Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Early Season Reviews        (Topic#166)
Binghamton Jon 

Reg: 11-22-04
12-07-04 01:34 AM - Post#762    

I went to both games in Poughkeepsie and got to see the Quinnipiac game on DirecTV.

This is a Cornell team that has many problems right now, even with the recent wins over St. Bonaventure and Lafayette.

As a team, two issues of concern are rebounding and point guard play.

With respect to rebouding, Rourke has not done the job that Stephenson did.

As with PG play, both Gant and Canady are very poised for frosh, but neither seems to be willing to take the ball down the lane. In fact, in three games, I haven't seen Gant slash yet! Cornell really misses Barnes' ability to break down the defense. Dow on the other hand has been just plain sloppy. Someone has to step up.

Defensively, the guards have been horrible. They are way too slow in the zone and are leaving opponents wide open for great looks.

Rourke and Collins are incredibly talented. Although Rourke still appears to be out of sync with his teammates. I suspect he will adjust over the next few games. He is definitely the team's best athlete.

Collins is the best player I've ever seen in the Donahue program-- and that includes comparisons to guys like Barnes, Ray Mercedes and Wallace Prather. He can play four positions and do everything well.

In sum, I think this team will be better during Ivy play as Rourke adjusts to his teammates and Canady and Collins continue to develop.

CUJacob 
Senior

Reg: 12-05-04
Re: Early Season Reviews
12-07-04 02:06 AM - Post#763    
    In response to Binghamton Jon

I agree with everything you said. I feel Rourke has the potential to be better than stephenson, but he needs to fill that rebounding void. Cornell also struggled to defend Lafayette's big guys today, and that needs to change.

I was very encouraged by CU pulling out today's game. This is a game that last year's team would have lost but maybe CU is starting to win some close ones. Toppert is a great shooter and ET and Rourke have skill, but there is no doubt who the ball needs to go to in the clutch: collins is the clear choice.

good job by canady to hit clutch free throws. will scott has a great shooting touch and has tons of confidence in his shot- he's going to be very good.

all in all, there are definite issues with this team: defensive rebounding and dry spells at the offensive end, mostly. this is most likely about a 6-7 win team in the ivies. there's potential for the future though.

CUSequence 
Freshman

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 12-06-04
12-08-04 03:05 AM - Post#764    
    In response to CUJacob

The other problem is the continued 3 point shooting when there is room inside. At least 5-6 times ET passed the ball out to the perimeter for a 3 pointer when he could have tried to post and get a foul or make a better shot. I saw a lot more progress in the Lafayette game though running the offense. Rourke has to watch his ball handling too.

Anonymous 

12-10-04 02:20 PM - Post#765    
    In response to CUSequence

Dow's play has been surprisingly erratic, creating a problem area where I expect Donahue did not think there would be one, even with the loss of Barnes. I think Gant will emerge, and agree on the 6-7 wins, although it could be worse if Rourke doesn't integrate into the team better. I hope the finals break, with at least some emotional momentum from the recent wins, helps. It's at least encouraging that the losses against similar opponents were first, and that does at least make it seem that the team is gelling better. We will see with Bucknell, St. Francis, Army and Lehigh--need 3 of those 4 to signal improvement (and a reasonable effort against the Orange would be a bonus...)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.161 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:38 AM