Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Loyola vs Fairfield-- MAAC CHAMPIONSHIP        (Topic#13276)
Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
03-05-12 05:24 PM - Post#124182    
    In response to Lou

How did I not even mention BJ Pendleton? The nicest guy in the bunch, and a great player.
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
Re: Loyola vs Fairfield-- MAAC CHAMPIONSHIP
03-05-12 05:27 PM - Post#124185    
    In response to Lou

Lou's post was pretty spot on - except Malone was either graduated or hurt because he did not play on the 93-94 team.

You did forget to mention the other star frosh - Milton Williams who stole the ball on Manhattan's last possession to seal the championship!

Bergen fouled out with the comeback yet not complete. Milt played huge and Darius' 3 to take the lead will forever be etched in memory.

What was great about that team was that no one really thought we had a chance. Altho according to Boylan, having hung with the Joe Smith led Maryland in a late season OOC game in College Park gave the team confidence.

I have the vhs tape of the game lying around somewhere and one day I will convert it to a digital file and upload it to youtube.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-05-12 05:32 PM - Post#124191    
    In response to jdp 94

Milt Williams. How could I forget him?

Agreed Darius' rainbow is the moment I remember best. I remember Bergan's foul trouble but didn't remember he had fouled out. As for Mike I would bet a kidney he hadn't graduated yet, but maybe hurt? Or honestly he was never that good.

We could get into how a few of those guys ended up at Loyola, and what went on while they were there, but why spoil the moment?
Jesus loves me.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-05-12 05:41 PM - Post#124196    
    In response to Lou

Worth mentioning for the youngsters that the MAAC was a very different conference back then. We had just finished the LaSalle years with Lionel Simmons and those good Holy Cross teams coached by George Blaney were gone, but in 95 the MAAC actually got two teams into the NCAA tournament after Manhattan was upset, and that year St. Peter's won a first round game.

I THINK the year we made the tournament the MAAC sent 3 teams to the NIT, and one of them (Canisius? Siena? I think Siena?) got to the Garden.
Jesus loves me.

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
03-05-12 06:01 PM - Post#124210    
    In response to Lou

Great story.. Always saw the banner but never really heard the full story. Jumped on board in the Andre Collins years.

Here's hoping some new memories can be formed tonight. Enjoy the game guys.

Go Hounds!!!

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-05-12 07:27 PM - Post#124245    
    In response to LoCo2011

Looks like the Balto Sun archive only goes back to 1995. Here is a story on the team's heading up north to defend their title.

• Quote:
Loyola's twin champions face rough road to repeat in MAAC

March 03, 1995|By Paul McMullen | Paul McMullen,Sun Staff Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Three weeks ago, after the Manhattan men's basketball team had disposed of Loyola, the leader of the leading team in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference assessed the Greyhounds.

"Other than Tracy Bergan and Michael Reese," said Jaspers guard Ted Ellis, "it's pretty much the same team as last year."

Which is like saying that other than Bird, Parish and McHale, the Celtics have pretty much the same front line they had in the late 1980s.

The Loyola men's and women's teams have returned to the scene of their greatest triumphs, but much has changed in the year since the teams came to the Knickerbocker Arena in Albany with little fanfare only to swagger out of town with a sweep of the MAAC titles and the college's first NCAA Division I basketball tournament bids.

The women open defense of their tournament title today (3:15 p.m.) with a quarterfinal against Siena. Loyola (17-8) has the MAAC's premier player in forward Patty Stoffey, but a midseason slide left the Greyhounds in fourth place in the eight-team conference.

The men's quarterfinals are tomorrow, and seventh seed Loyola (9-17) will face second seed Canisius, the team it upset in last year's semifinals. The Greyhounds won just one fewer game in the MAAC regular season than they did last year, but this 5-9 crew is considerably less talented than the one that went 6-8.

Bergan and Reese, two of the most gifted players to set foot on Evergreen, completed their eligibility with last year's NCAA tournament loss to Arizona. Bergan, the MVP in last year's MAAC tournament, is coaching at DeMatha High and is a part-time student at Loyola. Reese is playing professionally in Luxembourg.

Skip Prosser, who made the most of his one year in Baltimore, is the coach at No. 25 Xavier. Sophomore guard Darius Johnson, who made the three-pointer that beat Manhattan in last year's MAAC title game, left the Greyhounds in January after his dedication was questioned by Brian Ellerbe, the Greyhounds' fourth coach in three seasons.

Ellerbe brought in two transfers who will figure in the backcourt next season and signed five recruits, all 6 feet 6 or taller, this past November. The Greyhounds' play inside has been spotty this season, and Loyola has to get bigger to be a consistent factor in the MAAC.

B. J. Pendleton will take career totals of 1,437 points and 700 rebounds to Albany. The senior forward leads the Greyhounds with averages of 14.3 points and 6.6 rebounds, but he was benched in late January after a shooting slump in which he made 28.6 percent in a six-game stretch.

Freshman guard John McDonald has shown promise at the point, and Teron Owens, a 6-3 junior from Catonsville, has averaged 10.3 points since he began starting in mid-January.

The Loyola women were favored in preseason because they returned seven of the top eight players from a team that swept the MAAC regular-season and tournament titles.

Loyola got out to a 7-1 start, beating Maryland and losing only to defending NCAA champion North Carolina. But then came injuries to Patty Taylor, Denise Stuewe and Kristin Fraser, and coach Pat Coyle's team had a 6-7 stretch.

"We had never been in this position before," said Taylor, one of four senior starters. "We knew we had won the MAAC a year ago, but we didn't understand what goes into being a defending champion."

Note: John McDonald would soon transfer to Iona and win a tournament MVP leading the Gaels to the NCAAs as a senior.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-05-12 07:29 PM - Post#124247    
    In response to jdp 94

But enough of all that.

It's about TONIGHT.

30 minutes til tip.

MacDog 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-21-06
03-05-12 07:33 PM - Post#124248    
    In response to jdp 94

Tracy Bergan and I had a chance to meet over our season at PVI as he helps coach some of our kids during their AAU seasons. Really good dude and SMART basketball mind.

JohnELinden 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 03-05-12
03-05-12 07:43 PM - Post#124249    
    In response to loco09

• loco09 Said:
I'm really enjoying these last few days and hopefully we will all be even more excited come tonight and tomorrow. I love reading the Fairfield board as there are a few guys there that absolutely hat Loyola and Patsos calling him an obnoxious genius and saying that we dont have a chance if they come to play. Its going to come down to rebounding the basketball if we control the boards and take away second chances I think we win. I wish I would have got to experience a run like this while I was on campus but i am enjoying it now. I think this run bodes well for next season as well becuase it shows that Loyola can in fact get over the hump and play for MAAC titles now we just have to win it.

i mean of course you aren't going to admit your coach is obnoxious.. guess just different than FF's lol... good luck tonight... hopefully its a good game..... kinda glad we lost that first game after being up huge in the second half then returning the favor blowing you out in your house... no needham but vegas still giving the nod to fairfield regardless of record.... again... good luck...

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.255 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:49 PM