Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 1 of 4 1234
Username Post: MAAC TOURNAMENT!!!        (Topic#13193)
hound4life 
Freshman

Reg: 01-01-09
02-26-12 08:01 PM - Post#122640    

well folks... bracket is set play winner of niagara/canisius. if we win that game we play manhattan/siena. don't think we could've asked for a better draw for a semifinal matchup. LETS GO HOUNDSSSSS

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
02-27-12 11:29 AM - Post#122686    
    In response to hound4life

I agree that we got the best possible draw to get to the title game. That doesn't mean it will be a cakewalk as we have seen that we can lose to the Niagaras and Marists of the league. But I would much rather play manhattan or Siena two teams we know we can beat instead of Rider or Fairfield that scare me.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
02-27-12 11:31 AM - Post#122687    
    In response to loco09

Question for the board: if we don't win the MAAC tourney would you guys be disappointed with a CIT/CBI bid? Of course NIT would be the best but with our recent slump and the automatic qualifiers I think it will be tough to get in

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
02-27-12 11:41 AM - Post#122688    
    In response to loco09

Don't think disappointed is the right word. Any post-season bid would be some nice recognition. Once we lost the 2 straight, nevermind the Rider game.. I kind of saw the NIT bid fading away with it.

I would definitely go to any NCAA location if Loyola were in it.. I would maybe go to the NIT if travel was reasonable (under 4/5 hours)... I wouldn't go to CIT/CBI unless it was under an hour away, and would probably just check the score and such.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
02-27-12 12:19 PM - Post#122693    
    In response to LoCo2011

I wouldn't be satisfied with the CIT or CBI but I wouldn't be disappointed either. I think any postseason can only help this team moving forward. It gives postseason experience and allows at least another week of practice time. But let's see if we can take care of business for once and at least get to the title game where all bets are off

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
02-27-12 01:02 PM - Post#122710    
    In response to loco09

• loco09 Said:
Question for the board: if we don't win the MAAC tourney would you guys be disappointed with a CIT/CBI bid? Of course NIT would be the best but with our recent slump and the automatic qualifiers I think it will be tough to get in

It depends. If we come out and lay an egg in the quarter finals, I'd take a CIT bid and run.

That said, if they made it to the finals and lost to Iona in the championship game, I would be pretty disappointed/angry that Loyola didn't get an NIT nod. Winning 2 games in Springfield and an outright 2nd place reg season finish in the MAAC should be enough for the NIT, despite the late season semi-collapse...

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
02-27-12 01:05 PM - Post#122713    
    In response to jdp 94

But in terms of re-adjusted expectations, they need to - at a minimum - get to the semis. Patsos shouldn't be allowed on the bus home home if they lose Saturday night.

LoCo2011 
Senior

02-27-12 01:21 PM - Post#122719    
    In response to jdp 94

21 wins... most ever in Division 1 history

Not allowing him on the bus home is hard to justify.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
02-27-12 02:07 PM - Post#122727    
    In response to LoCo2011

• LoCo2011 Said:
21 wins... most ever in Division 1 history

Not allowing him on the bus home is hard to justify.

Losing to either a terrible Niagara or Canisius team with the "greatest" Loyola squad ever to compete in Div 1 would be just as hard to justify, imo.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
MAAC TOURNAMENT!!!
02-27-12 02:10 PM - Post#122728    
    In response to jdp 94

MAAC Tourny results under Patsos:

2011 – Q – (4) Saint Peter's 70, (5) Loyola 60

2010 – P – (8) Loyola 79, (9) Manhattan 94

2009 – P – (8) Loyola 68, (9) Canisius 74

2008 – S – (1) Siena 65, (4) Loyola 63
2008 – Q – (4) Loyola 64, (5) Fairfield 59

2007 – S – (2) Niagara 89, (3) Loyola 79
2007 – Q – (3) Loyola 76, (6) Fairfield 72

2006 – P – (6) Loyola 72, (9) Canisius 74

2005 – P – (6) Manhattan 88, (9) Loyola 67

Total Record: 2-7

Record as higher seed: 2-3
Record as lower seed: 0-4
Play in record: 0-4
Quarter record: 2-1
Semis record: 0-2

No Finals appearance.
No players named to All-Tourny team.
Currently on a 4 game tourny losing streak.

LoCo2011 
Senior

02-27-12 02:33 PM - Post#122732    
    In response to jdp 94

oh not debating he's awful in the MAAC tournament.

I just think we still need to remember that we are just Loyola. As much as people want to believe we've taken the next step up to being a contender... we really haven't. You can look at the stats you posted and look at the seeds.. Nevermind the Andre Collins years b/c that's why the initial bump came.. We lost a lot from 08-09 (I believe that's when Tuck and Omari left) Since then he's had us finish 8th, 8th, 5th, 2nd.. that's improvement, that's why I say hard to justify.

We also play in the MAAC.. finishing 2nd but losing in the conference tournament is not grounds for removal, just don't see it. Think we would've needed to finish 4th or lower to justify getting rid of him. His contract is up I believe, gotta think the AD might want to bring his own guy in... but I just don't know if there's enough evidence to not resign Jimmy.. gotta hope he jumps ship

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
02-27-12 02:49 PM - Post#122740    
    In response to LoCo2011

• LoCo2011 Said:

I just think we still need to remember that we are just Loyola.

No offense intended, but that is exactly the defeatist/loser mentality that led to the Scott Hicks era and to which I refuse to be associated.

What's the point of competing if the goal isn't to be successful?

There is absolutely NO GOOD REASON why this program can't consistently compete for and capture MAAC titles. None.

Bang Bang 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-03-07
02-27-12 02:49 PM - Post#122741    
    In response to LoCo2011

Is Patsos' contract up? Why in the back of my mind did I have him here until like 2015?

If so, no reason we wouldn't sign him back after this year and no reason he should jump ship at all, when he has 4 of 5 starters returning.

Someone let me know how long we signed him for.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
MAAC TOURNAMENT!!!
02-27-12 02:52 PM - Post#122742    
    In response to Bang Bang

• Bang Bang Said:
Is Patsos' contract up? Why in the back of my mind did I have him here until like 2015?

If so, no reason we wouldn't sign him back after this year and no reason he should jump ship at all, when he has 4 of 5 starters returning.

Jimmy isn't going to get a better job offer unless he gets Loyola to the NCAAs. And even then, I would be surprised if he actually jumped ship to where he would be held accountable for his shortcomings. He's got it good at Evergreen.

LoCo2011 
Senior

02-27-12 02:52 PM - Post#122743    
    In response to Bang Bang

• Bang Bang Said:

95% sure this is his last year... which is why I think you'd be hard pressed not to resign him

LoCo2011 
Senior

02-27-12 02:57 PM - Post#122745    
    In response to jdp 94

• jdp 94 Said:
  • LoCo2011 Said:

No offense intended, but that is exactly the defeatist/loser mentality that led to the Scott Hicks era and to which I refuse to be associated.

There is absolutely NO GOOD REASON why this program can't consistently compete for and capture MAAC titles. None.

I would counter-argue (and I'm playing more devil's advocate here, I'm honestly on the fence with him).. that finishing 2nd place in the MAAC is absolutely competing for MAAC titles.. that making it to the Semis in 07-08 is competing for MAAC titles (although the 17 point blown lead is still troubling)

I think we can all agree that pre-Iona we were all very pleased with what Patsos was doing.. and even after the win, the fact that we almost blew the lead was troubling but still we beat them.

I think it would be an overreaction to not resign him simply b/c he had a stretch of 4 bad games. We still went to Manhattan and won in the last game.. including overcoming an 11 point deficit to finish 2nd.

I just don't think mid-major basketball wise, that you see coaches get fired b/c of lack of tournament success.. there's just no precedent for it. Coaches in general don't get fired.. just are not brought back.. which is why I think this is a really tough spot right now.

Hard to ignore the most wins in Loyola's division 1 history, especially if we win on Saturday.

LoCo2011 
Senior

Re: MAAC TOURNAMENT!!!
02-27-12 03:00 PM - Post#122747    
    In response to jdp 94

• jdp 94 Said:

Jimmy isn't going to get a better job offer unless he gets Loyola to the NCAAs. And even then, I would be surprised if he actually jumped ship to where he would be held accountable for his shortcomings. He's got it good at Evergreen.

If a mid to tip tier CAA or A10 job comes along, I think he's dumb not to take it, more chance for growth. Think he wishes he was in a conference where there was a chance at an at large bid year after year.. something the MAAC won't deliver on.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
MAAC TOURNAMENT!!!
02-27-12 03:06 PM - Post#122751    
    In response to LoCo2011

• LoCo2011 Said:
  • jdp 94 Said:
  • LoCo2011 Said:

I would counter-argue (and I'm playing more devil's advocate here, I'm honestly on the fence with him).. that finishing 2nd place in the MAAC is absolutely competing for MAAC titles.. that making it to the Semis in 07-08 is competing for MAAC titles (although the 17 point blown lead is still troubling)

I think we can all agree that pre-Iona we were all very pleased with what Patsos was doing.. and even after the win, the fact that we almost blew the lead was troubling but still we beat them.

I think it would be an overreaction to not resign him simply b/c he had a stretch of 4 bad games. We still went to Manhattan and won in the last game.. including overcoming an 11 point deficit to finish 2nd.

I just don't think mid-major basketball wise, that you see coaches get fired b/c of lack of tournament success.. there's just no precedent for it. Coaches in general don't get fired.. just are not brought back.. which is why I think this is a really tough spot right now.

Hard to ignore the most wins in Loyola's division 1 history, especially if we win on Saturday.

How many coaches on the mid-major level get to run a program for a decade without EVER making the NCAAs or NIT?

This is Jimmy's 8th season and we know exactly who he is and what he is capable of.

Excellent recruiter. Terrible at Xs and Os. No poise under pressure.

So basically, unless the team has a clear advantage in talent, it will lose. When the games are big, we come up small.

Success in college hoops is measured by what you can do in March. Patsos would say as much every season the team sucked in January. Now it's his time to put his money where his mouth is.

If we can't beat Niagara, Jimmy should just stay up in Springfield.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
02-27-12 03:13 PM - Post#122754    
    In response to LoCo2011

• LoCo2011 Said:
  • jdp 94 Said:

If a mid to tip tier CAA or A10 job comes along, I think he's dumb not to take it, more chance for growth. Think he wishes he was in a conference where there was a chance at an at large bid year after year.. something the MAAC won't deliver on.

You will be able to knock me over with a feather if Jimmy Patsos leaves Evergreen on his own accord to lead another program. I don't care how many articles Feinstein writes about him...

LoCo2011 
Senior

02-27-12 03:17 PM - Post#122755    
    In response to jdp 94

I agree with all of those points but a couple things I will say.

I think the list of mid-major coaches that have been there for a decade without an NCAA or an NIT is a lot longer than you think.

Definitely agree about X's and O's but do you honestly think Loyola administration would pull the strings on Patsos the same year that he wins the most games in Loyola Division 1 history and the same year that he hit 100 career wins?

That's what I mean when I say hard to justify, I just can't imagine the Loyola decision-makers to do something like that after what was accomplished in the regular season.

He should get a 1 year deal.. maybe 2.. and then if no post-season success, cut him loose. Have to remember, next year we should be one of the favorites to win the conference... if we don't win the tournament next year, it makes more sense to me to get rid of him than after this year, especially with Iona being Iona this year.

Like you've said though a loss to Niagara/Canisius on Saturday makes things really really difficult to go one way or another.

Page 1 of 4 1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.374 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:14 AM