Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ian Hummer's Pro Prospects        (Topic#14666)
gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
03-15-13 01:40 AM - Post#146025    

Not to compare every elite Ivy player to the only Ivy player currently in the NBA...but I do see a lot of similarities between Hummer and Lin.

1) All-around stat-stuffers who are good at almost everything without excelling in any single area. Too many college stars flop in the NBA and top pro leagues because they don't know how to contribute without scoring or without the ball.

2) Requisite athleticism for the next level. Another big stumbling block for Ivy prospects. Even by BCS standards, Hummer and Lin were good solid athletes. And as a result, both would thrive in a more up-tempo offense.

3) History of playing well against BCS teams. Both Hummer and Lin rose to the occasion and held their own against more athletic, higher-profile competition, including an eye-catching "Wow" performance (Lin against UConn, Hummer against FSU).

4) Both had the same weaknesses -- turnovers and tweener status -- so perhaps they're surmountable. Lin had the size of a PG but the skills of a SF. Hummer has the body of a SF but the skills of a PF. Lin had to improve his court-vision and long-range jumper. Hummer will have to improve his handle and mid-range jumper.

It's obviously a super-long shot no matter what, but I see some signs that Hummer could beat the odds. Judson Wallace is currently a rotation player on an elite Euro team (FC Barcelona), and Hummer is far better than Wallace (as good as he was at Princeton).

With a good showing at Portsmouth, maybe Petrie invites him to Kings Summer League. Or since he's from the DC area, Randy Wittman gets him on the Wizards SL team...

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-15-13 03:47 AM - Post#146030    
    In response to gokinsmen

It would be exciting to watch Hummer in the NBA. I think he has the drive to do what is necessary to improve his outside shooting (I don't know how much he can do about his dribbling at this stage). Interesting to see if he can defend pro small forwards on a consistent basis. No question that he would be a part-of-the-solution player rather than a part-of-the-problem type--whatever the team needs or the coaches ask. Still a longshot.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Ian Hummer's Pro Prospects
04-05-13 09:33 PM - Post#147932    
    In response to SRP

Hummer NOT on the Portsmouth Invitational rosters!

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/ROSTERS.htm...

A conference player of the year with superb all-around stats wasn't good enough? But apparently a pair of 2nd Team forwards from the Big West and OVC were? Okay. I don't think Hummer would decline an invite if he got one, so this would be a pretty cold snub.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
04-05-13 10:18 PM - Post#147936    
    In response to gokinsmen

I think his problem is he's a tweener in scouts minds, especially defensively. Not really big enough to muscle up with an NBA "4" and not quick enough to stop an NBA "3" from getting by him.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 04-05-13 10:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-10-13 09:27 PM - Post#149931    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Hummer doing work(outs)!

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/2013/06/07/33666/

Suns, Lakers, Warriors and Kings for now.

Hoping his "glue-guy" skill-set can land him a Summer League roster spot. The Kings could certainly use him (even with Petrie gone) -- they're a mess of seflish and/or disorganized gunners.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 01-06-11
Re: Ian Hummer's Pro Prospects
06-11-13 03:11 AM - Post#149938    
    In response to gokinsmen

I'm pulling for him, too.

The challenge when a "team player" like Hummer is on an NBA Summer League roster is that seemingly all the other guys are playing one-on-one show off ball, so a team player can get lost in the mix. Last summer, I remember seeing Keith Wright set screens for his teammates, to their benefit (and surprise) and I wondered if this was noticed at all by the coaches and scouts. Two years earlier, Lin's passing, defense and some key baskets did catch peoples' eyes, particularly when he was matched up against a marquee player, John Wall.

Hummer definitely has the skill set. I'm hoping he gets into the summer league, then gets matched up against one of the "anointed" (like Lin was against Wall) and then he can show his stuff, and hopefully get a roster spot, even if it means that he plays a fair amount of NBADL games, so he gets enough "cred" to get some playing time on and NBA roster.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
06-11-13 11:07 AM - Post#149946    
    In response to H78

Does anyone here have an idea of what the better Europeon leagues pay their players? Assuming that Ian, at best, would be a low minute role player in the NBA, wouldn't he be better off in Europe? Plus, money aside, who in his right mind wouldn't rather be taking short hops around Europe with plenty of incredible attractions in one's time off (not the least of which are its many beautiful and interesting women) than bouncing around the US from one sterile airport motel to another? (Forgive my prejudice -- I just returned from a month in Paris.)

SRP 
Postdoc

06-11-13 06:02 PM - Post#149967    
    In response to Tiger69

Jump Shot. Ian will need to be accurate from 17 feet and ideally would develop a decent three-point shot. The pros generally don't want guys his size to have their defenders clogging up the lane. But if he can knock down jumpers, all his other skills (passing, rebounding, screening, posting up, etc.) will come into play as well--think of a shorter Kevin Love.

I don't know if he can find a defensive position in the NBA. He'll need to work on either banging with bigger guys or keeping up with wings. Of course, those mismatches could work in his favor on the offensive end.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-11-13 10:51 PM - Post#149975    
    In response to SRP

-- I definitely see Ian as a SF at the next level. Sort of a poor man's Andre Iguodala. Or maybe Kawhi Leonard. Jumpers can develop and we've already seen him make progress over the past two years (though he took fewer 3s this year). I could also see him surprising his defenders by posting up down low.

-- As H78 said, if he makes it to Summer League, it would be ideal to see him matched up against a big name player like Otto Porter or Shabazz Muhammad. I worry about his handles and footspeed, but his strength and leaping ability could open some eyes. Forwards who pass can also grab attention.

-- I think Ibby Jaaber turned down a fringe roster spot on the Lakers a couple years ago for a $1M contract in Europe (where he's a non-star starter/6th man). But he has a lot of younger siblings to take care off. A guy like Ian, fresh out of college, would definitely accept a non-guaranteed six-figure sum to be a 12th-15th man.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
06-15-13 09:21 PM - Post#150091    
    In response to gokinsmen

by poor man's Andre Iguodala, do you mean a homeless man with very few options, thinking of turning to a life of crime, perhaps turning tricks?

Because Andre Iguodala and Ian Hummer have essentially nothing in common besides having their first name start with a vowel.

SRP 
Postdoc

06-16-13 04:08 PM - Post#150098    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Kevin Love is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

06-16-13 06:42 PM - Post#150100    
    In response to SRP

Ok, I can picture that.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-16-13 07:00 PM - Post#150101    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Iggy's a 6-6 tweener who can do a little bit of everything on offense without excelling at any one thing. Great hops. Can guard multiple positions. So a poor man's version of that.

I'm not sure how Hummer could be a Kevin Love-type (beyond their skin color). Ian is not a 6-10 high-volume 3pt shooter or monster rebounder.

SRP 
Postdoc

06-16-13 09:57 PM - Post#150104    
    In response to gokinsmen

Ian is a skilled, strong post player with above-average court vision and passing ability. He's an excellent rebounder. My point was that if he added some mid-range or 3-point shooting, then he would be a short Kevin Love. It's an aspiration, not an achievement.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
06-16-13 11:09 PM - Post#150105    
    In response to SRP

I have trouble believing that his post skills would be of much interest to an NBA team. He's just not big enough to exercise those abilities at that level. However, his court vision, passing ability and exceptional basketball IQ could be a valuable asset. Combine that with reliable perimeter shooting and he absolutely has a realistic chance. So Ian better work on his jump shot.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

06-16-13 11:39 PM - Post#150107    
    In response to Silver Maple

Andre Iguodala is one of the most athletic players in the league (set aside he's also one of the 30 or so best whereas Ian Hummer may not make a roster and be one of the 450 or so best). Ian Hummer wasn't one of the 5 most athletic guys in the Ivy League.

Andre Iguodala can play point forward. Ian Hummer can stand at the college 3 point line and distribute backdoor passes. Maybe he's the rich man Spencer Hawes (i do not like Spencer Hawes).

Andre Iguodala is an AWESOME defender. Ian Hummer... so yeah.

Andre's highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6BkB2mTkRE

Ian's highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Wn9lwd3Ds

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-17-13 05:54 AM - Post#150110    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Well, that's why I said "poor man's" and not "he's as good as Andre Iguodala." Not sure Iggy is a Top 30 player anymore, though.

I also dispute that Ian wasn't one of the most athletic guys in the league, but I guess there's no real way to prove that unless you had an Ivy-wide combine. Even then, guards and forwards have different athletic needs.

Anyway, I admit that these sorts of analogies are usually silly (even for elite prospects). But a jack-of-all-trades 6-6 tweener isn't the worst choice, especially since I specified "poor man's."

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-17-13 06:01 AM - Post#150111    
    In response to SRP

Is Love a good passer out of the post (high or low)? I haven't seen that from him. Even if Ian develops a reliable jumper, Love is just a freak anomaly (even among All-Star stretch 4s) with his super high-volume elite 3pt shooting. You're right that Ian's probably a better rebounder than the stats say, though.

I'm with Silver Maple that his post-skills just won't work at the next level -- even at the D-I level, athletic 7-footers could often shut him down. On the bright side, a lot of players improve their jumpers through hard work. Kawhi Leonard was a paltry 20% and 29% 3pt shooter in college but shot 37% from NBA range this year.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-17-13 06:32 AM - Post#150113    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Also, comparing Iggy's NBA highlights with a lesser high school highlight of Ian's (where he was Conference POY in one of the top leagues in the nation, btw) doesn't really make sense.

Hummer's epic swat against UK's Liggins (now in the NBA) or this literal throw-down attest to his current athleticism.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

06-17-13 06:47 AM - Post#150114    
    In response to gokinsmen

And that's why I specified homeless man. Iggy's not a tweener. He's a 3 who is uber athletic. No one looks at Iggy and says, oh jeez, i hope he can keep up with 3's.

He's a homeless guy on skid row. I grabbed a convenient Hummer video. Frankly, I thought it WAS flattering to him. The point is, you can't possibly expect Hummer to do any of the 10 highlights that Iggy performed with the exception of #8 which was a circus shot that all of us could do 1 out of 100 times.

I mean they have nothing at all in common. Andre Iguodala makes a play like that once a night against the best in the world; Ian Hummer makes one a season against not very good competition. It's just a bizarre discussion. AI2 didn't come from a post background, he always played 2/3. The athleticism is off the charts.

I mean that's what's so odd about your post - you took a player in Hummer who's biggest question mark is whether he's athletic enough for the NBA and compared him to a guy who's greatest strength is his athleticism. I would expect you next to compare Rosen to Roy Hibbert.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

06-17-13 10:16 AM - Post#150121    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
Is Love a good passer out of the post (high or low)? I haven't seen that from him.

So what you're saying is that you've never watched him play basketball, right? Because this is such a fundamentally, thoroughly wrong thing to say that there's no other explanation.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

06-17-13 04:56 PM - Post#150133    
    In response to pennhoops

This has become a really dumb thread.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
06-17-13 05:14 PM - Post#150134    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
This has become a really dumb thread.

Yes, but if Hummer gets picked up by an NBA team, what will he do to that team's APR?

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-17-13 07:38 PM - Post#150139    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I compared Rosen to Luke Ridnour...which Rosen ended up doing himself, though Ridnour's an 11-year veteran who's been a starter most of his career. Still, I think it's a useful "role model" to cite even if it's a huge reach.

And Iggy is definitely a tweener (SG/SF). He's even listed alternately as SG and SF and plays both positions. His jumper is not on par with most starting SGs and he's small for an NBA SF.

I have no idea whether Hummer will succeed or not. Probably not...the odds are against anyone not Top 5 pick. Then again, I doubt most people here gave Jeremy Lin any chance of even making an NBA roster much less becoming a starter.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-17-13 07:45 PM - Post#150140    
    In response to pennhoops

• pennhoops Said:
So what you're saying is that you've never watched him play basketball, right? Because this is such a fundamentally, thoroughly wrong thing to say that there's no other explanation.

His career 1.9:1.9 A/T ratio isn't very encouraging. But yeah, I don't watch many T-wolves games so I might be selling him somewhat short...

Now Duncan and the Gasols are great passing bigs. Both the eye test and stats back it up.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

06-17-13 07:53 PM - Post#150141    
    In response to gokinsmen

You won't walk back an obviously terrible comparison. I don't know what to tell you. No one seriously thinks Andre Iguodala is too small to play small forward. He is a "tweener" because he's so talented and can play multiple positions.

I'm not commenting on Ian Hummer's ability to play in the NBA - I could see it working, I could see it failing. I'm commenting on the folly of comparing him to Andre Iguodala in any sense.

SRP 
Postdoc

06-17-13 08:16 PM - Post#150143    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Have to agree that AI is a whole other kind of player. Way quicker and more explosive than Ian.

Still think getting his jumper going is key wherever he plays, but his ability to get rebounds and make plays in the paint on both ends is being underestimated by some. He's really strong in his legs and core and he plays with lots of energy.

One thing that's hard to forecast is if he will continue to have an impact on such a high number of plays at the next level as he did in college. I've noticed that NBA coaches don't like guys who are just placeholders out there--they will play guys who make some mistakes or have deficiencies if those guys are helpfully involved (not "floating") all the time.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

06-17-13 08:33 PM - Post#150144    
    In response to SRP

SRP is right about that - it will help if Ian Hummer is really great at one thing and not so great at some other things. That doesn't really strike me as the way I'd summarize him, but who knows.

I think it's the reason Matt Maloney got to sign a 7 year contract and Jerome Allen played in Europe despite the idea that Jerome was probably the better player.

SRP 
Postdoc

06-17-13 08:56 PM - Post#150145    
    In response to Jeff2sf

If you have one good thing you can do, that definitely makes it easier for coaches to visualize how you can be useful.

But I don't know if it has to be one thing you're good at. You need to be constantly, productively involved in a way the coaches can perceive. A tipped pass, a timely rebound, a quick movement of the ball preceding an assist, a good defensive rotation, a solid screen, and a made jumper, if achieved consecutively on a consistent basis, would earn PT on most teams. (Udonis Haslem and Boris Diaw, to pick two players in the NBA Finals, often look like that.)

That stuff is hard to do, though--players need lots of energy and mental focus as well as skill and physical ability to play that way. Even utility players in the NBA are very good at their roles.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-17-13 10:56 PM - Post#150147    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I understand the scoffing at my comparison. The athleticism gap and high-profile selection will do that. But I'm simply talking about player-type/role model -- a 6-6 jack-of-all-trades SF (which Ian will have to be at the next level).

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-19-13 08:47 PM - Post#150208    
    In response to gokinsmen

Worked out for the Jazz as well:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/56469435- 87/muha...

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-22-13 02:18 AM - Post#150288    
    In response to gokinsmen

Kings workout footage (no sound) featuring various players including Ian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYm4N_6Urbw

Nothing of particular note except for 3:15-3:28 (when he drains four straight 3s).

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

06-28-13 04:36 PM - Post#150573    
    In response to gokinsmen

Hummer invited to try-out for Lakers' Summer League team.

http://www.goprincetontigers.com//ViewArticle.dbml...

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

07-10-13 06:50 PM - Post#150856    
    In response to gokinsmen

Hummer officially makes Lakers' Summer League squad:

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lake rs/post/_/...

Congrats, Ian! Now play fearlessly when you're in there -- high risk, high reward.

He's probably not going to get too many minutes, so he'll have to make an impression in a short span. Make that "risky" pass to show off your court vision. Go for that weak-side block. Don't hesitate on that open 3. Dunk. Can't afford to go 1-3 with 3 rebs and 0 TOs.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
07-10-13 10:30 PM - Post#150860    
    In response to gokinsmen

Awesome. Great for the league.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

07-11-13 08:27 PM - Post#150895    
    In response to mrjames

Hmm. Some confusion.

He wasn't listed in the official Lakers' website release, but he's listed on the Lakers' official Summer League website:

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2013/tea ms/lakers/

Ryan Kelly was listed on the roster even though he's confirmed not to be playing...so maybe Ian was a last-minute replacement? Or who knows what's going on.

FloridaTiger 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 07-11-13
07-11-13 10:01 PM - Post#150900    
    In response to gokinsmen

Well Lakers SF Metta World Peace (nee Ron Artest) was just amnestied, thereby increasing Ian's chances of making the team from 0.5% to 3%.

In all seriousness though, despite his off-and-on-the-court antics I see some similarities between MWP and Hummer. Neither has a great perimeter game and each is a decent though not spectacular passer. They both make up for it with aggressive play, so maybe if Ian adds like 20 pounds he'll have a shot...

I'm still banking on Spain or Italy.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
07-13-13 05:11 PM - Post#150956    
    In response to FloridaTiger

I keep refreshing the page for the Lakers' Roster on the NBA Summer League Website, but they haven't posted their official roster on the NBA site. Darn.

Edited by H78 on 07-13-13 05:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
07-15-13 09:48 PM - Post#151013    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
Hmm. Some confusion.

He wasn't listed in the official Lakers' website release, but he's listed on the Lakers' official Summer League website:

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2013/tea ms/lakers/

Ryan Kelly was listed on the roster even though he's confirmed not to be playing...so maybe Ian was a last-minute replacement? Or who knows what's going on.

Any news? He's listed on the official NBA Summer League Lakers Roster, but does not appear to be there, as of today's Lakers/Clippers game: http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2013/tea ms/lakers/

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

07-16-13 01:49 AM - Post#151021    
    In response to H78

Ach, looks like he didn't make the final cut despite some early (faulty) reporting.

I guess it's off to Europe unless/until he can snag a random training camp invite. Just goes to show how incredible Lin's accomplishment really was (even without the added racial obstacles).

Tiger69 
Postdoc

07-16-13 10:44 AM - Post#151029    
    In response to gokinsmen

Quelle dommage.

Enjoy Europe, Ian. It beats riding the bench in any American city.

H78 
PhD Student
H78
07-16-13 03:58 PM - Post#151042    
    In response to Tiger69

Vraiment, Tiger69.

When I see some of the sloppy play out there, with some guys just trying to ball hog, it's even more of a shame that a team-building player with Hummer's solid skills isn't out there. I'm guessing he may have had a really good offer, or several opportunities, from European team(s) which mandated that he not play NBA Summer League. That's apparently what happened with Greg Mangano last year, and why he didn't play NBA Summer League.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

07-16-13 04:23 PM - Post#151043    
    In response to H78

As much as most Tiger fans are pulling for Ian's chances in the NBA, I think that Kareem Maadux is probably better suited -- especially given his success to date. Do players ever make the jump from Europeon Leagues to the NBA?

SRP 
Postdoc

07-17-13 01:07 AM - Post#151053    
    In response to Tiger69

Some guys get repatriated, but it isn't very frequent. Brandon Jennings is an obvious, though obviously atypical, example--he just played in Europe for a year rather than go to college.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
07-17-13 09:12 PM - Post#151093    
    In response to Tiger69

Look at Chris Copeland, who played for the Knicks in 2012-13. He'd most recently played in Belgium, IIRC. Showed the ability to make shots, and got better defensively and on the boards as the season went on. He was on a one year deal, and ended up signing with the Pacers after it became apparent that the Knicks couldn't afford to re-sign him.

penn62 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-27-05
07-21-13 06:25 PM - Post#151206    
    In response to SRP

Poor example in Jennings. He was too young for the NBA and he knew it. The team knew he would be one and done, so he saw few minutes. The fact is he played behind Ibby that year.

SRP 
Postdoc

07-25-13 05:34 PM - Post#151377    
    In response to penn62

Hence my use of the adjective "atypical."

H78 
PhD Student
H78
09-13-13 04:55 AM - Post#152888    
    In response to SRP

Any news on where Hummer has landed/will land?

H78 
PhD Student
H78
03-04-14 02:13 PM - Post#166067    
    In response to H78

Although a number of participants on this board probably already know this, in January, Ian Hummer signed with ratiopharm Ulm of the German Bundesliga.

How appropriate that the team's "colors" are orange, black and white. Here's an interview with him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pevfZRASWo&a mp;fea...

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
03-04-14 08:56 PM - Post#166105    
    In response to H78

I was aware of the signing, but not the interview. Many thanks for the link!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.249 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:50 AM