Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: NIT Bracket        (Topic#13323)
BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-11-12 01:26 PM - Post#125290    
    In response to Bison137

Even if Dayton did get a 2-seed, you'd think the committee would try to place them at a school that, unlike Bucknell, wasn't on spring break this week.

Interesting tidbit from an article about Dayton's NIT hopes:
"The Flyers, who have made 22 appearances in the event (second most all-time behind St. John’s), probably would have to start on the road because of the NCAA First Four games at UD Arena on Tuesday and Wednesday. That’s what happened last season when the Flyers lost at Charleston (S.C.) in a first-round game.

UD has asked for a waiver from the NIT to start at home Thursday, but that’s typically when the second round begins. The same request was denied last season and is expected to be again."
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/springfield-oh-s...

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-11-12 01:51 PM - Post#125291    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

New from from NITology: Bucknell a 7-seed, 2-seeds are Northwestern, Iona, Tennessee, Mississippi

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-11-12 05:22 PM - Post#125300    

Two more after St Bonaventure beats Xavier this afternoon:
NIT-ology: Bucknell vs Mississippi State (other 2-seeds are Northwestern, Iona, Tennessee)
http://nitology.com/bracket31112.html

Big Apple Buckets: Bucknell vs Tennessee (other 2's are Ole Miss, Dayton, Miami).
http://nycbuckets.com/2012/03/final-nit-bra cket-pr...

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
03-11-12 09:14 PM - Post#125355    

Arizona on Wednesday. Anybody close enough to go?

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 02-11-06
03-11-12 09:15 PM - Post#125356    

It's official. Bucknell's an 8-seed going up against #1 seed Arizona Wed. night.

One nice thing is that the game is on ESPN2 and thus truly available on a national basis instead of being relegated to a 'sports tier' ESPNU or ESPN3.
Will Atlas shrug? Who is John Galt?

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
NIT Bracket
03-11-12 09:29 PM - Post#125360    
    In response to Bison54

• Bison54 Said:
Arizona on Wednesday. Anybody close enough to go?

Considering Arizona is on Planet Earth...yes.

Edited by BisonRoadWarrior on 03-11-12 09:58 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-11-12 09:44 PM - Post#125367    

For some reason, Valpo got a 7 seed - despite a worse RPI than Bucknell, a worse record, a number of bad losses, a worse ooc SOS, a worse loss in their conference tournament, and a much worse ooc RPI. Moving BU up one spot would have given them a game at Miami instead.

It doesn't look like the committee spends a whole lot of time on the lowest seeds.

JPM 
Masters Student
JPM
Reg: 05-20-08
03-11-12 09:54 PM - Post#125375    
    In response to Bison137

Valpo played Arizona at the beginning of the season.

Nonetheless, the NIT committee should have given BU the 7th seed and sent them to Miami. They could have then sent Valpo to Washington and Texas-Arlington to Arizona.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-11-12 09:56 PM - Post#125377    
    In response to Bison137

Agree that some of seedings are not totally logical. Also, how did George Mason not make the field?

So what are the chances that Bucknell pulls an upset? 10-20%?

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-11-12 09:58 PM - Post#125378    
    In response to JPM

• JPM Said:

Nonetheless, the NIT committee should have given BU the 7th seed and sent them to Miami. They could have then sent Valpo to Washington and Texas-Arlington to Arizona.

But after we dropped Miami like we did in the first Orange Bowl, we'd have faced the winner of La Salle/Minnesota.
http://www.ncaa.com/content/2012-nit-brac ket

JPM 
Masters Student
JPM
Reg: 05-20-08
03-11-12 10:10 PM - Post#125387    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • JPM Said:

But after we dropped Miami like we did in the first Orange Bowl, we'd have faced the winner of La Salle/Minnesota.
http://www.ncaa.com/content/2012-nit-brac ket

Good point. You could have put BU in the bottom half of its bracket as the #7 playing at Ole Miss and sent Illinois St. To Miami. That could have set up a second round game against Stanford. Now Bravman has to wait until the finals of the bracket for a potential game against Stanford.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
NIT Bracket
03-11-12 10:23 PM - Post#125396    
    In response to JPM

• JPM Said:
Now Bravman has to wait until the finals of the bracket for a potential game against Stanford.

I like your thinking! At least he won't have to travel as far, with the game at Madison Square Garden.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-11-12 10:26 PM - Post#125398    
    In response to JPM

I am sure the team is happy with the draw, as Arizona is a nice little destination for a Spring Break game. Personally, I am bummed we aren't playing Seton Hall. I think the committee viewed Seton Hall as the #1 team in the field and Stony Brook as worse than Bucknell. As a result, Stony Brook got SHU. If you asked me, the advantage of playing in NJ would've outweighed the disadvantage of playing a slightly better team. But, for the players' sake, I am happy they will get a true tournament road trip after last year's bus ride to DC. I only wish we had a bigger alumni base in Arizona.

I guess it's my east coast bias, but I can't say I know a whole lot about Arizona other than that they were a very good athletic team LAST year.

Being on ESPN2 is a nice plus.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-11-12 11:05 PM - Post#125424    

American to host Buffalo in the CIT.

Not sure how this American team made a postseason tourney and the 2007 Bison didn't...

AU_Hoops 
Pre-Frosh
AU_Hoops
Reg: 03-12-12
03-12-12 12:24 AM - Post#125441    
    In response to BUFan

• BUFan Said:

Not sure how this American team made a postseason tourney and the 2007 Bison didn't...

CIT didn't exist in 2007, and I think it was the first year of the CBI. If these tournaments weren't around today it would be very unlikely AU would be in the postseason either.
AU hail the mighty AU Eagles

norcalfan 
Junior

Reg: 03-19-08
03-12-12 02:57 AM - Post#125449    
    In response to BUFan

• BUFan Said:
For the teams though, you'd have to imagine the NCAA picks up some of the tab.

Yes that would be the case. Family, friends and die hard fans get ripped off. They are playing on the emotions of those who want to see their sons play in a tournament. Greed.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
03-12-12 06:45 AM - Post#125455    
    In response to norcalfan

• norcalfan Said:
  • BUFan Said:
For the teams though, you'd have to imagine the NCAA picks up some of the tab.

Yes that would be the case. Family, friends and die hard fans get ripped off. They are playing on the emotions of those who want to see their sons play in a tournament. Greed.

Blame the Greed on the airlines, they are the ones with the outrageous policy for last minute travel. I do not think the NIT/NCAA has any control over travel costs for family & fans, nor should they.
Ray Bucknell!

atlantabison 
PhD Student

03-12-12 06:49 AM - Post#125456    
    In response to atlantabison

I am not sure what to think about an Arizona match-up. On one hand you think you would be more likely to see a let down effort from a team that was really on the bubble and thought they might get in and are now disappointed to be in the NIT. But on the other side some of those teams will play with a chip on their shoulder.

Arizona knew it wouldn't make it unless it won it league tournament and they almost did. Losing the final to Colorado. We might be getting a team playing on a roll at the end of the year or we might be getting a team that was so close they could taste it and then came up short and didn't regroup in time.
Ray Bucknell!

atlantabison 
PhD Student

03-12-12 07:04 AM - Post#125457    
    In response to AU_Hoops

• AU_Hoops Said:
  • BUFan Said:

CIT didn't exist in 2007, and I think it was the first year of the CBI. If these tournaments weren't around today it would be very unlikely AU would be in the postseason either.

Interesting that the CIT has zero big six conference teams and the CBI only three by my quick count. These tournaments do seem to provide mid-majors with something the NIT is not willing to or not interested in.
Ray Bucknell!

PLHoopsFan 
Freshman

Reg: 02-28-11
03-12-12 09:22 AM - Post#125465    
    In response to atlantabison

I do know that teams have to PAY to host games in the CBI and the CIT. It's actually a pretty steep fee. It's actually probably cheaper to play a road game in those tournaments than hosting one. I only know this because Navy was possibly going to be in one in 2009 (when we went 19-11) and the fee to host was astronomical, and there was NO WAY we could match the requirement for money made from the game.

In the history of the tournament, there has been ZERO schools from a power-six conference to be in the tournament, and was expanded to 32 teams this year for some reason. The only criteria is a winning record, since they obviously don't care much about facilities (hence American hosting) or anything else.

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.222 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:40 PM