Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ranking the Teams at the 2        (Topic#1541)
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
09-09-05 01:51 PM - Post#9707    

There just aren't many guards returning this year. Penn appears way ahead here to me, with Dartmouth next, and then a clear drop. After that there are some interesting guys who might step forward.

Penn (Jaaber, Whitehurst)
Dartmouth (Lang, Ball)
Yale (Holmes, Holmes)
Harvard (Goffredo, Lambert)
Columbia (Cuff, Montgomery)
Brown (McAndrew, Becker)
Princeton (Buffmire, Shafer)
Cornell (Lisle, Gant)

Rob 
maximus

Reg: 11-21-04
Schafer and Sargeant?
09-09-05 10:00 PM - Post#9708    
    In response to SomeGuy

I don't know where to put him, but Sargeant deserves to be placed ahead of Buffmire. He played 330 minutes, vs 80 for Buffmire, a lot of them at the three, but he was recruited as a one.

I'd say at this point Sargeant should be considered the backup for Savage again, and for Greenman.

Schafer was fourth in minutes and points among the returnees, so he should be the presumed starter at the two.

I don't think those changes necessarily affect the rankings at any of those positions, though.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Schafer and Sargeant?
10-06-05 12:52 AM - Post#9709    
    In response to Rob

At the very end of the season, Buffmire appeared to me to be ahead of both Sargeant and Shafer, though perhaps I missed an injury or Scott was just trying to see what Buffmire could do. That's why I presumed him ahead.

In regard to Shafer, he seemed to be in the doghouse a lot last year, and Scott seems to have a strong preference for big guards. My guess is that Schafer has a difficult road this year with all the freshmen guards (Scott's own recruits) and Sargeant and Buffmire back.

Rob 
maximus

10-06-05 01:44 AM - Post#9710    
    In response to SomeGuy

I think you are probably right on most counts.

Sargeant seemed to lose confidence in his outside shot as the season progressed. Perimeter players in Scott's system need to confidently take (and make) the open threes the system gives them.

Neither Schafer nor Buffmire have looked like pure shooters either, up to now.

But any of the three who showed up this fall with a greatly improved shot would have a good chance to be in the rotation.

I hope Scott's preference for tall guards is strong, as you suggest. And I hope this means his six guard candidates at 6'3" and above all get shots at the rotation. Joe will be fully able to implement the defense he likes only when he does not have a 5'9" guard in the lineup.

Anonymous 

10-06-05 04:32 PM - Post#9711    
    In response to Rob

Rob,

Don't you think that Greenman will be a lock at PG? While he is somewhat of a defensive liability and subject to the trap when he brings the ball up, he is, nevertheless, a decent shooter, knows the PU system, and got about 35 min a game last year. I am certain you are correct about Scott's desire for tall guards, but I think that is one of the reasons why he considers the reestablihment of PU's BB program to be part of a "two year plan."

Rob 
maximus

10-06-05 10:57 PM - Post#9712    
    In response to

I'm curious to see what Joe will do. Greenman does have the strengths and weaknesses you describe, except his stroke is better than decent, it's the best on the team. But too often he has to shoot it quickly or far out, so his percentage suffers.

I'd rather see a rotation of big guards. It could happen.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.011 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:21 PM