Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Most Improved Player        (Topic#13138)
Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
02-20-12 11:08 AM - Post#121491    

Looking to the bright side after a tough week for the Bison. I'd like to nominate a consistent frontcourt performer as the YTD Most Improved Player for BU.....Joe Willman.

Not a lot of flash to his game but lots of solid, consistent play at both ends of the court. Here are "Jersey Joe's" stats YTD, with a couple of notes vs. last year:

10.5 avg PPG (vs. 7.6 last year)
53.8 FG% and 78.4% FT
45 assists vs. only 32 TO's (approx 1 per game)
14 blocks and 18 steals
Consistent defensive play with long arms and quick feet

I realize we are just coming into the home stretch but wanted to know if others have noticed the improved play by Willman, who is having an excellent year. In effect, he is the "Wing Man" to Muscala upfront.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
02-20-12 11:36 AM - Post#121498    
    In response to Doktore K

Doktore, not bad. Joe is a very solid player with flashes of all-league caliber play.

I would like to mention Ryan Hill as another option. He saw very little PT last year. Since around midseason, he has been the starting PG. That has to count for something.

Hill's play has not been spectacular, but it has been very consistent, and I think that he has the potential to continue to improve.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
02-20-12 11:45 AM - Post#121501    
    In response to Bison89

My only problem with that (JW most improved), is that it might imply that Joe was not so good to begin with. I think he was a key player last year. He has been the guy to get BU going, generally scoring the first few baskets, for two years now. Everybody remembers Muscala's "Laetner" play. Who threw him the ball?

As long as "most improved" does not imply "not so hot before" I'm down with it. Always loved the guy.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
02-20-12 12:21 PM - Post#121508    
    In response to bison63

Joe Willman has bee a fine player from day one.

This year, he has performed very well and at a higher level than his first two years. He has showed steady progress, and what stands out the most is that he has become more disciplined on defense...evidenced by fewer fould issues.

Most improved? Hard to say when he was already at a high level, but it would be a good choice.

Ryan Hill has shown improvement, too, but he has some upside work to do yet.

raybucknell12 
Freshman

Reg: 02-19-12
Re: Most Improved Player
02-20-12 03:52 PM - Post#121556    
    In response to Doktore K

You know who could get a mention for that, and I know this might be an unconventional thought, but Bryan Cohen. I remember last year when he touched the ball, it was almost a wasted offensive possession. My friends and I joked last year that they should play four on offense and just keep BC on the defensive end of the court, but all season long, he has defied all of that and put up some stellar offensive game (notwithstanding the last two). I agree that it should be JW, but BC definitely should get a look.

Bison1999 
Junior

Most Improved Player
02-20-12 08:45 PM - Post#121601    
    In response to raybucknell12

I agree with '63, insofar as Willman's delta year-over-year isn't large enough. He's been great this year; he's been merely really, really good in previous years.

My vote for most improved, among the regulars, goes to Ryan Hill. His OOC play was pretty awful but whatever he and DP have worked on, well, it worked. Plus, his improvement lets Ayers play the 2.

I can only hope that Kaspar wins this award next year.

Go Bison!

Edited by Bison1999 on 02-20-12 08:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
02-20-12 10:11 PM - Post#121609    
    In response to Bison1999

• Bison1999 Said:
I can only hope that Kaspar wins this award next year.

If he could just improve his FT shooting, he has LOTS of potential.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
02-20-12 10:37 PM - Post#121613    
    In response to Bison89

I think I'd go with Hill as most improved. As for JW, I might give him a different award, i.e. most underrated (along with BC). One big reason for JW's scoring and rebounding averages being up is that he's playing 27.5% more minutes this year than last year. Credit that to both the departure of GW Boon plus JW doing a better job of staying out of foul trouble, especially recently.

If the Bison win the last two games and end up in first place alone, I think JW has a shot at 2nd team All-PL.

Shot Clock 
Masters Student

Loc: Arlington VA
Reg: 01-27-06
02-21-12 11:30 AM - Post#121665    
    In response to Bison137

Definitely Willman. Our best PF since...?
B.A. Bucknell University, 1993

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
02-21-12 12:16 PM - Post#121673    
    In response to Shot Clock

• Shot Clock Said:

Donald Brown? DB was clearly better his senior year but likely was not as good as JW prior to that. If not DB, then you likely have to go back a lot of years - depending on who is classified as a PF.

Shot Clock 
Masters Student

Loc: Arlington VA
Reg: 01-27-06
02-21-12 03:43 PM - Post#121702    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • Shot Clock Said:

Donald Brown? DB was clearly better his senior year but likely was not as good as JW prior to that. If not DB, then you likely have to go back a lot of years - depending on who is classified as a PF.

I was thinking Patrick King myself, but I may have overlooked someone in the 90s.
B.A. Bucknell University, 1993

bison75 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-26-06
02-21-12 03:43 PM - Post#121703    
    In response to Bison137

I'll go with Ryan Hill. More year over year improvement.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
Most Improved Player
02-21-12 10:07 PM - Post#121737    
    In response to bison75

Darren Mastropolo was not a scorer, but he was highly appreciated by anyone who watches a basketball game closely as he did everything else. It would be a tough call which of the two I would prefer between JW and Mastro. Deffinately Willman in this system, but Mastro was a great fit for what those mid 2000's teams did setting screens , hitting the glass and playing tough D.
Ray Bucknell!

norcalfan 
Junior

Reg: 03-19-08
02-22-12 04:08 AM - Post#121753    
    In response to atlantabison

• atlantabison Said:

Darren Mastropolo was not a scorer, but he was highly appreciated by anyone who watches a basketball game closely as he did everything else. It would be a tough call which of the two I would prefer between JW and Mastro. Deffinately Willman in this system, but Mastro was a great fit for what those mid 2000's teams did setting screens , hitting the glass and playing tough D.

Cohen and Hill have my vote. Willman no.

Edited by norcalfan on 02-22-12 04:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
02-22-12 08:54 AM - Post#121759    
    In response to norcalfan

I think the most improved player would have been Andoh had he got a chance to play. Look at the little time he has has and the great stat line with it. Yes, it probably isn't statistically significant considering the low number of minutes he hes played, but that was coaches decision to put Muscala first, then Fitz, then Andoh as a mere afterthought on this team. kaspar cannot be most improved with his atrocious free throw percentage, and Coaches darling Brackney hasn't even been mentioned here, but they get their minutes. Hill must have worked his tail off to take the starting role from Kaspar so I give it to hill. As for Andoh, he should have played more.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

02-22-12 09:28 AM - Post#121762    
    In response to Paulie777

We have a good team that will probably win the Patriot League title and first round seeding in the tournament. We will probably receive a post-season bid in either the NCAA or NIT tournament. What if per chance there is a scenario where Muscala runs into foul trouble and Fitz gets his ankle tweaked and then in comes Andoh in a with his whole 58 minutes playing time for the season? Would he have a better chance if he played more, its not like some of these games are close. We're this good with a chance at the title with a few games left and some players don't even get minutes? Recent postings have musings on if Muscala is the best player ever, and even this thread has noted Willman is the best PF in a while. good questions, and their play have contributed largely to a very succesfull season. But it certainly won't hurt the team or their record or standing to play some of the guys that have been shuffled to the back of the bench. Primarily Andoh. Give the guy some minutes.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
02-22-12 09:49 AM - Post#121765    
    In response to Paulie777

Here's hoping that on Senior Day that Enoch gets some real minutes. His attitude that shows during games is outstanding, and he has looked pretty good when he gets on the floor other than being the first to greet a player leaving the game. There is an award for that, right?

But first, beat American so that coach feels comfortable playing him against Navy

bison63 
Postdoc

02-22-12 03:18 PM - Post#121787    
    In response to Bison54

DP has not, to date, paid much attention to senior day.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
02-22-12 04:37 PM - Post#121793    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:

Yes. I'm not sure he even knows it is Senior Day.

Having said that, there are circumstances where it's a tough call whether to start seniors who normally don't play.

- Fran O'Hanlon started all five of his seniors last week against Holy Cross in a crucial home game that was perhaps going to determine who got the home court edge in the first round of the PL tournament. By starting the seniors, that meant their best player, PG Tony Johnson, and their starting center were on the bench. The result is that LC immediately fell behind by 10-2. Ultimately they lost by seven and lost their shot at the home court.

- On Saturday, Holy Cross had Senior Day, with their chance to finish 3rd or 4th in the PL possibly on the line. Milan Brown opted not to start two of his seniors - one of whom is a walk-on guard who would have had to start in place of Justin Burrell. As we know, HC got off to an 8-2 lead with their regular lineup - with all 8 points being scored by players who likely would have opened the game on the bench.

Tough call in situations where the game really matters and figures to be really close.

nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
02-22-12 06:05 PM - Post#121795    
    In response to Bison137

Coach covered the Senior day issue today at the basketball luncheon at the LBG Hotel. He explained why he doesn't start Seniors and play them for a few minutes. Let's just say he will be starting the same five as the last fourteen games barring an injury from now until Sat. Ryan Hill would be my pick as most improved for this season. Let's get two more wins this week. Go Bison!

Paulie777 
PhD Student

02-22-12 09:57 PM - Post#121807    
    In response to nitlion

• nitlion Said:
He explained why he doesn't start Seniors and play them for a few minutes.

Is there any chance you could enlighten us? Or is that priviliged information?

nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
02-23-12 12:52 AM - Post#121820    
    In response to Paulie777

No real reason to go any further into an explanation. Nothing secret or priviledged as it was a public luncheon attended by about 40 people. I really don't want to be misquoted on his reasons. It is what it is just his past and present policy. If it seems to bother you or anyone that much, email the coach or call him and just ask him. I like Coach Paulsen and think he has been good for Bison basketball and I know for a fact this group of players like the direction this team has been going. If they are happy I have no reason not to feel good about the team.

norcalfan 
Junior

02-23-12 03:00 AM - Post#121822    
    In response to Paulie777

• Paulie777 Said:
I think the most improved player would have been Andoh had he got a chance to play. Look at the little time he has has and the great stat line with it. Yes, it probably isn't statistically significant considering the low number of minutes he hes played, but that was coaches decision to put Muscala first, then Fitz, then Andoh as a mere afterthought on this team. kaspar cannot be most improved with his atrocious free throw percentage, and Coaches darling Brackney hasn't even been mentioned here, but they get their minutes. Hill must have worked his tail off to take the starting role from Kaspar so I give it to hill. As for Andoh, he should have played more.

Well as you all know, I think the world of my boy Andoh. He may not have gotten the minutes, but he leaves BU with a great education and a free one at that. At the end of the day, that's what really matters. There can only be one or two stars on a team. What happens after basketball is what matters. Andoh enduring what Paulsen dished out, only makes him stronger. Good luck Enoch!

norcalfan 
Junior

02-23-12 03:07 AM - Post#121823    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:

If he does not give all the seniors some time, I will lose all respect for him. That's ridiculous! If he gets behind, then I can understand he needs to put in a line up to win, but he needs to think about his seniors!!!!

atlantabison 
PhD Student

02-23-12 08:37 AM - Post#121828    
    In response to norcalfan

• norcalfan Said:
  • bison63 Said:

If he does not give all the seniors some time, I will lose all respect for him. That's ridiculous! If he gets behind, then I can understand he needs to put in a line up to win, but he needs to think about his seniors!!!!

Then you shouldn't have respect for him now. It has been this way for all of his time coaching. It is a philosophy decision on his behalf that is different than the one I use on my senior night, but not one that would cause me to lose my respect for him. Don't let your love for a particular senior class cause you to expect a change on their behalf. If he didn't stick by his convictions, even those I disagree with, I would be more likely to lose respect for him.
Ray Bucknell!

PLHoopsFan 
Freshman

Reg: 02-28-11
02-23-12 02:18 PM - Post#121842    

Trust me... the seniors will all play a LOT on Saturday, as Bucknell will beat my hapless Navy team by 30-40 points. Count on it...

Hell, even Andoh will probably have a double-double. We suck.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

02-23-12 10:06 PM - Post#121886    
    In response to PLHoopsFan

• PLHoopsFan Said:
Trust me... the seniors will all play a LOT on Saturday, as Bucknell will beat my hapless Navy team by 30-40 points. Count on it...

Hell, even Andoh will probably have a double-double. We suck.

8 minutes left yesterday you had the #2 team in the league within 3 points.
Ray Bucknell!

PLHoopsFan 
Freshman

Reg: 02-28-11
02-24-12 09:34 AM - Post#121910    

Actually, it was 13 minutes left, and we were at home...

Trust me, Saturday will not be close. You should probably rest your starters and only win by 20.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.251 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:52 PM