Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: What the stats say - DSU        (Topic#17106)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-16-14 09:13 PM - Post#175680    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

You are absolutely correct. And if Jerome doesn't take the ball out of his hands when he was killing Delaware State, we win that game.

Sometime, Jerome will learn how to coach. But it won't be with the Quakers.

Aww-Humbug 
Sophomore

Reg: 11-15-13
11-17-14 09:21 AM - Post#175699    
    In response to palestra38

It's so funny how you guys criticize a person that is needed more thanks anyone on the team. Do you realize he shot 45% from the field. That's Damn good for a guard. What I liked about the turnovers is that they were b/c of trying to get others involved. Not from ball handling mistakes. Also he made some good passes that weren't converted on. He played better defense than last yr. Towards the end of the game no one even wanted to shoot the ball except Sam Jones. DNH definitely needs to get into shape b/c he really didn't contribute anything. If Hicks didn't play this is a 30+ loss. Talk about him now but cry later when he is gone!

palestra38 
Professor

11-17-14 09:39 AM - Post#175700    
    In response to Aww-Humbug

I assume that you are not responding to me because I already posted those exact thoughts.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
11-17-14 09:40 AM - Post#175701    

Aww-Humbug - Hicks received overwhelming praise in this thread. It's rare that this board is ever going to be unanimous about anything.

The 45% from the field is remarkable because he was forced to take a lot of shots this game. Plus he hustled on both sides of the court for 38 minutes, we all got that.

Aww-Humbug 
Sophomore

11-17-14 09:59 AM - Post#175702    
    In response to TheLine

This is in response to the talk about A/TO ratio and the thoughts about volume scoring. Like Ancient Quaker said sometimes that stat is overrated. Especially when the person is responsible/needed for most of the scoring. Penn desperately needs DNH to get in shape and for Howard to step up. The rookies did show some promise but to much can't be expected of them. Auger showed a lot of toughness and Jones isn't scared to let it fly.

palestra38 
Professor

11-17-14 10:10 AM - Post#175703    

Jones has great form and absolutely no fear. He will be a real contributor to this team. I'm not too worried about his shooting percentage in that one game. I'm worried about DNH being too tired at the end of the game to lift up his arms and make gimme layups that would have clinched the victory.

Aww-Humbug 
Sophomore

11-17-14 10:19 AM - Post#175705    

I agree. He had like a six inch vertical. The hip surgery definitely slowed him down. Penn needs his inside presence. That will open up the outside shooting of course. I also questioned the small ball Penn played late.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
11-17-14 10:42 AM - Post#175706    

I take the general point about Jones. But you know, every game I would see Julian Harrell put up bad shooting numbers, and every game we said that would correct itself because he was obviously a player and it never really did. I got a lot more out of Jones than I thought I would. So I'm encouraged for sure, just tempering things a bit.

palestra38 
Professor

11-17-14 10:49 AM - Post#175707    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Obviously, we are only talking a one-game eye test here. The kid has the best shooting form I have seen in a Penn player in a while. Doesn't mean the shots will go down (Tommy McMahon being a kid whom everyone thought would be a dead on shooter, but for a number of reasons, never was), but I think they will.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
What the stats say - DSU
11-17-14 10:50 AM - Post#175708    

Now I better understand Steve Danley's post re: Hicks as a modern PG. This is a variation of Iverson as a PG with Foreman and Woods playing the role of alternate ball handler and distributor. I didn't think Hicks was going to be able to pull off an AI type of performance (overwhelming focal point of offense with less of the ballhandling responsibility than AI had) but he did.

If Saturday is indicative of Hicks' role this year then his role is appropriate given the talent level and inexperience around him. We're going to have to live with ugly TO numbers, as long as the rest of his game is good then it's OK. Just no 'dribble off the foot' or 'go 1-on-4 to the hoop' TOs please.

The rest of the team needs to step up their game as this approach is not going to work during conference play, the defenses will key on Hicks and others will need to make their shots.

Edited by TheLine on 11-17-14 11:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-17-14 10:53 AM - Post#175709    

I used to know a college coach (different sport) who would say that, with a freshman, the most you can hope for in his first game "is that he doesn't step on his own d1ck and make a $chmuck of himself."

By that measure, we're off to a rollicking start with these guys. Seriously-- it's just the first game of the season. Several 'shmen saw meaningful minutes, and weren't too horrible. That's encouraging. I'm going to wait 5-6 more games before I allow myself to start forming opinions. I suggest the rest of you do the same.

LocusBB 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-27-13
11-17-14 12:25 PM - Post#175712    

I agree Howard has to step up and stay engaged, I see it in flashes. I don't know what they are running but he stands opposite of the action all the time. They need to find ways to get him the ball more, he need more than 7 shots. They played well and if Howard keeps it and try to attack rather than pass to henry who misses a bunny. They win the game with Howard and Henry not playing well. On to Tues

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

11-17-14 12:33 PM - Post#175713    
    In response to LocusBB

Clearly we lost yet another winnable game but Delaware State was not quite the awful team I expected to see. That center is a real force and the big forward who knocked down the 3's could definitely do some damage in our league.

Was wondering - what's up with Dylan Jones? Anybody know why he was in street clothes and what his status is? I believe he was expected to be option #1 backing up DNH.

palestra38 
Professor

11-17-14 12:40 PM - Post#175714    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Disagree Asia. Their Center did nothing and our freshmen were able to shut down their perimeter game and force them into bad shots. They had a guy who was given too many wide open 3's and we took too long to adjust and they generally just threw up bad shots. Reminded me of FDU and Monmouth when we used to beat the pizz out of teams like that. They would be undisciplined and inefficient--we would get much better shots and win by 20 or more. Del State is like that. Unfortunately, we are not what we once were.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

11-17-14 01:00 PM - Post#175716    

Their center did nothing? You're kidding. He blocked about 6 shots in the 1st half, had a few nice post moves and totally limited Penn's ability to attack the basket. He even made some free throws.

palestra38 
Professor

What the stats say - DSU
11-17-14 01:19 PM - Post#175718    

That's what I get for looking at the ESPN box. I just wonder how many of those blocks were against DNH, who simply couldn't get off his feet. I don't recall a Gminski-like rejection of anyone who came down the lane.

Here's the ESPN box--lists Gray as a guard:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=4 005...

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
11-17-14 01:22 PM - Post#175719    

My thoughts from another brutal sports day:

They played hard and I already found myself liking this group more than the prior few years. It was nice to see some energy and the offensive boards said it all.

How anyone can criticize freshman in their first game blows my mind. We got more from Freshman yesterday than we have in years. Granted a lot of that is as a result of the minutes being there, but I saw some basketball skill and some high energy and it was enjoyable to watch.

It was great to see DNH not only passing out of double teams (he only put it on the floor once or twice and they were collapsing all game) and we actually had guys stick some jumpers. But man did he just kill them missing those two layups. Killed them. They were game-sealers. Half of this board can jump higher than he can right now.

As others have noted, Tony just had no legs left and even still that regulation shot almost fell. When he airballs a pull up 3 you know there's trouble. Hopefully the freshman learn to play with and compliment him.

I still don't know what I think about the new lights hanging down. It does a good job of disguising an empty 200 level (although the crowd Saturday was very good for DSU) and I kind of like the way it makes the court look, but they have to stop with the flashing lights intro. It was almost as awful as the pregame "highlight reel." Hopefully that will be updated as we get some non-practice time or some non-blowout game highlights from these guys.

Why did Jerome call a timeout up 6 with 6 to go? It's not like DSU had gone on a big run and we didn't have a string of poor offensive possessions either. I didn't understand it. As for Jerome, it's just another example of the team not being able to win a close game. As this pattern persists, you have to wonder what kind of a difference good coaching can make in those situations.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

11-17-14 02:16 PM - Post#175720    
    In response to Quakers03

There was a higher level of energy for sure and I think it was both noticed and appreciated. We also didn't jump screens like the last few years and as a result kept our thin squad on the floor without committing that many silly fouls.

So - there was enough there to keep me interested. It would be nice to see Penn win a few close games though.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
Re: What the stats say - DSU
11-17-14 02:31 PM - Post#175721    

He had at least one on DNH, maybe two. But the others were Foreman, Woods and maybe Howard. The ball ended up in my lap on two of them.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Re: What the stats say - DSU
11-17-14 02:48 PM - Post#175725    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

Blocked Louis and Hicks as well.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.458 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:03 AM