Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ibby        (Topic#152)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-06-04 01:11 PM - Post#692    

What are people thinking about Ibby's performance this year so far? I know there were some expectations that Ibby might challenge for POY this year, and offensively at least, he seems off to a very slow start. (While it could be read that way, this isn't intended to be a sarcastic question.)

From the outside, it looks like he's shooting very poorly but the rest of his game - passing, rebounding and defense - looks pretty good. He's among the nation's leaders in steals thus far.

By the way, not to say that a slow start has all that much to do with Ivy performance - Forte had a TERRIBLE start to the non-Ivy season last year, and didn't heat up until just before the Ivy season. We all know what happened there.

What's the thinking about Ibby's game and development?
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Re: Ibby
12-06-04 02:56 PM - Post#693    
    In response to Bruno

I think he's off to a pretty good start and improving each game.

One thing most people don't realize is that Ibby is a practicing Muslim who fasts during Ramadan. Ramadan ended after Penn's 1st 3 games. Ramadan doesn't mean starvation, but it does involve daytime fasting and can effect strength and daily patterns. Not saying this is an absolute reason for a somewhat listliss beginning, but I personally believe it's a factor. The last 3 games he's been a nightmare for opponents and he's even beginning to shoot the ball better. He needs a few more games under his belt before a decent evaluation.

Anonymous 

12-06-04 03:13 PM - Post#694    
    In response to AsiaSunset

That's fascinating. As a non-Muslim who fasts several times a year, I can tell you that even a daytime fast is enervating. Even after the fast, it takes a while to regain your energy. I can't imagine anyone playing major college basketball effectively right after a fast.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
12-06-04 03:31 PM - Post#695    
    In response to

Maybe that was why Shawn Green chose to play on the night of Yom Kippur, when he hit the HR, as opposed to the next day, when he would have been without food or drink for 18 or so hours.

Anonymous 

12-06-04 06:15 PM - Post#696    
    In response to penn nation

This also left him plenty of time to atone, all the next day.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
12-06-04 09:52 PM - Post#697    
    In response to

I do like what Ibby has shown thus far, and I agree with Asia that he has been improving each game. His defense has been really strong, and his ability to interrupt an offense is impressive. My only real complaint would be his lack of aggressiveness on offense. He has the tools to take people off the dribble and attack the basket, but we have not seen too much of that from him yet this year (Note: when he has attacked the basket good things have happened). When he learns to bring the same aggressiveness he shows on the defensive end to the offensive end, he will be one of the best players in the league, and Penn will be a better team.

-Mike

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.154 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:26 PM