Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Hang in there, men        (Topic#14249)
hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
01-06-13 02:04 PM - Post#138944    

Boy, after a great decisive win vs Maine in their home opener, it's been a tough go for this young squad. I have to say I thought they'd be better than 2 - 10 at this point (maybe 4 - 8 or even 5 - 7). I keep coming back, though... Not sure to what degree the numbers show it, but I sense this team is moving forward. During the previous coaching tenure I stopped following the team because it was just too negative, and, I confess I no longer feel a strong need to watch all of the current teams home games in person (at least until league play begins), but despite the woeful record and a 16-point home loss to Colgate last night, I'm still interested. They are so young and even on their worst of nights, there is always at least one or two positive things. Sometimes a new young player or two will step up and have a good game. I hope the coaching staff can come up with a way to get ALL their youngins to play to their potential on game nights. The reality is they need everyone to play great to win.

Anyone know about incoming recruits? Because, while the talent level has certainly increased these last few years with coach PC at the helm, it is apparent that they will need to continue bringing in classes as good as the last two--or even better--to reverse their losing ways.

Edited by hoopla on 01-06-13 02:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lanepasser 
Freshman

Reg: 10-03-12
Re: Hang in there, men
01-07-13 10:26 AM - Post#138994    
    In response to hoopla

From what I have seen of Dartmouth so far this year tells me they will continue to struggle with the present format. The addition of Conor Boehm to the starting lineup has improved their offense as Gaba Maldunas comes off the bench to provide with another offensive surge. Tyler Melville has been solid as of late at the 1 and 2 positions. The biggest problem I see though is at the point. While the two freshman playing the point so far are much better players then we have had in the past there is litterally no threat to penetrate by Alex Mitola and what he gives up on the defensive side is much more significant then his abilty to shoot 25 footers. I do not see dartmouth as much of a threat without the ability to penetrate and break down defenses. Malik Gill has the ability to break down a defense with his speed but plays too out of conrtol to be relied upon on a full time basis, his defense helps quite a bit but only in flashes as it seems he tires way to easily. I think I would rather see Tyler control the ball at PG and get some of the bigger bodies in there to help on boards,ie: Tommy Carpenter, Kevin Crescenzi,Brandon McDonnell and Matt Rennie, Dartmouth will fair much better in the 14 game tourney with these guys getting more of the minutes.

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
01-07-13 11:52 AM - Post#139001    
    In response to lanepasser

Interesting... I semi agree. I agree that Alex isn't really able to penetrate, but on the other hand I think there is no one better/more steady and reliable on the ball than him. That said, with the Big Green's shooting struggles, the notion of moving Alex to the 2 is intriguing... He is starting to shoot better and we know he is an awesome shooter. I believe he is the all-time 3 point shooter in NJ high school history (I believe I heard this or saw it on a media guide, unless I was dreaming). Perhaps he can be like a Joey Accaoui from UVM, who I enjoyed watching throughout his career, who was also extremely short... The thing about Malik is that he would be so much better if he simply eliminated his unforced errors. Sure, he would benefit from working on his shooting, but even if he never ever shot the ball he would be a real asset simply by eliminating his ill-advised drives into the bigs, which very often result in him getting rejected and/or turning it over. B/c what he does bring--super human speed, an ability to create advantages and openings for his teammates, outstanding on-ball D--is MORE than enough to be a major help to this squad. Most freshmen need to improve various skills to be assets to their teams--but all Malik has to do is lop off the negatives (I know, I know, easier said than done). Melville may be good starting at point, but he hasn't really grabbed the spot in my opinion. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

lanepasser 
Freshman

Reg: 10-03-12
01-07-13 01:27 PM - Post#139004    
    In response to hoopla

I like Alex at the 2 but not for 30 plus minutes a game, the stress on others for help defense puts such a strain on our bigs who wind up in foul trouble. For me if he is used in spots when we need a surrge he becomes much more of a weapon and certainly more effective for the team, good luck trying to find him on the run with fresh legs in spurts. Tyler is steady but not dynamic ,I agree, I just think he is a more steady player agianst the ivies as he has experience in the league and will make less mistakes.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.014 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:58 AM