Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell's Backcourt... a weakness?        (Topic#1632)
RedZone 
maximus

Reg: 04-24-05
10-05-05 09:55 PM - Post#10179    

All the preseason magazines appear to be picking Cornell in the 4th to 6th place range with some lip service made to the Big Red’s potential to challenge Penn for a title. These publications consistently praise Cornell’s deep and talented frontcourt and unanimously place Lenny Collins on the All Ivy 1st Team. Just as consistent, these preseason publications explain that the projected mid-pack finish is due to Cornell’s lack of proven strength in the backcourt.

In my opinion the preseason magazines are somewhat correct with respect to my beloved Big Red. Cornell’s success will indeed depend on whether Steve Donahue gets production out of the backcourt. However, I note that Cornell’s backcourt has more upside this year than it ever has in the past five years.

Both Graham Dow(*) and Khaliq Gant can handle the ball and flat out shoot-it. (Cornell could very well lead the league in three point shooting.) Dow is also probably the second best “on the ball defender” in the League among the guards (after Ibbrahim Jaaber). David Lisle, the third guard, is also a strong defender and can fill in at the either guard spot. Finally, the freshmen are unknown quantities, but among Adam Gore, Jason Battle and Robert Burris, one of them might be a hidden gem (as Jason Canady showed last year).

All this being said, I don’t see another team in the League, outside of Penn, with a more proven backcourt unit. In fact, the entire League appears very down in the backcourt.

(*) Last year was Dow’s breakout year in Ivy play where he played a solid 27 minutes on route to averaging 6.1 points, 4 assists, 2.7 steals, while shooting 50% from the floor. On the year, he shot better than 39% from behind the arc. With an increase in his experience and minutes this year, those numbers should climb higher.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.408 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:19 AM