is going to be a main focus but what that stat doesn't tell you is that some of those points were in transition (not fast break points) but early offense that were dunks and layups.

Olson can't get in foul trouble and Drummond can't go 5-14 if we want to score enough points to win. Biggest defensive match up is going to be who Winbush guards and I think it is going to be Machado when Williams is out of the game. Likely going to see a lot of 2-3 zone too because Loyola's length bothered Iona last time out.

If Loyola gets some easy baskets and the crowd gets going it should be a great game... As mentioned above, this is the biggest game in program history as a D1 program.

Edited by Greyhound21 on 02-07-12 01:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Opie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-12-07
02-07-12 07:40 PM - Post#119689    
    In response to Greyhound21

I stopped by the ticket office today and was told that they are completely sold out for Friday.

LoCo2011 
Senior

02-07-12 07:52 PM - Post#119691    
    In response to Opie

These sell-outs are great.. and I'm real happy for the program that they are happening but I just hope athletics is smart about it.

I know Rider was a sell-out but there were definitely seats to be had in that arena last Friday... I get that you have some people with season tickets that don't end up going and you can't control that.. but I'm a little worried about them proclaiming how sold out this game is.. especially if it actually isn't. Gotta open seats back up if at all possible once it gets closer to tip and if they notice that there will be seats.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
02-07-12 08:13 PM - Post#119692    
    In response to LoCo2011

They said there is a chance for a few tickets to open up an hour before tip so they are taking strides to make sure it really is a sell-out. They also sent out an email to alumni that said tickets to Sunday's game against Fairfield are already running low. It would be great to sell out three straight home games, which I'm sure has never happened before. Of course it will pointless if the team comes out and falls flat.

maacballer 
Sophomore

02-07-12 10:31 PM - Post#119700    
    In response to loco09

may lose but won't be flat

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
02-08-12 10:31 AM - Post#119722    

This just emphasizes the point that if the team wins people will go.

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
02-08-12 10:52 AM - Post#119723    
    In response to jdubs

From ESPN.com Mid-Major Report:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story/_...

Five games you don't want to miss

Iona at Loyola (Md.) (ESPNU, 7 p.m. ET, Friday): The top teams in the MAAC entered the week with 11-2 records in conference play and face off for the second time this season. Iona (83.3 ppg, third in the country) has won four in a row. Loyola (Md.) has won six straight. And the Greyhounds possess the league's top scoring defense (58.9 ppg). Can they stall Iona's high-scoring offense? They couldn't in the first meeting.

LoCo2011 
Senior

Iona at home
02-08-12 11:48 AM - Post#119727    
    In response to jdubs

• jdubs Said:
This just emphasizes the point that if the team wins people will go.

Ha. I remember the days.... (not that I'm even the oldest member from around here, in terms of years posting (only around 5 for me) not actual age; although I'm one of the younger ones in terms of age too)..... from when I would be having a conversation with loco09 and that was pretty much it.

We'd have games just completely not even get mentioned on here, now we have posters coming from all over the place to post on this forum ha.

Still, with a team like Loyola, I don't mind the bandwagon fans... awesome to see a packed Reitz and to have an actual debate about Loyola basketball on here.

Edited by LoCo2011 on 02-08-12 11:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
02-08-12 06:27 PM - Post#119753    
    In response to LoCo2011

Yeah I remember those days a few years back when there were about three of us that would post. I would love for more people to become involved with the board. bandwagon fans or not it would make the discussion more fun. When was the last time we had a game thread with almost 20 posts 3 days before the game. Lets just hope some of these "bandwagon" fans stick around. It would be amazing for the school for us to make a postseason tourney. CBI/CIT excluded.

I know the MAAC is down some this year but still we have a legit chance of a 20 win season, our best MAAC record ever, winning the MAAC regular season and/or tourney, outside chance at NIT invite if we fall in the tourney. Thats a great list of accomplishments and would really allow Loyola to become Baltimore's college team with everyone else struggling.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
02-08-12 06:37 PM - Post#119754    
    In response to loco09

If we get to 23 wins and finish in 2nd place in the MAAC, I believe we will get an NIT spot, especially if Iona wins the tourney.

Also, keep in mind that the regular season MAAC champ gets an automatic bid to the NIT if they do not qualify for the big dance.

maacballer 
Sophomore

02-08-12 06:53 PM - Post#119755    
    In response to jdp 94

one game at a time, we must win friday

Page 1 of 4 1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.202 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:27 AM