Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Weak finish again- one and done in MAAC        (Topic#13168)
Doc89 
Freshman

Reg: 01-22-10
02-24-12 10:22 PM - Post#122117    

Walker 3 to win- wtf

why is the PG on the bench at the end of the game

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
Re: Weak finish again- one and done in MAAC
02-24-12 11:00 PM - Post#122123    
    In response to Doc89

Thought we played hard but Rider just didnt miss!
Didn't we have a timeout to use to set something up for the last play?
Agreed that walkers shot wasn't what they wanted
Beamon will have a monster game against us Sunday and we'll finish with 4 losses in our last 5 games
Even shot for us to go one and done in tournamanet and end the season like the 500 team we were last year.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
02-24-12 11:14 PM - Post#122127    
    In response to Rick

Unless this team figures out how to attack a zone between now and Springfield, they will be one-and-done.

Pathetic to watch. The in-game coaching back to being the liability has been for the past 7 seasons.

What a waste.

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
02-24-12 11:49 PM - Post#122133    
    In response to Rick

Rider didn’t miss because their shots were seldom contested.

Thought we played fairly well against their zone at times, but mostly cause Rider did a poor job with it. The problem early was they’d work the ball in the paint to Walker and he looked like he had no idea what to do with it.

Speaking of Walker, I know he had 14 points but he was useless about 95% of the time he was on the floor. From being indecisive on most of his shots (the ones he bothered to take), to his ole defense and his uncanny ability to get beat on every single contested rebound, he was just terrible.

Jimmy with the ill-timed T and his musical chair lineups certainly didn’t help. Why did Olsen sit so much early on?

And no, they did not have a time out left at the end, Jimmy frittered them all away so he could go on his tirades. Good rotation to get an open look but Walker not the guy you want taking it – but, we’ve seen them run that set before and wind up with Etherly taking a 3!

And Cormier needs to get his game to where he takes over more often, not for just 3 or 4 possessions a game.

I have no doubts Jimmy will sulk his way thru Sunday and they will come out and stink it up vs the Jaspers, not that it matters.

Fairfield giving Iona all they can handle, so even if they can avoid one and done, I am not feeling confident about any matchup in the semis.

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
02-25-12 01:07 PM - Post#122178    
    In response to WOFM

• WOFM Said:
Rider didn’t miss because their shots were seldom contested.

Thought we played fairly well against their zone at times, but mostly cause Rider did a poor job with it. The problem early was they’d work the ball in the paint to Walker and he looked like he had no idea what to do with it.

Speaking of Walker, I know he had 14 points but he was useless about 95% of the time he was on the floor. From being indecisive on most of his shots (the ones he bothered to take), to his ole defense and his uncanny ability to get beat on every single contested rebound, he was just terrible.

Jimmy with the ill-timed T and his musical chair lineups certainly didn’t help. Why did Olsen sit so much early on?

And no, they did not have a time out left at the end, Jimmy frittered them all away so he could go on his tirades. Good rotation to get an open look but Walker not the guy you want taking it – but, we’ve seen them run that set before and wind up with Etherly taking a 3!

Agree with all of these points. I've been saying it all year but holy wow is Shane Walker f$#king terrible.. the fact that CYO kids box out better than he does is absurd. He literally has no idea how to box out... at all. He looks so lost in the paint, probably why he creepily lurks around the 3 point line.

Not having a timeout is all on Patsos (big surprise Patsos does something dumb at the end of the game) But at the same time these kids gotta be able to just go and run a play that's called out from the sideline, not have Daddy Patsos hold their hand and let them know exactly where to stand.

I have a problem with Shane's shot.. but I don't know if I can blame him for taking it. In Shane's mind, he shoots 200% from the 3 point line and that's "his" shot.. in Shane's mind. Obviously, especially with 8 seconds or so left, you want that shot to be in a guards hands. Also don't understand why we were even going for the 3 initially.. don't waste time and hold for the last shot to tie the game.. pound it inside, get the 2.. foul and then do it over again until a 3 is a necessity.

Shane Walker absolutely sucks.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
02-25-12 01:48 PM - Post#122188    
    In response to LoCo2011

Shane Walker is not the reason this team lost last night so people really need to calm down. And honestly, these are kids, not pros, so let's just back off on the vitriol directed at our student athletes, okay?

I'm still trying to figure out how they lost. Honestly cannot remember a recent example of a team with a lead in the closing minutes losing a game because they kept fouling, putting the other team on the line. Rider didn't even have to make FGs to close the gap!

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
02-25-12 04:17 PM - Post#122212    
    In response to jdp 94

• jdp 94 Said:
Shane Walker is not the reason this team lost last night so people really need to calm down. And honestly, these are kids, not pros, so let's just back off on the vitriol directed at our student athletes, okay?

I'm still trying to figure out how they lost. Honestly cannot remember a recent example of a team with a lead in the closing minutes losing a game because they kept fouling, putting the other team on the line. Rider didn't even have to make FGs to close the gap!

I was not saying Walker was the reason they lost, but I just happened to pay more attention to him last night and it seemed my most common reaction to him on both ends of the floor was “what the hell is he doing?”.

And while I always like to see seniors respected, especially a seemingly good kid like Walker, if you’re gonna compete Jimmy has to figure out a way to cut his minutes, that’s all.

They didn’t lose the game at the end, they lost it a lot earlier by not taking advantage of a mediocre Rider team and building a big lead early.

Walker’s shot at the end was not the worst play, that is a shot he can make, and it’s not like teams will simply let you get the ball to Olsen for an open look. And I totally agree your kids have to know how to run an end of game set without a TO.

Just from where I sit, I am wondering if the 20 wins had more to do with the bottom half of the MAAC getting worse as opposed to Loyola playing better? JP deserves all the credit in the world for getting the skill level to where it is now, but you have to be able to execute and win the games you should win, or else what’s the point?

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.228 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:51 PM