Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Jeff Foote of the New Orleans Hornets        (Topic#13329)
mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
03-09-12 12:46 AM - Post#125083    

Local reports are that Jeff Foote will be signed by the New Orleans Hornets. http://today.14850.com/stories/0308-jeff-foo te

As soon as he steps foot on the court, he will become the first Cornellian to play in the association since 1950 (or thereabouts). Not bad for a kid who walked-on, did not play for a single minute at Bona, and basically walked-on to the Cornell team.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
03-09-12 10:07 AM - Post#125099    
    In response to mountainred

Good for him. Wretched spot to be put into - that franchise is a vortex right now - but maybe that gives him all the more opportunity to stick.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Jeff Foote of the New Orleans Hornets
03-09-12 10:52 AM - Post#125106    
    In response to pennhoops

Big congrats to Jeff. I haven't watched him play since he graduated, so I'm eager to see the advances in his game, especially on the offensive end.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-09-12 11:14 AM - Post#125112    
    In response to gokinsmen

BRF must be orgasmic.

Penn94 
PhD Student

Loc: Dallas, Texas
03-09-12 12:56 PM - Post#125130    
    In response to Chip Bayers

If you're going to get your first shot, might as well do it with a team that is so awful and beset with injuries that he will get some PT in non-pressure situations. Good for him. You can't teach height.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
03-09-12 03:36 PM - Post#125148    
    In response to Chip Bayers

• Chip Bayers Said:
BRF must be orgasmic.

I tried to go to his site, but I got a NSFW warning.

RedRover 
Freshman

Reg: 02-16-12
03-09-12 08:15 PM - Post#125180    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

This is totally awesome and well-deserved for Foote. However, I'm not sure that this is a particularly good NBA opportunity for Foote, or anybody for that matter. The player the Hornets waived to make room for Foote - Solomon Jones - played about as well as you could expect a guy on two 10-day contracts. I have a hunch that he was cut because the Hornets (who are of course, currently owned by the NBA) didn't want to have to pay him for the rest of the year. Signing another player to one or two 10-day contracts is cheaper and offers more flexibility. Also, there are rumors that the Hornets are planning on taking 2-3 players back in an imminent Kaman trade, which would also necessitate cutting Foote immediately.

Still, given the injury problems the Hornets have, it would be awesome if Foote could get some playing time. Even if the Hornets can't keep him long-term, hopefully he'll make a good impression and accrue valuable experience, so he'll be able to catch on elsewhere if need be.

Really looking forward to watching Foote's NBA debut tonight!

pennhoops 
Postdoc

03-10-12 10:14 AM - Post#125206    
    In response to RedRover

But then what would you expect out of a 10 day? 98 out of 100 outcomes are the D-League. Mike James had some very solid games for the Bulls on two separate 10 days and is still treated as basically a taxi squad player. That might be the best thing to hope for: impressing a team to the point that you're on-call, so to speak. It's virtually impossible to stick.

RedRover 
Freshman

03-10-12 11:28 AM - Post#125209    
    In response to pennhoops

Umm, you can't just make up facts and statistics like that.

According to this article, one-third of players signed to 10-day contracts last year were signed for the rest of the season. Your "98%" quote is complete BS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/sports/bas ketbal...

lk34 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 03-10-12
03-10-12 11:46 AM - Post#125211    
    In response to pennhoops

Have to agree with RedRover's first (and second) post. Wanted to post exact same thing on Cornell blog, but didn't want to destroy their happiness or unnecessarily discourage Foote, since there are still some reasons to be hopeful.

In 2010, at least 8 of the 27 call-ups (30%) ended up with season-long contracts. So it was hard, but not impossible. In 2011, rate was similar but don't know numbers.

Might have details wrong, but I think the Hornets' current situation is: 2 available roster spots (including counting injured players); wanted to trade the Kaman for 2 to 3 young, moldable players, hopefully trade Kaman for draft spots.

Kaman was part of a package deal. They had little use for him, deactivated him & tried to trade him. But other teams have been reluctant to trade for a big when there's a possibility that Dwight Howard might become available. And then Kaman was reactivated last month & has been averaging almost a double-double. With trade difficulties & his performance, the probability of him being traded has been reducing over time.

Solomon Jones was a 27yo 6-year NBA veteran. If the Hornets are looking for moldable rookies, and if there's an increasing possibility that Kaman might not be traded, as planned, for 2-3 people to occupy the free roster spots, you don't want to crush Foote's hopes entirely. He should also just play hard in hopes of attracting other teams.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

03-10-12 12:59 PM - Post#125222    
    In response to RedRover

• RedRover Said:
Umm, you can't just make up facts and statistics like that.

According to this article, one-third of players signed to 10-day contracts last year were signed for the rest of the season. Your "98%" quote is complete BS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/sports/bas ketbal...

Calm down. You're making an uneven analogy. (67% instead of 98%. Poor odds, still.) Last season is a third longer than this one. There have been 30 callups this season. How many of them are still around?

Edited by pennhoops on 03-10-12 01:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedRover 
Freshman

Re: Jeff Foote of the New Orleans Hornets
03-10-12 02:17 PM - Post#125230    
    In response to pennhoops

I'm perfectly calm, but wanted to clearly rebuke your ridiculous "98%" claim. Sharing different opinions is great, but there's no reason to contrive statistics or facts. Further, to state the obvious, there is a big difference between 67% and 98%.

As for this season, we won't know who will stick (or for that matter, all of the players who are called up) until the year is over. I don't have the time or inclination to look up every player right now, but off the top of my head, since Lance Thomas (who looked terrific last night for the Hornets) and Jamaal Tinsley are on NBA rosters, at the very least, the "stick rate" in 2011-12 will almost certainly be better than the 2% you cited as fact. Further, a drop from 30% to 2% wouldn't make a lot of sense anyways, even in a strike-shortened season.

Thanks to lk34 for the insight on the Hornets; I wasn't a fan before two days ago, so it's good to learn what the organization's strategy might be.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-10-12 02:50 PM - Post#125237    
    In response to RedRover

I, for one, hope he sticks. But then again, I want Ibby Jaaber in the NBA as well. I will root for any Ivy player getting to the NBA. Don't see how it makes any sense to feel differently.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

03-10-12 04:56 PM - Post#125245    
    In response to RedRover

• RedRover Said:
I'm perfectly calm, but wanted to clearly rebuke your ridiculous "98%" claim. Sharing different opinions is great, but there's no reason to contrive statistics or facts. Further, to state the obvious, there is a big difference between 67% and 98%.

As for this season, we won't know who will stick (or for that matter, all of the players who are called up) until the year is over. I don't have the time or inclination to look up every player right now, but off the top of my head, since Lance Thomas (who looked terrific last night for the Hornets) and Jamaal Tinsley are on NBA rosters, at the very least, the "stick rate" in 2011-12 will almost certainly be better than the 2% you cited as fact. Further, a drop from 30% to 2% wouldn't make a lot of sense anyways, even in a strike-shortened season.

Thanks to lk34 for the insight on the Hornets; I wasn't a fan before two days ago, so it's good to learn what the organization's strategy might be.

Okay, you citing Jamaal Tinsley as an example of the success potential of players on 10 days is as ridiculous as mistaking 98% for 67%.

Look, Foote's got one really favorable thing going for him: his contract will go through the trade deadline. If Kaman's dealt, the need for him is all the greater.

RedRover 
Freshman

03-10-12 06:04 PM - Post#125247    
    In response to pennhoops

• pennhoops Said:

Okay, you citing Jamaal Tinsley as an example of the success potential of players on 10 days is as ridiculous as mistaking 98% for 67%.

No it isn't. Tinsley is on an NBA roster making the veteran's minimum ($1.23 million), and not in the D-League. Given that Tinsley is a veteran, an extra year of service makes a difference with his pension, too. That is successful. The issue here was whether a player sticks for the year, not whether they end up as an all-star. Further, Tinsley is not representative of a mere 2% of D-League call-ups who end up sticking for the year, as you wrongfully claimed. So, there's no use pointing to a single player anyways. I realize Tinsley wasn't signed to a 10-day contract initially, but his contract wasn't guaranteed until February, and he could have been cut at any time, so the same principles apply.

You have egg on your face here. Please let it go and stop bringing down this thread.

Edited by RedRover on 03-10-12 06:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

03-10-12 07:22 PM - Post#125251    
    In response to RedRover

The Pacers were paying Tinsley to NOT PLAY ON THEIR TEAM. He couldn't break into the Memphis team that had to resort to trying Allen Iverson at the point. If he's producing for Utah it's a lucky break for them.

If you want the truth written like you want it to sound go back to BRF's site.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-10-12 07:35 PM - Post#125252    
    In response to pennhoops

I'm really confused as to why people are arguing about this. I think Foote has a good shot at sticking. I couldn't tell the difference between him and Kaman. Obviously, that's not saying much given the state of Kaman's game these days, but I think that says enough to like Foote's chances of lasting beyond the 10-day contract. I like that he's getting some run too - looks like he'll get the chance to prove himself, rather than being stashed on the bench for a few games and then sent back down.

RedRover 
Freshman

03-10-12 07:54 PM - Post#125254    
    In response to mrjames

I'm not sure what BigPennFan's problem is either. He claimed that only 2 percent of players on 10-day contracts end up sticking with the team that called. Fortunately for Foote, that statement was easily be exposed as false. Whether you're looking at 10-day contracts or D-League callups in general, claiming that 98% end in failure was completely absurd. If you're going to cite facts that are egregiously wrong in a public forum, you can expect to be corrected.

Fixating on Tinsley is a red herring. I just mentioned him as a quick example of someone who has gone from the D-League to a full-year NBA contract this year. If someone wants to chart the fates of D-League call-ups and 10-day contracts this year, that would be great. Regardless, as it has in the past, the success rate will be much higher than the 2% that pennhoops claimed as fact.

My initial post suggested some organizational factors (possible Kaman trade, penny-pinching owners) that may be working against any 10-day player sticking with New Orleans. I was pleasantly surprised to see Foote get so much burn last night. Hopefully it happens again, and he's able to stick in New Orleans despite my initial concerns about the organizational context.

Also, I was thinking today that a benefit of the compressed season for Foote, is that more games are played over the course of 10 days.

Edited by RedRover on 03-10-12 07:58 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

03-10-12 08:09 PM - Post#125255    
    In response to RedRover

• RedRover Said:
I'm not sure what BigPennFan's problem is either. He claimed that only 2 percent of players on 10-day contracts end up sticking with the team that called. Fortunately for Foote, that statement was easily be exposed as false. Whether you're looking at 10-day contracts or D-League callups in general, claiming that 98% end in failure was completely absurd. If you're going to cite facts that are egregiously wrong in a public forum, you can expect to be corrected.

Fixating on Tinsley is a red herring. I just mentioned him as a quick example of someone who has gone from the D-League to a full-year NBA contract this year. If someone wants to chart the fates of D-League call-ups and 10-day contracts this year, that would be great. Regardless, as it has in the past, the success rate will be much higher than the 2% that pennhoops claimed as fact.

My initial post suggested some organizational factors (possible Kaman trade, penny-pinching owners) that may be working against any 10-day player sticking with New Orleans. I was pleasantly surprised to see Foote get so much burn last night. Hopefully it happens again, and he's able to stick in New Orleans despite my initial concerns about the organizational context.

Also, I was thinking today that a benefit of the compressed season for Foote, is that more games are played over the course of 10 days.

Dude, stop getting on red herrings. I acknowledged the 98% thing was wrong. It was uncited hyperbole. You're the one who won't leave it alone and is using crappy evidence to support yourself. Go back and look at everything I've said in this thread that's actually about the topic. Where have I been anything but encouraging of Foote? If you want to read my pointing out that the Hornets $uck as a slight of Foote, be my guest. I would have (and would actually continue to) say the same thing about the Knicks but that doesn't mean Lin's not performing well. Your weird defensiveness is, well, that. Weird. I'm rooting for Foote. Stop harping in order to start fights.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

03-10-12 08:11 PM - Post#125256    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
I'm really confused as to why people are arguing about this. I think Foote has a good shot at sticking. I couldn't tell the difference between him and Kaman. Obviously, that's not saying much given the state of Kaman's game these days, but I think that says enough to like Foote's chances of lasting beyond the 10-day contract. I like that he's getting some run too - looks like he'll get the chance to prove himself, rather than being stashed on the bench for a few games and then sent back down.

The reason you're confused is that the argument isn't about Foote. It's about tertiary details and an admittedly silly exaggeration that someone's decided to read as a personal affront.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.191 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:17 AM