Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: The Columbia Classic (part 2)        (Topic#14)
The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
11-21-04 09:15 PM - Post#74    

The first thing I notice on seeing Columbia's freshmen is that Mack Montgomery has Ludacris hair and Brett Loscalzo has ludicrous hair. He reminds me of a 1970s ad for The Dry Look. Why can't things be like when I went to Columbia and everyone either had a mohawk or dyed his hair green? These kids today . . .

Nwachukwu starts and seems a bit disoriented, which is hardly surprising considering that it's his first game. He grabs a rebound and commits a foul and then Jones takes him out. After five minutes, the Lancers, behind three consecutive three-pointers, have taken a 28-19 lead. Columbia calls time out and then pounds the ball inside to Preston about 10 times in row. By halftime they are leading 40-34.

Early in the second half, Longwood pulls to within two. The student section starts clapping and chanting "Defense!" on every enemy possession, but they always end up pushing the beat until they sound like a bunch of folkies trying to keep up at a Ramones concert. Then I pick up a copy of Spectator and see a story called "Red Bull, Red Eyes: Caffeine Fuels Campus":

http://www.columbiaspectator.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/11/19/419d9902956c0?in_archive=1

and it all starts to make sense.

With 12:30 left, the Mackster scores a three-pointer off a nifty behind-the-back assist from Tito Hill to give the Lions a 50-46 lead. The Lancers hang tough, but Columbia slowly pulls away, taking a 70-60 lead by the four-minute mark. With 9.7 seconds left and Columbia holding an 80-67 lead, Longwood calls time out, but their plans for a 13-point play do not work out, and the final score is Columbia 82, Longwood 69.

Among the freshmen, Loscalzo (starting) and Montgomery (off the bench) looked pretty solid; Nwachukwu started and played about 10 minutes but didn't do much (the accent in his name is on the first syllable, by the way); Kashif Sweet was in for a few minutes and was pretty quiet; and I don't think Baumann or Armstrong played. Kravic and Boswell played and did not seem affected by their recent injuries, but Drew Baron was on crutches and another guy whom I did not recognize (Baumann, perhaps?) was in street clothes.

P.S. Longwood University actually does exist. It's in Farmville, Virginia. You can get an idea of what kind of a place it is by going to the university's web site: The home page has a big announcement about a Roy Clark concert.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: The Columbia Classic (part 2)
11-21-04 09:38 PM - Post#75    
    In response to The Lion King

Somewhere, I read, heard that the man on crutches was Baumann. Don't actually know.

Anonymous 

Re: the player on crutches
11-22-04 05:11 PM - Post#76    
    In response to internetter

was indeed Baumann. He has a stress fracture; it is hoped he'll be back by the Ivy Season.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.122 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:53 AM