Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 2014-15        (Topic#16977)
mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
10-17-14 03:19 PM - Post#173932    

This year has to be better, right? The bar isn't that high.

The return of Shonn Miller, who was first team all-Ivy before his injury, should be enough by itself to guarantee a better season. If nothing else, Shonn's rebounding and shot-blocking should be enough to improve the Big Red's defense from last year's horrific numbers.

The return of Galal Cancer from a one year "sabbatical" is less exciting. As a Sophomore, Cancer was highly inefficient (88.3 ORAT). It's unlikely a year off is going to help his decision-making. (Full disclosure: I was high on Galal as a Freshman, but his game never really improved.)

I'm modestly optimistic/hopeful about David Onuorah (100.5 ORAT). He was raw last season, but his offensive rebounding was impressive and he is the kind of player who can refine his game and make a big jump. I'm also curious how Robert Hatter performs; I can't shake this sense that he's an Ivy League World B. Free.

While BRF seems to think that Cornell has the best recruiting class in the Ivy League again (an annual tradition), I'm not as optimistic. Wil Bathurst did seem to rise in the eyes of scouts over his senior year at Olean, but he's a 6'3" forward. Riley Glassmann was supposed to be the outside shooter to replace Cressler, but he left the program and, reportedly, will try to walk-on at Indiana.

Still, 2-26 is an easy act to follow.

mountainred 
Masters Student

11-12-14 05:48 PM - Post#175312    
    In response to mountainred

The Cornell Game Notes give the following projected starting five: Cancer, Cherry, Hatter, Miller and Onuorah. That could be interesting to watch. Hatter used just shy of 30% of his possessions last season and Cherry was just a percentage point below that. Miller and Cancer were in the 20% range when we last saw them in red. I'm very curious to see how these guys play as a unit.

mountainred 
Masters Student

11-14-14 11:11 PM - Post#175532    
    In response to mountainred

A slightly shorter wait for the first win this season.

Beating an A-10 team, even a bad A-10 team, is a nice way to start the season. First win over the A-10 for Courtney.

Miller (21p/13r) and a more experienced Onuorah will give up far fewer inside chances than last season's team. The guards will be up and down. Today Hatter was up (21p); Cherry nearly had a quadruple double (9p, 10r, 7a, 8 tos); and Cancer and Smith were pretty quiet. And that was about it. It was a six man rotation.

To be clear, George Mason looked awful. They just barely hit 30% of their shots and needed garbage time to get there. Not all of their shots were good ones, but they missed a lot of good looks.

The offense was very 3-ball driven, again. Before garbage time, about half our points were on threes. Shonn Miller lived behind the arc; he hit 4 of 6 from out there and buried two with his foot on the line. I guess it works if he shoots 67% from out there, but just how likely is that?

Still, after last season, it's a nice win.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.622 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:25 PM