Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Username Post: Awful Football Loss        (Topic#16907)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
09-20-14 06:38 PM - Post#173044    

Things just keep getting better. Lost to a Jacksonville team that is at a lower football level playing in a high school field. Had a 14-3 lead and 1st and goal at the 3. Got to the 1 on 4th down and kicked a FG. They deserve to lose when they do that. They will lose, as always, to Villanova next week, which if I'm not mistaken, will be their 6th in a row overall. Between football and basketball, this could be a 30 loss season.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
09-20-14 09:56 PM - Post#173049    
    In response to palestra38

At least you weren't sitting in the maternity ward trying to watch a once-every-5-minute-updat ing espn gamecast...

palestra38 
Professor

09-21-14 06:01 AM - Post#173053    
    In response to Quakers03

I don't know---is it better to be in labor, or to be following Penn-Jacksonville football on my phone? Congrats!

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
09-21-14 08:25 AM - Post#173055    

yes that was bad loss to a team they should beat and they gave it away. Let's remember that we tend to treat the out of conference games like pre season in part because we open the season against teams that have already played 2 or 3 games. They will be better by the time we start the Ivy season as usual. The good news is that we have a solid QB and more depth at the skill positions than we have had in a while and the rest of the league does not look that strong based on yesterdays performance. Besides, the unis are great. I may even come up for homecoming. As for Nova, hope springs eternal.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
09-21-14 12:24 PM - Post#173059    
    In response to Quakers03

Congratulations!

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
09-21-14 11:26 PM - Post#173061    
    In response to SteveChop

Thanks guys. She will most certainly be making her first Palestra appearance by the time Ivy season rolls around.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

09-22-14 09:17 AM - Post#173064    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
yes that was bad loss to a team they should beat and they gave it away. Let's remember that we tend to treat the out of conference games like pre season in part because we open the season against teams that have already played 2 or 3 games. They will be better by the time we start the Ivy season as usual. The good news is that we have a solid QB and more depth at the skill positions than we have had in a while and the rest of the league does not look that strong based on yesterdays performance. Besides, the unis are great. I may even come up for homecoming. As for Nova, hope springs eternal.

The last time we opened against a Pioneer team was against San Diego, no? And didn't we put up 60-something against them? And weren't they coached by (an admittedly much younger but still) Jim Harbaugh?

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
Awful Football Loss
09-22-14 10:43 AM - Post#173065    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:
:) Thanks guys. She will most certainly be making her first Palestra appearance by the time Ivy season rolls around.

you think that's a good idea given the increased focus on abuse?

Edited by Jeff2sf on 09-22-14 10:44 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

09-22-14 12:36 PM - Post#173069    
    In response to pennhoops

Correct - and San Diego just beat Princeton by 10 and Jacksonville easily handled San Diego.

palestra38 
Professor

09-22-14 12:40 PM - Post#173070    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Maybe so, but Penn dominated the game and had a chance to put it away and chose to kick a FG at the 1. At our level, that kind of decision is just wrong. Gives the other team a shot of confidence. And of course, blowing a 12 point lead late didn't help matters. While I wasn't there, listening to it on radio and following on the tracker made it appear that we should have won by 2-3 touchdowns. I know it's true that it's their 3rd game and our first---when are we going to bring football into the 21st Century, start earlier and play in the playoffs?

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

09-22-14 01:12 PM - Post#173072    

There were two turning points. One was the interception Torgersen threw when Penn was marching on its way to increase the 12 point lead. He actually rolled away from pressure, had plenty of time and threw a perfect spiral to a DB. He must just not have seen him as everything was flowing left as he rolled left.

The second was a short 3rd down pass that went through Kulsar's hands and forced a Penn punt late in the 4th. It was raining pretty hard at the time and it was not a simple catch, but it did go right off his hands and was there for the taking.

Both plays were followed by the two long Jacksonville drives which accounted for their comeback win.

I didn't love the fg from the one, but I think Marsh and Wilcox were both sidelined at that point and they had just stopped the Strouss wildcat attempt. I would have gone for it, but it was not as clear cut as you make it out to be.

All in all - the new offense is so much better, the QB looked pretty good for game 1 and it was not the disaster people have made it out to be. It was a winnable game though.

Ted 
Junior

Reg: 12-23-12
Awful Football Loss
09-22-14 09:32 PM - Post#173090    

You're right that the decision to kick the FG from the 1 probably wasn't as clear cut as we all thought it should be. However, it immediately brought me back to last season's final game against Cornell, when after a magnificent 3 TD comeback against the Big Red, and with little no time left on the clock, we go for the for the tie and OT, and of course the kick is blocked. In the last game of the season, with nothing on the line for either team, why not go for the win? Much as I love Al B and all of his teams, he can be a little too conservative for my taste, sometimes.

Edited by Ted on 09-22-14 09:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Awful Football Loss
09-23-14 01:39 AM - Post#173092    
    In response to Ted

• Ted Said:
In the last game of the season, with nothing on the line for either team, why not go for the win?

If that was 1995 (or earlier), Coach Bagnoli would have gone for two and the win. But with overtime coming into play in 1996, the game was not going to end in a tie, so the drama of the two-point conversion (for the win) in the final minute has been taken out of the equation in all of college football.
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

palestra38 
Professor

09-27-14 10:05 PM - Post#173215    
    In response to 13otto

This is the problem with a lame duck season---Penn absolutely destroyed today. Meanwhile, Yale beat Army. Best Ivy win since Penn beat Navy almost 30 years ago. We will get destroyed in football this year. Basketball will then get destroyed.

Worst Penn Season. Ever.

Chuck 
Masters Student
Chuck
09-27-14 11:10 PM - Post#173217    

Penn athletics is slipping into an abyss, its sad. The Bilsky legacy is a whole lot of really nice facilities enjoyed by some really bad teams. Well, there's always women's squash.

Nova could have scored 80 today if they'd wanted to.

Ted 
Junior

Reg: 12-23-12
09-28-14 10:45 AM - Post#173224    
    In response to Chuck

Hang on guys. Penn has gotten thrashed by teams above their level in many previous seasons, and gone on to have very good seasons of their own, including some championships. This may not be one of those years, but that was a very, very good Nova team out there yesterday. And all I could think about Yale beating Army is that Army must REALLY stink this year.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
09-28-14 11:16 AM - Post#173226    
    In response to Ted

Agreed-- way to early to push the panic button. The football coach and his staff have earned our confidence. Let's see what happens in the coming weeks.

palestra38 
Professor

Awful Football Loss
09-28-14 11:28 AM - Post#173227    
    In response to Silver Maple

You're right that we have lost to Villanova before--every time, as a matter of fact, but we never have lost to them this badly, nor have we lost to a team like Jacksonville before. Dartmouth has beaten us only once since 1998. You know they are chomping at the bit to get at us.

Let me add that I am not a fan of this kind of "victory tour" lame duck year. We just had it with Bilsky and it was terrible. I'm not happy with a new AD coming in to a fait accompli with the hiring of Bagnoli's assistant. To me, it looks like Bilsky made sure that she would be saddled with the basketball coach for at least one year (it's shocking that we don't know the exact length of Jerome's extension either) and a new football coach hired to be the guy after she was installed as AD.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

09-28-14 12:05 PM - Post#173228    

Yesterday's loss was worse than some of the prior losses to Villanova. Still - this Villanova team is a lot better than past teams we've played and that QB could end up being 1st team All American.

Penn showed its inexperience at QB with some obvious misreads between the QB and the WR's. Far worse though was the play of our DBs. They were just awful - both in totally blown coverage assignments and in so many missed tackles. This was supposed to be one of the strengths of this year's team.

Villanova would have crushed any Ivy team and obviously the score would have been worse had Robertson not been lifted. Look what UNH did to Dartmouth and Nova would have handled UNH pretty easily. The gap has widened between the Ivies and top FCS teams. Hats off to Yale for beating Army, but the league as a whole is slowly being destroyed by the Ivy Presidents. the gutless Robin Harris and ADs, who do not hold the real power necessary to save the league from total irrelevancy.

Penn7277 
PhD Student

Loc: Lancaster, PA
09-28-14 04:45 PM - Post#173231    

Villanova just seems to be a total mismatch for Penn. Games were close initially but have been getting progressively worse. Perhaps we should consider stopping the series until the playing field is level, not that it ever will be.

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.164 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:34 AM