Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: MAAC TOURNAMENT!!!        (Topic#13193)
Greyhound21 
Freshman

Reg: 02-07-12
Re: MAAC TOURNAMENT!!!
02-28-12 12:52 PM - Post#122904    
    In response to LoCo2011

• LoCo2011 Said:
  • Greyhound21 Said:

If we get bounced early and you leave him in Springfield he might find his way into HOF...

And.. to the 2nd point.. I may have mis-read/mis-interpreted.. or just missed your sarcasm, but please tell me that you did not suggest that JP will be in the Basketball HOF one day.

Mis-interpreted.... I was joking because a few people wanted to leave him off the bus in Springfield if we lost early...if you left him there he might go visit "find his way" to the HOF.

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
Re: MAAC TOURNAMENT!!!
02-28-12 12:54 PM - Post#122905    
    In response to Greyhound21

• Greyhound21 Said:
  • LoCo2011 Said:
  • Greyhound21 Said:

If we get bounced early and you leave him in Springfield he might find his way into HOF...

And.. to the 2nd point.. I may have mis-read/mis-interpreted.. or just missed your sarcasm, but please tell me that you did not suggest that JP will be in the Basketball HOF one day.

Mis-interpreted.... I was joking because a few people wanted to leave him off the bus in Springfield if we lost early...if you left him there he might go visit "find his way" to the HOF.

Figured.. had to double check haha.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
MAAC TOURNAMENT!!!
02-28-12 01:20 PM - Post#122909    
    In response to Greyhound21

• Greyhound21 Said:

The rule I always have followed is that you need to have better players to win and when all things are created equal it is going to come down to coaching. If you can coach and recruit odds aren't coaching in the MAAC for very long. That said you can chalk up our losses to JP but we won 21 times because we have better players and more depth than most teams because JP can recruit and if you don't believe me ask Gary Williams.

You see, to me, this is the whole point. Nobody is denying Jimmy's ability to recruit talented players. But the fact of the matter is that no matter how well Jimmy recruits, there will be other teams with the same level of talent - so it does come down to coaching. At a certain point, you need a coach (or staff) that is going to be able to get more out of the players. In developing them season after season or in game management.

• Greyhound21 Said:
JP will get an extension and we will all just have to be frustrated by some of his in game decision making, but that beats the altturnative of having some highly touted asst. come in and win with JP's players leave for a better job and leave us back where we started. I'll take JP and his ability to get better players over the unknown or unproven.

Is the point of the program to be respectable or hang banners? Some people feel are satisfied with what's been built, and you're all entitled to that opinion. But it isn't mine. John Feinstein articles are nice and all. But in the end, it's meaningless. Dare to be great and live with the consequences. This is sport for chrissakes.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
02-28-12 01:29 PM - Post#122911    
    In response to Nino

• Nino Said:

Spot on! 100% accurate. Your argument is further supported by the fact we've had 8 D1 coaches in 23 years. That turnover has been devastating to the program, the student/fan/alumni support and team spirit.

Patsos has brought definition back to Loyola Basketball - an excellent product that promises to be exciting, fun and maybe even controversial, year after year. I've seen nearly every game for eight years, and I've been driven as crazy as anybody by "coaching situations". But I've also been in touch with more fans and more alums than anybody - and I'm telling you Jimmy's positives WAY outweigh his negatives when you look at the overall health and direction of the program.

Considering the product he's built, how much the students like him, the national press Loyola gets, and the talent he brings in, Patsos has been the best thing to ever happen to Loyola basketball. Period. End of story.

I don't disagree with your points. Jimmy Patsos will always be credited with saving the men's basketball program.

But that being said, at what point do we stop holding Scott Hicks up as the benchmark? When is it okay to hold higher expectations and level-set against the rest of the MAAC?

Some people, as talented as they are, can't get beyond a certain level. The automatic assumption that program tanks if/when Patsos leaves is flawed and not based in reality, it's based in fear.

rkelly_hounds98 
Junior

Reg: 09-15-06
02-28-12 01:49 PM - Post#122914    
    In response to jdp 94

Can we save this talk until after the tournament?
"-"

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
02-28-12 02:04 PM - Post#122917    
    In response to rkelly_hounds98

• rkelly_hounds98 Said:

Absolutely.

Go Hounds!

rkelly_hounds98 
Junior

Reg: 09-15-06
02-28-12 02:49 PM - Post#122924    
    In response to jdp 94

• jdp 94 Said:
  • rkelly_hounds98 Said:

Absolutely.

Go Hounds!

Thanks JDP. I am excited for this weekend, I'm heading up Friday and will hopefully be staying through Monday. It's nice to have high expectations. Judging on the crowd at HYA, I'm hoping the Hounds have a good amount of fans attending. Hope a bunch of other members of the board can make the trek and make some noise.
Let's Go Greyhounds!
"-"

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-02-12 03:10 PM - Post#123364    
    In response to rkelly_hounds98

the Board is shockingly quiet this week.

Any insiders have a sense of the team's vibe heading into the weekend? Are we ready to take this thing?

LoCo2011 
Senior

03-02-12 04:37 PM - Post#123379    
    In response to jdp 94

haha we were asked to shelf the Patsos talk until next week.. I'm quietly lurking around...

Honestly, winning that last game was huge.. now they've had an entire week to just forget everything that just happened and start from scratch, remember how dominant we were at one point, I think we know early on in the Niagara (I can't see Canisius winning) game what Loyola team actually showed up to Springfield

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-02-12 05:39 PM - Post#123397    
    In response to LoCo2011

• LoCo2011 Said:
haha we were asked to shelf the Patsos talk until next week.. I'm quietly lurking around...

Honestly, winning that last game was huge.. now they've had an entire week to just forget everything that just happened and start from scratch, remember how dominant we were at one point, I think we know early on in the Niagara (I can't see Canisius winning) game what Loyola team actually showed up to Springfield

I was trying to change the subject!

Anyway, it should be interesting. I have seen enough of the good and the bad this season to know we can beat anyone and lose to anyone on any given day. I also believe that if the team plays like it did during that stretch leading up to and including the first half of the Iona game, no one will beat them.

I just implore them not to coach/play afraid. It always gets them in trouble. No lead is safe. Keep trying to score! No clock milking Jimmy!

LoCo2011 
Senior

03-02-12 08:10 PM - Post#123426    
    In response to jdp 94

I think our entire season turned around the 9 minute mark with the big league on Iona... we stopped running our offense and tried to milk the clock for the win.

Haven't looked the same since.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
03-02-12 08:45 PM - Post#123452    
    In response to LoCo2011

Hopefully the win against Manhattan put the team back on the right track. I agree that we will know in the first 10-15 minutes of tomorrow's game if we have a chance to win this year. I expect the offense to struggle some early with a new arena, nerves, etc. but defense and effort/hustle need to be there.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
03-02-12 11:12 PM - Post#123533    
    In response to jdp 94

• jdp 94 Said:
I just implore them not to coach/play afraid. It always gets them in trouble. No lead is safe. Keep trying to score! No clock milking Jimmy!

Indeed!

Here's hoping JP has them relaxed and shows the maturity needed to let them go out there and play. If he starts yanking guys from the git go for every little mistake, it will be a long night.

If they go out there with a solid effort and hold serve, I like their chances on Sunday. If Jimmy is antsy and reverts back to old Jimmy, we could be in for some of the same old same old

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-03-12 01:55 AM - Post#123547    
    In response to WOFM

niagara beat canisius by 10 so we will see what happens tonight. hopefully niagara will be a little tired after playing the late game tonight

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-03-12 10:50 PM - Post#123709    
    In response to loco09

The 2012 MAAC Coach of the Year is now allowed to get on the bus with his trophy and go back to Baltimore...

Here's hoping that it isn't tomorrow night.

Go Hounds!

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-03-12 11:00 PM - Post#123713    
    In response to jdp 94

Juanya Green for Niagara was really tough but we did a good job especially in the 2nd half of getting the ball inside and Etherly scoring or someone kicking it out to Olson and Cormier for open shots. Cormier had 23, Etherly 21, Walker 13pts and 12 rebounds. A solid win now on to tomorrow. Alvarado is supposedly not playing for Manhattan and Hymes is playing for Siena I dont really have a preference of who we face I guess Siena would be a better matchup for us. I just want to get to the championship game and play all out and whatever happens happens

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-03-12 11:01 PM - Post#123714    
    In response to loco09

btw the officiating in the game was horrible both ways I've never seen so many touch fouls called and then have blatant no calls.

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
03-03-12 11:09 PM - Post#123717    
    In response to loco09

• loco09 Said:
btw the officiating in the game was horrible both ways I've never seen so many touch fouls called and then have blatant no calls.

Totally agree those guys were pathetic - not biased really, just awful. Hope they are done.

Someone who was not horrible was Shane Walker. Still had occasional gaffes, but overall his best game by far this year. Be great to see that from him for two more games.

Hustle and effort was there all night, seemed like they'd never pull away but finally did.

Feed off JP's energy but don't let him call the plays and maybe we'll be on "real" TV Monday night

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
03-04-12 01:44 AM - Post#123759    
    In response to WOFM

Sienna just beat Manhattan in an incredible game in overtime
Like our chances but we have to play smart basketball to advance to Monday. Can't come out flat.
I thought Niagra would be gassed tonight but that wasn't the case.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-04-12 01:51 AM - Post#123760    
    In response to Rick

That game was an epic game. If you didnt see the shot that rimmed out at the end of regulation for Manhattan it was sick. Siena should be tired but they will have a ton of adrenaline from tonight's win. We need to come out strong and get them in foul trouble early they wont have the legs to make a 2nd half comeback. If we let them hang around watch out.

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.225 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:00 AM