Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Jake Silpe to Penn        (Topic#16804)
pennhoops 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
07-30-14 12:55 PM - Post#171846    

Reported by CoBL.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Re: Jake Silpe to Penn
07-30-14 01:17 PM - Post#171850    
    In response to pennhoops

If this MOT PG is half as good as the last one we had, we'll be set for the rest of the decade.

jmverlin 
Junior

Reg: 07-18-12
07-30-14 01:46 PM - Post#171851    
    In response to penn nation

Technically, reported by Jake himself. Here's the story (though I'm going to add a quote from CHEast quote Dave Allen when he calls me back):

http://cityofbasketballlo ve.com/2014/07/cherry-hil...

I can't tell you guys how much I love this get for Penn. I've had a few coaches texting me already that are upset they didn't get him. He's the PG that you guys have been waiting for since Zack Rosen left; he's a winner, has a great attitude, plays his butt off and just knows how to get the job done. This is an "A" class right now and from what I'm hearing, those guys are all committed no matter who's coaching next year.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
07-30-14 02:10 PM - Post#171852    
    In response to jmverlin

Wow - this sounds like a good one. I really liked his video a lot. Jake and Jule sound like the second coming of Allen and Moore. I love it. I also like having Antonio Wood there - maybe PG will finally turn into an area of strength.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
07-30-14 02:27 PM - Post#171854    
    In response to Penndemonium

It really does look like an excellent recruiting class. However (and I hate to be the downer here), we've been down this road before. Penn has had quite a few recruits in recent years who came in with impressive credentials. Unfortunately, very few have panned out. In fact, you could argue that the only one who's really reached his apparent potential was Zack Rosen. The rest have all been disappointments. It's clear to me that this must be attributed to coaching. I hope that we now have a coaching staff that has the ability to take these high school kids and turn them into college players. Otherwise, we'll all continue to grouse about unrealized potential.

palestra38 
Professor

Jake Silpe to Penn
07-30-14 02:36 PM - Post#171855    
    In response to Silver Maple

Actually, Miller recruited 2 pretty damn good classes. Zack was great. Bernardini was very good and could have been an all time player had he not suffered injuries. Belcore was the Begley of that team. Jack Eggleston was every bit as good as Koko. Monckton, Turley, Gaines, Howlett and Cofield all were guys who were good ballplayers who for reasons other than basketball ability did not work out. But absent injury and the Miller meltdown, that was a pretty good set of players. Much much better than we are likely to put out on the court next year. Which raises the issue of whether even if Jerome recruits well, can he get the best out of the team on the court?

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
07-30-14 02:41 PM - Post#171856    
    In response to palestra38

Best news in a very long time (hopefully).

QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
07-30-14 07:19 PM - Post#171866    
    In response to 10Q

Speaking of Antonio Woods, has there been any indication of if he is going to play football?

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
Reg: 11-22-04
07-30-14 08:04 PM - Post#171868    
    In response to QHoops

Don't know how significant it is but he wasn't on the football list of incoming players.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

07-31-14 06:38 AM - Post#171871    
    In response to section110

Heard he will wait on football until sophomore year. Only bb this year.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
07-31-14 07:47 AM - Post#171873    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Good stuff. Congrats to the staff.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
07-31-14 04:54 PM - Post#171890    

• Silver Maple Said:
It really does look like an excellent recruiting class. However (and I hate to be the downer here), we've been down this road before. Penn has had quite a few recruits in recent years who came in with impressive credentials. Unfortunately, very few have panned out. In fact, you could argue that the only one who's really reached his apparent potential was Zack Rosen. The rest have all been disappointments. It's clear to me that this must be attributed to coaching. I hope that we now have a coaching staff that has the ability to take these high school kids and turn them into college players. Otherwise, we'll all continue to grouse about unrealized potential.

This looks like a very good commitment for sure which is great, but base on what criteria does this recruiting class look "excellent"?

Not saying it isn't as I haven't followed as much as I normally do, and not sure how much this Jake bumps us up... but by any of the stuff I have read, we have one of the least heralded classes in the Ivy League and would genuinely love to hear differently.

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
08-28-14 09:47 PM - Post#172403    
    In response to Mike Porter

I just checked the ESPN website, and they now have Silpe rated as the #49 PG & 3 stars. I thought they originally has him as an NR, which had me scratching my head as to why so many people on this board thought he was the second coming of Zack...

With that in mind, I am preparing for a disastrous upcoming season, but this (and a lot of Stoli) might help ease the pain...

PhillyPantsAC 
Freshman

Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 02-09-11
08-29-14 11:28 AM - Post#172418    
    In response to Cvonvorys

From the Insider write-up on ESPN:

• Quote:
Updated 08/28/2014

Strengths:
He owns every intangible you could want in a point guard-he's super tough, highly intelligent, and a great passer. His toughness resonates every aspect of his floor game giving him a great motor and allowing him to maximize his physical tools on both ends. He's a master of fakes, with both his feet and the ball, and has a definite moxy and presence about him at the point. He sees the floor, moves the ball, puts his passes on the money, and consistently creates with deceptive quickness off the dribble. He's also a better defender than he is often given credit for.

Weaknesses:
He can make some shots but he isn't a great shooter. His mechanics and release point can both be inconsistent at times and it's likely not due to a lack of reps. He's not naturally explosive but works hard to maximize the physical tools he does have. There are moments when his competitiveness can get the better of him at times and he can try and do too much.

Bottom Line:
He's not an elite athlete or shooter but he's a coach's dream at the point because he's as tough and competitive as they come, a true floor general, and natural leader.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
08-30-14 10:13 AM - Post#172436    
    In response to PhillyPantsAC

Zack Rosen wasn't lacking reps coming into college, and yet he improved his shot and added tons to his game during his career. Hopefully Silpe can do the same.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

08-30-14 02:09 PM - Post#172437    
    In response to Chip Bayers

It sounds like we got the floor general we desperately needed.

Redfish 
Masters Student
Redfish
Loc: under a bridge in Phoenix...
Reg: 11-26-04
08-30-14 07:35 PM - Post#172440    
    In response to Charlie Fog

But not the Commander in Chief from the bench?

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
09-02-14 08:11 PM - Post#172512    

Looks like Jackson Donahue, Collin McManus, and Jule Brown also have an Insider Scouting Report on ESPN. Can you share those as well?

PhillyPantsAC 
Freshman

Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 02-09-11
09-03-14 01:24 PM - Post#172543    
    In response to Cvonvorys

Jackson Donahue - ESPN 65

• Quote:
Strengths:
Donahue is a big time shot-maker who has deep range and the ability to make tough shots in bunches once he gets going. He owns the swagger that all elite level shooters possess and so he can also be a threat to make contested shots in late clock situations. He's capable of stopping to fire quick in transition, coming off screens or making mid-range pull-ups alike and has also improved his ability to come off a secondary pick and roll as well as attack a bad close-out. He's tough and competitive as well as a great teammate.

Weaknesses:
He's slightly undersized for a two-guard and not a naturally explosive athlete. He's not going to blow by anyone off a live dribble or play above the rim and is also vulnerable to occasion match-ups with bigger, stronger, and more athletic guards. Shot selection was a problem early in his career, but he's made great strides in that area since arriving at Northfield Mount Hermon.

Bottom Line:
Donahue is a big time shot-maker who has improved by leaps and bounds within the last year. His recruitment was on the verge of blowing up until Penn scored an early commitment from him in the spring of 2014.

Collin McManus - ESPN 63

• Quote:
Strengths:
He's a true center and a late blooming one at that-meaning he's made significant strides late in his high school career and seems to be turning the corner at just the right time. He owns good size, a big frame, and is an excellent post defender. He understands high-low basketball, has good hands, and knows how to seal to score. He's worked hard to improve his body, has a high release inside the lane, and can score with both hands around the rim.

Weaknesses:
Mobility and athleticism are his two biggest challenges. He tends to run the floor in correlation to his confidence and can lag behind a high speed game. He's very limited outside of five feet from the rim, on both ends of the floor. Offensively, he'll rarely be a scoring threat beyond that range while defensively his lack of mobility is a major obstacle.

Bottom Line:
He'll never be a natural athlete but he's got clear tools and a proven learning curve and so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him develop into a very solid center in the Ivy League.

Jule Brown - ESPN 60

• Quote:
Strengths:
Brown is a long, mobile, and fluid combo-forward who can play and defend multiple positions. He's a true mismatch problem at either forward position. He moves, covers the court, and handles the ball like a true wing, allowing him to make plays off the bounce against less mobile four-men, but he also came up the ranks playing inside-out and is still plenty capable of taking advantage of equal or smaller defenders around the rim. He's a good mid-range shooter and now a capable threat out to the three-point line. He plays bigger than his listed size as a rebounder and interior defender but is equally capable of sliding his feet on the perimeter.

Weaknesses:
His offensive game is still far more efficient from inside of 12-15 feet. While he can make open threes on occasion, he'll also mix in his fair share of bad misses, even with room and rhythm. He also has a tendency to try to do too much off the dribble, which can lead to unnecessary turnovers, and most learn to be more efficient with his bounces.

Bottom Line:
He's a mobile and versatile combo-forward who has continued to improve his game and expand his skill set throughout each of his years on the high school and grassroots circuits.

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
09-03-14 02:09 PM - Post#172547    

Thanks AC!
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

09-03-14 02:27 PM - Post#172548    
    In response to 13otto

Otto, can you link the Krug steal and dunk? I never get tired of that one.

DM06 
Freshman

Reg: 01-09-13
09-03-14 02:39 PM - Post#172549    

PhillyPantsAC always brings the goods.

Putting aside the merits of ESPN's rankings, Silpe is our first three-star recruit since ESPN revamped its ranking system a few years back.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
Re: Jule Brown
09-03-14 03:23 PM - Post#172550    

The fact that Jule will be playing for Coach Greg Downer at Lower Merion this year can only help him to develop. Lower Merion plays excellent fundamental basketball (including DEFENSE) under Coach Downer who has been very successful at Lower Merion (even, or maybe especially, in the 18 years since he had Kobe).

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
09-03-14 03:51 PM - Post#172555    
    In response to 13otto

These sound like three players whom a smart, competent, well-run, well-organized coaching staff could build a very strong Ivy team around.

I wish we had that coaching staff.

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
09-03-14 05:49 PM - Post#172560    
    In response to Charlie Fog

Here you go, Charlie:
http://letsgoquakers.com/01281995PrincetonatPe nn.mpg

Might even make that one my Avatar, as it probably is time for a change.

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
09-03-14 06:05 PM - Post#172561    

• Silver Maple Said:
These sound like three players whom a smart, competent, well-run, well-organized coaching staff could build a very strong Ivy team around.

I wish we had that coaching staff.

I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy, so I'm hopeful that maybe (just maybe) we have a coaching staff that can parlay that class with another recruiting class of three more similarly talented players at their respective positions. Good recruiting just might trump inexperienced coaching. And if the staff puts together a couple more similarly talented recruiting classes, you might just find that the staff isn't so inexperienced any more. Only time will tell....

palestra38 
Professor

09-04-14 09:36 AM - Post#172565    
    In response to 13otto

Gotta love you Otto. As you know, I am as much of a "glass half full guy" as anyone, or so I thought. I predicted that we would compete for the title in 2012 and thought that we had the talent to make a very good showing last year. But after last year's disaster, and the subsequent graduation and/or expulsion of more than half the team and over 60% of the minutes, this is a situation where there are a couple of drops in the glass.

You win for most optimistic Penn fan.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
09-04-14 05:45 PM - Post#172580    
    In response to palestra38

I'm calling for an 11 seed right now.

Chuck 
Masters Student
Chuck
09-13-14 04:49 PM - Post#172845    
    In response to 13otto

On that schedule you're talking about finding out if the coaching staff is any good in 3 or 4 years. Lord help us if we have to wait that long to figure out what to do with JA.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:10 AM