Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Username Post: Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell        (Topic#13262)
BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-03-12 11:51 PM - Post#123735    

Only 11 seats (all singles) still available! I guess more may come available if Lehigh turns any back in. They're on break all this week.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-04-12 12:15 AM - Post#123737    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

The semi with Lafayette was a good crowd and the students did a decent job as well. Looks like it will be a packed house on Wednesday and I hope the roof comes off the place as the Bison are putting a beatdown on the 'Hawks (okay, wishful thinking on the beatdown part).

Speaking of the championship game, this may have been covered previously, but I'm wondering what people think about the Wednesday night championship game. I kind of liked the Friday @ 4:00 thing 'cause there was not much else going on at that time and more eyes were potentially on the PL. But I also like the evening aspect of Wednesday. One thing I will miss is the ESPN showing, simply b/c we do not get CBS Sports Network and I'd like to TiVo it. Just curious what the consensus is on this topic.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Re: Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell
03-04-12 01:20 AM - Post#123756    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
Only 11 seats (all singles) still available! I guess more may come available if Lehigh turns any back in. They're on break all this week.

I am wondering what Lehigh is doing. They took their full allocation of 1333 seats, knowing full well they won't sell more than 150 tops. (Even if students were on campus I doubt they could sell 200.) I wonder if LU or a booster is planning to purchase all of their unsold tickets and have 1000 vacant seats simply to limit the Bucknell crowd.

Compare this to Lafayette - who travels far better than LU. They did not opt to take anywhere near 1333 seats even though they have a MUCH stronger fanbase. As it turned out, they sent most of the tickets back.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-04-12 11:14 AM - Post#123797    
    In response to Bison137

Lehigh barely drew 1333 to Stabler yesterday. It is laughable to think that they will be able to sell all of those to Lehigh fans, and if a booster ever bought them to let them go to waste, it would be an absolute embarrassment to the league and the PL would have to immediately intervene and let Bucknell sell extra "standing room only" tickets.

The Lehigh athletics website's article about the American game says Lehigh's tickets for the final will go on sale at 7 pm "tonight" (which was last night) and gave a link to buy tickets online. However, as of this morning, it does not look like their tickets are on sale. Since there is no way they can sell 1333, I doubt there will be a requirement to have a Lehigh ID, so I would suggest Bison fans without tickets buy through the Lehigh website when available.

On a random note, why the hell does the description for the Lehigh basketball message board say, "Humiliating Kansas in the NCAA tournament once wasn’t enough. This time, we need to do it again."? Am I missing something? Didn't Kansas beat them by double digits? Did the genius who created that board get Bucknell and Lehigh confused?

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
03-04-12 11:27 AM - Post#123802    
    In response to BUFan

From the Lehigh website:

Men's Basketball Patriot League Championship Game tickets are on sale now. Fans need a Promotional Access Code to purchase. To purchase, enter the password/Promo Access Code in the box at the top of this page. The Code was distributed at Saturday's Semifinal game, emailed to ticket customers and Lehigh alumni and students. If fans need the Code, please email rch3@lehigh.edu
Fans are recommended to purchase tickets ASAP, as this game will sell out in advance.

So, it looks like Lehigh is going to protect their tickets by requiring a promo code to purchase. I guess Bison fans could try e-mailing that e-mail address to get the promo code...Or find a Lehigh alum or student willing to share the code

Bucknell's allotment is now sold out, and any returned tickets from Lehigh will go on sale Wednesday.

joeyorr4 
Freshman

Reg: 03-09-11
03-04-12 11:32 AM - Post#123806    
    In response to BUFan

Can't wait for this game! Let's go Bison!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-04-12 11:35 AM - Post#123811    
    In response to BUFan

• BUFan Said:
On a random note, why the hell does the description for the Lehigh basketball message board say, "Humiliating Kansas in the NCAA tournament once wasn’t enough. This time, we need to do it again."? Am I missing something? Didn't Kansas beat them by double digits? Did the genius who created that board get Bucknell and Lehigh confused?

Yes, Kansas beat by about 17 points. Apparently someone thinks that letting LU hang with them for awhile must have been "humiliating" to Kansas. Maybe it was. However I think Kansas has likely suffered worse humiliation from a PL team.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-04-12 12:56 PM - Post#123842    
    In response to Bison137

Two games so far between these two teams, and both were out and out wars. Last year, I did not think anybody could beat us in the PL tourney, but this year an LU win could not rightly be called an upset.

I am still concerned about our relatively cold shooting early in games, but have been impressed by the team's approach to the first two tournament games. Neither of those two opponents had any right to even THINK about beating us, and we made sure that they did not get any ideas about doing so once the game started. This game, if it is anything like the two that preceded will be a tough, close defensive battle throughout and the team that is toughest mentally will win. Usually that has been us, but not so last time when we definitely let victory slip away.

This will be a good one. There has not been a PL Championship game that looked as good as this on paper since the BU/ HC wars in '05 and '07.

Shot Clock 
Masters Student

Loc: Arlington VA
Reg: 01-27-06
Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell
03-04-12 01:27 PM - Post#123851    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
The semi with Lafayette was a good crowd and the students did a decent job as well. Looks like it will be a packed house on Wednesday and I hope the roof comes off the place as the Bison are putting a beatdown on the 'Hawks (okay, wishful thinking on the beatdown part).

Speaking of the championship game, this may have been covered previously, but I'm wondering what people think about the Wednesday night championship game. I kind of liked the Friday @ 4:00 thing 'cause there was not much else going on at that time and more eyes were potentially on the PL. But I also like the evening aspect of Wednesday. One thing I will miss is the ESPN showing, simply b/c we do not get CBS Sports Network and I'd like to TiVo it. Just curious what the consensus is on this topic.

I'm not crazy about it. It looks like a more attractive time, but I think it's going to get lost what with the Big East 2nd round on ESPN and the NEC championship on ESPN2. That's where people look for championship week games, so I think it hurts PL exposure. Also, I would bet most everyone has ESPN2 on their system while CBSSN coverage is spotty (it's in a sportspack on numerous systems like Comcast). I also think the ESPN announcers are generally better (definitely better than Vince Curran).

Plus I genuinely loved that Friday happy hour slot. It was pretty much the only game going on at the time. Plus it was always the only title game on Friday of championship week.

The only positive is that we don't have to worry about a runover from the ACC tourney game.
B.A. Bucknell University, 1993

Edited by Shot Clock on 03-04-12 01:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Re: Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell
03-04-12 03:07 PM - Post#123884    
    In response to Shot Clock

• Shot Clock Said:
I also think the ESPN announcers are generally better (definitely better than Vince Curran).

Alaa Abdelnaby is doing the PL championship. In yesterday's postgame, he said "They're flying me to Lewisburg." I chuckled, thinking, "No, you'll probably fly to Harrisburg and then drive north for an hour."

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-04-12 03:29 PM - Post#123891    

Speaking of announcers, since I was at the game I didn't hear how the CBS team did yesterday. Any comments?

norcalfan 
Junior

Reg: 03-19-08
03-04-12 05:10 PM - Post#123921    
    In response to BUFan

• BUFan Said:
Lehigh barely drew 1333 to Stabler yesterday. It is laughable to think that they will be able to sell all of those to Lehigh fans, and if a booster ever bought them to let them go to waste, it would be an absolute embarrassment to the league and the PL would have to immediately intervene and let Bucknell sell extra "standing room only" tickets.

The Lehigh athletics website's article about the American game says Lehigh's tickets for the final will go on sale at 7 pm "tonight" (which was last night) and gave a link to buy tickets online. However, as of this morning, it does not look like their tickets are on sale. Since there is no way they can sell 1333, I doubt there will be a requirement to have a Lehigh ID, so I would suggest Bison fans without tickets buy through the Lehigh website when available.

Spring Break!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-04-12 07:10 PM - Post#123954    
    In response to norcalfan

• norcalfan Said:
  • BUFan Said:

Spring Break!

Spring Break doesn't affect Lehigh attendance much, since few students attend most games. Based on attendance, you might think Spring Break lasts from November 15th to March 15th.

res 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
03-04-12 07:20 PM - Post#123955    
    In response to BUFan

• BUFan Said:

So, it looks like Lehigh is going to protect their tickets by requiring a promo code to purchase. I guess Bison fans could try e-mailing that e-mail address to get the promo code...Or find a Lehigh alum or student willing to share the code

I have a good friend who is not only a Lehigh alum but a Lehigh professor. Not only that, he is a rational human being. I don't know how many he can score, but I will contact him if anyone is interested.

MouserDZ 
Masters Student
MouserDZ
Reg: 03-02-06
03-04-12 07:33 PM - Post#123958    
    In response to res

Lehigh is returning 500 tickets
http://www.bucknellbison.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec- ...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell
03-04-12 07:56 PM - Post#123965    
    In response to MouserDZ

Good news. If LU returns all unsold tickets, there will be a lot more coming back.

Looks like the above link is dead. Here's a working one: http://www.bucknellbison.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec- ...

The question still is in my mind as to why LU took 1333 tickets, when everyone knew they couldn't sell more than about 200. I assume this early return indicates that ticket sales on their site were very slow.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
03-04-12 08:06 PM - Post#123968    
    In response to Bison137

Now, I'll give Lehigh credit for the way they've handled ticket sales so far. I can't fault them for initially taking all the tickets in the event there was a miraculously high demand. Once they saw demand was low after a day or two, kudos to them for returning a bunch so Bucknell doesn't have to scramble to sell them Wednesday morning. I suspect they will return some more over the next two days if they aren't selling.

I'm sure Lehigh realizes that Wednesday's is the league's biggest showcase of the year, so playing in front of a full arena is good for the whole league.

norcalfan 
Junior

03-04-12 08:19 PM - Post#123973    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • norcalfan Said:
  • BUFan Said:

Spring Break!

Spring Break doesn't affect Lehigh attendance much, since few students attend most games. Based on attendance, you might think Spring Break lasts from November 15th to March 15th.

Bison, it seems that you take any opportunity to take a shot at LU. I went back and reviewed attendance comments from you. LU does not have great attendance as I have complained too, but seems you enjoy the extra stab. Great that BU has great fan base. Good for you. I wish LU had a great one too. Just my opinion of course.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-04-12 09:21 PM - Post#123989    
    In response to norcalfan

Sorry, I thought I was just responding to your comment about Spring Break being responsible for the poor attendance. But I realize that sometimes the truth hurts.

I do think it's a bit emabarassing that LU has had so many good players (Rowland, Olivero, Hall, Carrington, McCollum) in recent years - and a number of good teams - and yet its student body (which is much larger than that of Bucknell) doesn't support the team at all. I realize that Stabler is off-campus, but they still should draw better than that. It can't make the players happy. And it would certainly be better for the league if LU had some sort of student or community support.

norcalfan 
Junior

03-04-12 10:29 PM - Post#124009    
    In response to Bison137

I am not hurt, just sad for the players. In my rush to answer the question, I was not clear. I was simply saying that it is Spring Break and therefore less students will attend because there are none.

Yes, LU had and has great players, but for whatever reason, no one in the LU community is interested. Honestly, I was surprised that they had over 1000 in attendance at this game. Lack of attendance must make it hard to play hard. So far they have done well with no fan support. I can only imagine how much better they would play if they had the attendance of BU. Many of their players come from a rather large high school support base.

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.468 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:15 PM