Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn Report Card....A Tour De Fran        (Topic#140)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
12-04-04 08:47 PM - Post#645    

For those of us who are critical of the coach, he pitched a masterpiece today. Twice Penn was on the verge of a meltdown and twice Penn called time, made significant changes and went on a run. The use of different lineups, different defenses (for example, after LaSalle cut the lead to 1, Penn played zone, man and zone on the next 3 LaSalle possessions, and LaSalle was totally confused) and the impassioned play of Begley, Zoller, Danley and Ibby beat the spirits of LaSalle so badly that they just up and quit with 3 minutes left----letting Penn run out the clock in a mysterious strategy of waiting 30 seconds and then fouling, giving Penn another 35. For those who watch the game critically (and you know who I am talking about), this was a coaching tour de force. The Penn students actually began chanting "Dunphy, Dunphy" in the final minutes. Good win against a much better team than I had anticipated playing (Steve Smith is probably the best player in Philadelphia). And now for the grades:

Begley...A+++. An UNBELIEVABLE game for Tim---career high 29 points, with 8 rebounds and 7 assists---each of which led the team. The desperation off balance "3" he hit with LaSalle threatening to take the lead was one of the greatest shots I have ever seen. Even more than that, though, was the stability he brought to the team and the fire he had when Penn seemed to be dragging. He was a machine on offense and a true leader. This was the best game I have seen from a Quaker since MJ put together a few back in the day.

Zoller--A. Got a few quick fouls and was not a major factor in the first half....but what a second half he had. The man has an unbelievable eye for garbage. On 3 separate occasions, he scooped up a loose rebound and put it back in. He too was a stabilizing force, making smart moves, not forcing the action and kicked it out for a bunch of key assists on 3's.

Ibby---A. His defense remains a marvel as he hounds his man backwards or takes it away. I counted 4 steals today, but his defense forced many more turnovers than that. Getting more consistent with the outside shot and makes very few mistakes on offense.

Danley---B+. I was leaning towards an A too, since he made Smith work for everything. However, he forced a few plays inside when LaSalle was on a run, and I would like to see him kick it out when he draws a double. Hits his foul shots like clockwork....great defensive footwork....he stayed in front of Smith no matter what, even when Smith made some fakes that would have taken Chubb out of his shoes.

Fikiel---B. Played decently in the first half, did a great job getting over to help Danley on the double of Smith. Made a few offensive errors in the second half and then Zoller got hot, so did not play much down the stretch. Contributed well when Penn built its initial lead...Penn played great team defense over the first 10 minutes of the game and he was a major factor in that.

Oz...C. Gave us stability, hit a 3....not much else. I really was bothered by how easily he was taken out of the defense with the pick....he has to fight through the picks better. I also want to see him drive the lane. We know he can do that and would lead to easy baskets.

Kach....B-. Hit a nice open 3....blew a layup when he didn't know exactly what to do after faking out his man. He's a freshman and it shows, but the kid will be a good one.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Re: Penn Report Card....A Tour De Fran
12-04-04 10:10 PM - Post#646    
    In response to palestra38

You forgot Pettinella, who had, in my opinion, his best game as a Quaker. Which brings me back to your evaluation of the coaching. Overall, not many complains. However, Jan simply should not have been out there in the second half; the other three guys all played outstanding. Like I said, one of Dunphy's better jobs, but still some holes.

Also, if your guards can't cover the weak side 3, you can't double down 20 feet from the basket, especially w/ Danley doing such a good job manning Smith straight up.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-05-04 03:29 AM - Post#647    
    In response to palestra38

If there was any doubt going in, now that we have a game decided by less than 30 we know that Fran has 8 guys who get on the court with the game in doubt. Whitehurst & Ebede are the odd guys out barring major foul trouble.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

12-05-04 05:08 AM - Post#648    
    In response to Streamers

In the league, I don't even know how much fouls would change that. Based on the last few years, he'll either put Jan at the 3 if a guard is in foul trouble, or he'll play 4 guards if a big is in foul trouble.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.255 seconds.   Total Queries: 19   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:40 PM