Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Iona at home        (Topic#13028)
Doc89 
Freshman

Reg: 01-22-10
02-09-12 04:32 PM - Post#119889    
    In response to WOFM

Only thing close to sell-outs in my days at Reitz (85-89) only happened when Mt St Mary's came to town.
Great to see back to back sell outs and Fairfield on Sunday close to a sell-out.
Huge weekend for the Hounds

Opie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-12-07
02-09-12 05:08 PM - Post#119893    
    In response to Doc89

I will describe 3 levels of Greyhound basketball excitement that I experience.

Level 1 would be a typical year where I'm hopeful that maybe a magic run occurs during the MAAC championships like it did in 1994. There is always that hope, but not usually any level of expectations.

Level 2 would be if we made the NIT. If the first round game were close (home, or in MD, PA, or VA), I'd almost certainly go. If we get into the NIT this year and end up going to College Park, I'd go with a sense of pride knowing that we have a higher RPI than Maryland and we would have a legit chance to beat Maryland. That would be a pretty high level of excitement on my part for getting into the NIT. Getting into the NIT would cap off a fantastic year for Loyola hoops.

Level 3 would be my level of excitement should Loyola qualify for the Big Dance, the NCAA tournament. I've already looked up the 8 first round locations: Portland (OR), Albuquerque, Omaha, Nashville, Louisville, Pittsburg, Columbus (OH), or Greensboro. I would either fly or drive to ANY of those locations to cheer on the Hounds. I think we are good enough we'd avoid the play-in game.

Yes, I know I am getting WAY ahead of myself by looking up locations. I'm just pointing out that this year I'm already anticipating either very good Level 2 or GREAT Level 3 excitement, which is way beyond the typical Level 1 excitement I usually have for Greyhound basketball.

Greyhound21 
Freshman

Reg: 02-07-12
02-09-12 06:14 PM - Post#119904    
    In response to WOFM

The talk on the team is about hanging a banner in Reitz and they are talking about a NCAA banner.

That said the post season (NIT) is a great step And I would agree that winning a couple of games if that is where they end up is awesome for the program and will be great experience for next season.

It's funny you mentioned that stadium because it was '99 when Joe Boylan pulled me into his office and showed me the blue prints of that place and said that by 2003 we will be playing there. Let's hope all the renovations/upgrades to Reitz being talked about don't take that long...

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
02-09-12 06:31 PM - Post#119908    
    In response to Greyhound21

Always have to think NCAA tourney first but as said numerous times the NIT would be a very nice consolation prize. Hell I would even settle for CIT or CBI if we have to.

Any word if the Fairfield game is close to selling out? If we could get the sweep this weekend we will be in great position heading into the tourney.

Greyhound21 what renovations/upgrades to Reitz are being discussed? I've only heard about replacing the scoreboards
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
02-09-12 07:25 PM - Post#119915    
    In response to loco09

Got an email when I got home today saying the boys game on Sunday was sold out to the general public. Nice to see that game at 4pm instead of noon. Great to see it sold out
Who sets the Sunday game times? I see we are playing BU at noon and I don't know why if it's our call we can't make it later to get more fans.
BTW...Fairfield plays Manhattan tonight. Root for the stags

Greyhound21 
Freshman

Reg: 02-07-12
02-09-12 07:46 PM - Post#119917    
    In response to loco09

Well the talks of the scoreboards are def. a priority and a video replay board as well but they need a donation to get that done. They are likely going to add a second row of courtside seats and there are talks (and they are just talks) about how they can expand Reitz to include concessions and a main entrance that leads in from outside.

The idea being kicked around most is expanding out the green emergency exit doors behind the south basket but again just conversation right now.

I imagine we are a few years away from them even putting that project on the books.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
02-09-12 08:00 PM - Post#119918    
    In response to Greyhound21

It would be nice to expand Reitz somehow and make a true entrance with a box office actually by the arena and some decent concessions and maybe a booth to sell Loyola merchandise. I know they talked about blowing out the wall (the emergency exit doors) and expanding out that way. But I agree its probably a few years off.

I dont think we have ever had three straight sell outs or three sell outs in one season for that matter. I'm ready for this game to start now. I guess I can watch some St. Peters vs Marist on ESPN3 to get my maac hoops fix.

Nino 
Freshman

Reg: 09-26-09
02-09-12 11:54 PM - Post#119926    
    In response to loco09

I watch this board all the time and purposely keep a low profile. I try to only add comments that are helpful or thought provoking. Most of you are much better analysts than I could ever hope to be. It sounds like your Loyola education has paid off - outstanding critical thinking and commentary (JDP in particular comes to mind).

This year is exceptionally cool for me (personally) because, after playing for Loyola, then supporting the team for 32 yrs., and being completely immersed in the program for the last 8, I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. I truly don't know how to deal with it. And it feels awesome.

Whatever the outcome this year, let's enjoy what we've accomplished. Take pride that we finally are packing our gym. Cherish a team that is evenly talented, deep and made up of Loyola quality student-athletes. Celebrate a coach that has done more for the program than any of our other D1 coaches (please Prosser fans, remember Skip won 3 games in a row to get in the NCAA - yes he was a great coach, but 1 yr. didn't give him time to change Loyola BBall fundamentally - Jimmy has).

OK - enough gushiness. Back to curmudgeon-ieness. My real comfort zone.

In response to all the "new arena" discussions, I am SO jaded on this for one very basic, simple and downright elementary issue. In Reitz ... where's the trophy case? Or Hall of Fame wall? Or area where we honor our past outstanding players? There's plenty of them over the decades. Just a few who come to mind over the generations: Paul Dodd, Gene Gwyzdowski, Rodney Floyd, Morris Cannon, Bobby Riley, Jack Vogt, Tim Koch, Mark DiGiacomo, Tommy Caraher, Tracy Bergan, Kevin Green, Blanchard Hurd, Mike Tuck, Andre Collins, Gerald Brown, Marquis Sullivan and many more. No where do we display or celebrate their accomplishments. We have a few jerseys hanging from the rafters, and a rug with 1000 pt. scorers listed - but that's it.

For those of you who don't know me, this isn't self serving - my stats would never get me in a trophy case ... but I would love for my friends and teammates who deserve it, to be able to see a memorial about their accomplishments.

Go over to the Ridley Complex and they must have 10 trophy cases for lacrosse and soccer. But for our "most high profile national sport" we have dick.

I tell my kids "actions speak louder than words". If I follow this precept for the way basketball is celebrated at Loyola, than I must conclude its not perceived as important as the other sports. Conspiracy? Where's our grassy knoll?

Until I see this, all the "arena crap" is just that.

Boy, I feel better now that I was cranky. [thanks for the rant]

Cheers,
Nino

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
02-10-12 01:26 AM - Post#119934    
    In response to Nino

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but Nino brings up some very good points. The irony here is if this level of excitement can be sustained, the administration is going to have to make a lot of big decisions about where and what they want this program to be.

I am still not sold on JP as an in-game coach (it seems D’Alessio is making the difference there?), but have to give him credit for starting some real momentum to getting this program to where many of us want it to be.

But what’s next? To me, if they don’t follow thru, you run the risk of reverting back to the same old same old.

Much like with the name change, you’ve got to hope someone has an achievable end game in mind.

But for now, I say let’s enjoy the ride this year and save this debate for later….

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
02-10-12 08:37 AM - Post#119946    
    In response to WOFM

awesome comments, let's enjoy the ride!

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
02-10-12 11:14 AM - Post#119965    
    In response to maacballer

I may have questions about Patsos' in game decisions but he certainly has proven that he has the programs best interests. I'm confident that he will keep advancing the program in terms of facilities and exposure. The addition of all these local players will help with the local fan base. Money is the obvious ingredient needed and with winning comes money. UA sponsorship is huge for all Loyola sports and basketball can be thanked for that. In the short time since he's been here it seems Paquette gets it and hopefully he can help Patsos continue to improve this program. A better basketball team and national exposure is just going to help the rest of the sports.

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
02-10-12 10:18 PM - Post#120110    

We win!!!!!!!
Great game
Took their best shot and came out on top

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
02-10-12 10:21 PM - Post#120112    
    In response to Rick

Almost blew a 25 pt lead but a great win nonetheless. This should really help us for a possible postseason position. Etherly, Cormier, and Olson really stepped up. A great win in front of a great crowd. Lets do it again on Sunday.

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
02-10-12 11:09 PM - Post#120120    
    In response to loco09

That was a beautiful 1st half... and after watching said 1st half, that was the 2nd half I knew to expect... still these are games we lose in years past.. and we just aren't losing them.

A win against Fairfield really puts us in a great position. Hard to believe it but Shane Walker fouling out made the difference tonight.. also a little confused why Latham saw so little minutes in the 2nd half.. he seemed to give Glover the hardest time down low or just seemed to eat up Winbush and Etherly for a good 2 to 3 minute stretch

WOFM 
Freshman

02-11-12 12:07 PM - Post#120163    
    In response to LoCo2011

It’s not often a team with a 25 point second half lead gets to also learn a few lessons about closing out games!

But it seems all teams try to take the “air out of the ball” with big second half leads and I always hate that. You get a big lead playing one way and you decide to change? I’ve never liked that, but JP was simply doing what the coach’s manual says to do.

I actually thought Walker had a decent game overall. Latham was solid too but he looked like Walker when he was jumping early just trying to block shots.

But that first half was impressive, especially given how Etherly started off with that first brutal miss. It was also impressive the way Etherly played after that – when he converts in close, he can dominate a game.

Great effort by everyone and I guess we now all walk on eggshells waiting to see how they follow up this game tomorrow. Here’s hoping they come out with the same determination and energy.

Was anyone at the game? I am curious about the crowd noise – on TV, they seemed relatively quiet except in spurts, I hope that’s just because of the acoustics at Reitz and that the actual noise in the bldg was more persistent than what came across during the broadcast?

Scott 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-25-06
02-11-12 12:39 PM - Post#120175    
    In response to WOFM

Before getting too excited over sellouts, remember that the capacity of Reitz was lowered from 3,000 (however the attendabce record is actually a little more than that) to approx 2,100. I'd think that they'd want to expand the capacity back to 3,000 if the current demand for tickets lasts for another year or two.

maacballer 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-23-11
02-11-12 01:07 PM - Post#120179    
    In response to WOFM

was there, it was loud, espn guys are on alumini side, was a good atmosphere

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
02-11-12 01:48 PM - Post#120187    

was loud definitely especially in the first half... 2nd half definitely died down, but I don't know if this is true but from my experience, that's when the drunkness from being in the student section would really start to die down and it's tough to get up unless the action is exciting... having Iona scarily mount a comeback definitely helped to quiet down the crowd a lot too.

But the 1st half was electric, awesome to be at, sad I graduated one year early and missed out on the festivities.

Agree with the expanded seating... but again, this is our first success for awhile, I think we need 2 to 3 years of sustained ATTENDANCE success before we start expanding it back.

The biggest thing with Reitz that I only started to notice sitting on the community side is that the stairs row on the student section side (and I guess community side too) really mess up with what the atmosphere could be... you have either 5 or 7 stair rows, can't remember off the top of my head that really split up the sections.. I think reducing that down to 4.. 2 on the end and 2 in the middle.. would really help to create an intimidating atmosphere... just some food for thought.

This is awesome though, amazing to see the campus get as pumped up for this team, because this team certainly deserves this type of school spirit

WOFM 
Freshman

02-11-12 02:07 PM - Post#120190    
    In response to LoCo2011

• LoCo2011 Said:
I don't know if this is true but from my experience, that's when the drunkness from being in the student section would really start to die down and it's tough to get up unless the action is exciting... having Iona scarily mount a comeback definitely helped to quiet down the crowd a lot too.

That was my concern!

Not that that is a problem, but as you point out, that sort of "enthusiasm" is hard to sustain over 40 minutes.

As Iona made the comeback, that's when you really need a raucous home crowd. But, you have to have fans that know the game.

But first things first. As was mentioned earlier, lots of questions will have to be addressed IF this season's "buzz" can be sustained.

And we're a long way from that. But shoot, it took how many years to even get to this point? I’ve been to games where there are maybe 5 students in the stands, so the campus needs some time to adjust

Let’s hope the success continues, then it will be interesting to see what the decision-makers do next

rkelly_hounds98 
Junior

Reg: 09-15-06
02-11-12 06:11 PM - Post#120225    
    In response to WOFM

The Espn highlights show the Loyola Marymount logo, instead of ours, wtf. You would think the leader in college sports would know the difference since the colors aren't even close. Hopefully this team continues to gain the recognition they deserve. It's I small thing, but annoying nonetheless.
"-"

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.276 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:19 PM