Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: No 5th year for Errick Peck        (Topic#14503)
mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
02-16-13 10:34 AM - Post#142823    

The rumors had been out there for a while, but Errick Peck made it official that he's graduating this spring and will be looking to play his 5th year at another school. Peck said his appeal was denied, though BRF insists it was a financial aid matter. Either way, this is Errick's last trip around the league.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-16-13 03:08 PM - Post#142849    
    In response to mountainred

Terrible news. Happy to hear he'll get a shot at another season somewhere as a grad student, but hate to see talent leaving the league. We need all we can get.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
Re: No 5th year for Errick Peck
02-22-13 09:25 AM - Post#143429    
    In response to mountainred

• mountainred Said:
Peck said his appeal was denied, though BRF insists it was a financial aid matter. Either way, this is Errick's last trip around the league.

I'm late to this discussion. What was he appealing? And how would a successful appeal have enabled him to play another year in Ithaca?

mrjames 
Professor

Re: No 5th year for Errick Peck
02-22-13 10:27 AM - Post#143436    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

He lost what would have been his junior year to injury.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

02-22-13 12:21 PM - Post#143448    
    In response to mrjames

But he can play an additional year at another school (as a grad student)? But not at Cornell?

mrjames 
Professor

02-22-13 01:13 PM - Post#143459    

Ivy rule that you can't play as a grad student. So, he'd have to do a 5th year as an undergrad (potentially expensive and the reason why some have said it's an FA issue). If he was declined the injury waiver and petition for 5th year (I'd love to hear why - he has a clear case), then he doesn't even have the option to pay for the 5th year, he would explicitly be out of Ivy eligibility. He could play immediately at any other school as a grad student next year, though.

Have to imagine the big front runner is BC.

IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

Loc: Central Florida
Reg: 11-19-09
02-22-13 02:55 PM - Post#143471    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
He could play immediately at any other school as a grad student next year, though.

Yeah, I'd love to see Peck play along side Ryan Anderson and Eddie Odio for a year.

Donahue has BC playing better than many thought they would this year. They have their share of wins against the mid-tier ACC schools, plus a couple one-point home losses to ACC Top-Two, Miami and Duke.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

02-22-13 05:23 PM - Post#143483    
    In response to IvyBballFan

Can't play as a grad student. That's nuts. So I guess a fifth-year M&T student at Penn could play. (Not that M&T students have a whole lot of extra time on their hands.)

Northwestern had a center about 10-15 years ago was a grad student. Hell of a player, too. Gave Bobby Knight fits.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
02-22-13 05:44 PM - Post#143485    

Only the Ivy League can find a way to punish a kid for graduating on time.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 01-06-11
02-22-13 06:15 PM - Post#143487    
    In response to IvyBballFan

• IvyBballFan Said:
  • mrjames Said:
He could play immediately at any other school as a grad student next year, though.

Yeah, I'd love to see Peck play along side Ryan Anderson and Eddie Odio for a year.

Donahue has BC playing better than many thought they would this year. They have their share of wins against the mid-tier ACC schools, plus a couple one-point home losses to ACC Top-Two, Miami and Duke.

Andrew Van Nest is making the most of this kind of opportunity now. He barely had any minutes last year (largely due to injuries) and is now getting significant minutes as backup to BC's center. Here's a piece of commentary from the recent BC-Duke Game:

"Plumlee…a miss, bothered by Van Nest. Great double team and great no call…Van Nest & Odio…Van Nest has come in and given them positive minutes. Been active, especially on the defensive end, and in spelling Clifford here is doing a really good job. Van Nest played 3 years at Harvard, including last year’s Ivy Championship. Earned his degree with a year of eligibility remaining. So, a 5th year senior from Boston College giving them a boost tonight."

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

02-23-13 12:20 PM - Post#143612    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
Ivy rule that you can't play as a grad student. So, he'd have to do a 5th year as an undergrad (potentially expensive and the reason why some have said it's an FA issue). If he was declined the injury waiver and petition for 5th year (I'd love to hear why - he has a clear case), then he doesn't even have the option to pay for the 5th year, he would explicitly be out of Ivy eligibility. He could play immediately at any other school as a grad student next year, though.

I guess when Peck got hurt he should have just left campus for the year and then come back when he was healthy. Then he would get his 5th year. It seems ridiculous that at an Ivy League school it's better for your basketball career to be accused of cheating and leave school for a year than to get injured and stay in school for a year.

mrjames 
Professor

02-23-13 03:29 PM - Post#143629    
    In response to Howard Gensler

I don't disagree. His appeal shouldn't have been denied. I still think FA is more plausible, but the kid said himself that it was due to losing the appeal for the 5th year, and he'd know best.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 01-06-11
04-24-13 02:45 AM - Post#148537    
    In response to mrjames

Peck is listed on the CBS Sports transfer list, so let's see where he lands. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blo g/ey...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.223 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:19 AM