Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Groundhog Day        (Topic#16253)
mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
02-09-14 11:18 AM - Post#164236    

I know that was last week, but it feels appropriate watching this team as nothing much changes. I guess the defense has improved a touch -- the Ivy DE rating is 114.3 -- but that just takes the Big Red from legendarily awful to really, really bad. That's probably enough "improvement" to hang around and steal a league win or maybe two.

Big Red Fan's latest theory is that this is all the fault of the senior class because they aren't any good. Since they were Steve's last class, Courtney is off the hook for the season since Bill is honor-bound to give them minutes unlike the evil Tommy Amaker (and every other coach) who makes PT decisions based on ability to help the team. This is, of course, not well thought out and terribly unfair to Tarwater who, while no all-Ivy performer, is the best all-around forward on the team. (Faint praise, I concede). It also doesn't account for Bill's bizarre Jake Matthews fixation and need to force feed him minutes.

It's amazing how poorly constructed this team is. There is no point guard -- though maybe Smith can become one -- and no PG in this year's recruiting class. In fairness, there isn't an offense to run or a post player to feed. There is no true wing, so we have to move our best player (Cressler) out of position and play small. The rest of our guards consist of one-dimensional slashers (Cherry, Hatter, Smith) or one-dimensional jump shooters who don't shoot that well (Scelfo, Matthews). Our forwards, other than Shonn, are a mix of raw but athletic projects (Giddens, Onuorah) high-effort, low-skill guys best suited for reserve duty (Tarwater, Tomic, LaMore) and one really big project that looks years away (Bunce). Our recruiting class consists of more shooting guards (although maybe one of them can shoot) and a rivals 2-star forward who plays pretty much the exact position as Shonn.

I know next year will be better; adding back Shonn will do that regardless of who the coach is. But the roster still looks poorly constructed. If Courtney gets season 5, I have a hard time imagining anything better than the KenPom 220 rating we had last year before the wheels fell off. But that will, at least, be more entertaining than this.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.393 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:55 PM