Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: The Penn State Game        (Topic#1483)
RedZone 
maximus

Reg: 04-24-05
08-20-05 02:20 PM - Post#9414    

The game at Penn State is on Saturday, November 19, 2005. It is Cornell's third game (after the first two games in the Coaches v. Cancer Classic). However, it is Penn State's season opener AND is the same day as the Michigan State v. Penn State football game at Penn State. The PSU athletic department is attempting to schedule the basketball game for a start time following the conclusion of the football game. Should be a great environment for a basketball game.

Here is the Penn State press release:

http://www.gopsusports.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?anncid=8391

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: The Penn State Game
08-20-05 06:22 PM - Post#9415    
    In response to RedZone

Cornell has 2 guaranteed CvC games?

Oh, and there's nothing I'd rather do after a huge Big 10 football game than see PSU vs. Cornell in bball.

RedZone 
maximus

08-20-05 06:49 PM - Post#9416    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Yes, Cornell is guaranteed two games in the Coaches v. Cancer Classic. We have 28 games this year, 27 against Division I.

As for the Penn State game, if you are a Penn State or Cornell fan/alum, then there is interest in seeing the game. It is opening day for PSU hoops, it is after a football game, it is a Saturday afternoon, I expect a good crowd.

I am sure the Duke fans are really pumped for Penn. The highlight game of their schedule.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

08-20-05 08:55 PM - Post#9417    
    In response to RedZone

When did I or anyone else for that matter claim there would be a great basketball atmosphere at Duke for that game? Although, Duke fans come out for pretty much every game, alot more than PSU fans...and I'm not gonna get into the difference between Penn and Cornell.

If Cornell happens to lose the first CvC game, who is the second one against?

RedZone 
maximus

08-20-05 10:42 PM - Post#9418    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

A horrible Bethune-Cookman team. Cornell is in a horrible field. Here are the other participating teams.

http://www.basketball-u.com/ubbthreads/s...p;page=0#999368

Penn94 
PhD Student

Loc: Dallas, Texas
08-21-05 12:38 PM - Post#9419    
    In response to RedZone

BRF. Just curious. Have you ever been to a Big 10 football game on a non-basketball campus (like PSU or Northwestern) or, for that matter, a football game on a huge pro-football, non-basketball campus (like my other alma mater Texas) on a day where there was a hoops game immediately following the football game? There is basically zero fan spillover because a) the campus doesn't care about hoops (especially a non-marquee game like Cornell), b)the fans are all spent from the football game cheering-wise, c) the students are ready to pass out because of pre-football tailgating/drinking etc.

Don't expect anything other than a "normal" crowd, probably even less because some of the football and hoops regulars will choose football for the day, for the Cornell-PSU game.

RedZone 
maximus

08-21-05 03:32 PM - Post#9420    
    In response to Penn94

Yes, I've been to campuses on the same day of a big time football game and a far less important basketball game. Please understand, I am not arguing with anyone that these games are of equal importance for PSU fans. A Big 10 conference football game is what PSU sports is all about. Yes, I recognize that the PSU-Michigan State football game is THE attraction of the day. However, this is still the season opener for PSU basketball, so it has some significance for the students, alumni and community.

Last year, PSU averaged 7,990 fans per home game. Granted, the football team and hoops team never played on the same day last year and the Big 10 opponents drive those numbers. However, if PSU draws half that number for Cornell, say 4000 fans for the game, it will still be one of the larger crowds Cornell will play in front of all year (only 5500 appeared at the Palestra on a Saturday night last year for Cornell, and Penn was having a terrific Ivy championship season).

PSU fans should show up for the Cornell game. Last year, 5300 showed up to see Sacred Heart, 9700 for Lock Haven, 5,400 for Buffalo and 6,900 for Lehigh.

Unless the Michigan State football game has a DRAMATIC effect on the fan resources of the University (as you seemed to describe), I suspect Cornell will get a nice audience for a game the Big Red could very well win.

Bill Lewis 
Senior

Reg: 12-23-04
08-21-05 06:04 PM - Post#9421    
    In response to RedZone

Penn State is at Michigan State on November 19, 2005

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
08-21-05 06:42 PM - Post#9422    
    In response to Bill Lewis

Is it even worth arguing that the Lock Haven and Lehigh crowds were bolstered by fans of the other team?
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

RedZone 
maximus

08-21-05 09:55 PM - Post#9423    
    In response to Bill Lewis

I guess that ends that debate. Thanks for the correction.

TomPittsburgh 
maximus
TomPittsburgh
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Reg: 11-28-04
08-22-05 05:06 PM - Post#9424    
    In response to RedZone

lol-- much ado about nothing! and I was even thinking about making the 3 hour drive to State College to see the Cornell basketball team.

Bill Lewis 
Senior

Reg: 12-23-04
08-22-05 09:58 PM - Post#9425    
    In response to TomPittsburgh

You can still go to the basketball game. You just won't be able attend the PSU-MSU football game. Another benefit of going to the game - Penn State has a state of the art sports arena. Of course it isn't the Palestra, but it is a very accommodating facility.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.48 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:12 AM